FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Part #'s

I was getting ready to order some "pan headscrews" and "plastic rivets" you referred to in your expose the battery task. Both part #'s are the same (90269-06008. Help! I added a "Corbin solution" a few days ago and share your experience for 1st time under the cowling. 2 tedious hours ;>). I worried about losing the screws. Auto Zone has the plastic rivets. I am on back order for the new FJR manual.

·
Registered
143 Posts
One of the first things I had to do was get to the battery to hook up my heated gear pigtail. It really isn't that bad. Just take your time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can you send this excellent post to Yamaha America, or whatever it's called. I agree completely with every suggestion. I will buy the redesigned part that allows battery access.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice Write Up!

Wow, there is nothing like photos along with the text. While waiting for my new, red 2014 FJR to arrive this was a maintenance item I was wondering about. This will make it much easier to address when the time comes.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Just exactly how often do you all need to access your battery? After I put a battery tender pigtail on mine, I don't expect to see it again for years.
It's not just the battery nestled behind all that plastic. Several fuses also lurk there. Would be a huge pain in the buttocks to have to access a fuse on the side of the road, at midnight, in the rain, with 18,000 mosquitos after you and you don't have a working flashlight.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My cousin and I did the tear apart in his garage last Friday. Could NEVER get the cowl off. Started taking the side panels off and was able to remove the right cover to get to to the battery without removing the cowl. Put in a Fuze Block and hopefully won't have to get into the battery until time for a replacement and then it will go to the shop.

Rod.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I've had the cowl and battery panel off about 5 times now. This last time took me about 4 minutes. Prying off the centre cowl - yeah - it's a nightmare the first time - feels like it's going to break. Just have to grab the big bulbous parts one at a time and pull them down and back. Does not need to be pried with any tools. The snaps are really tight, so it feels like it may break, but it doesn't. **** good quality plastic! Removing the screws and snaps from the left panel (the one around the storage box) helps give a bit more room and makes it a little easier. My advice to Rod: Carefully count all the screws and clips you have removed - sounds like you may have something still holding it on there. Don't forget the headlight adjuster knobs (and their tiny little retainer screws).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Let's be fair guys.

I took off my 2013 FJR without the benefit of this thread. It was a bit of struggle mainly not knowing how to pull the top back cover off the shinny upper cowling because apprehensive of breaking it.

Now I have remove the same panel about half a dozen times and appreciate the parts are quite robust for this type of pulling apart. All I need is a coffee small timber stirrer off McDonalds.

I have done this job with my 2005 FJR and also on a Honda BlackBird before as I was mess around with fitting extra accessories. It is a bit tricky on the 2013 model but having done it several times I would say it is not as difficult as some have made out. Stipping the side cowling instead of the common top back plastic panel is the wrong way but it did cross my mine too when I started to remove it for the first time.

I think the one-piece common upper back panel is quite stiff and clip tight to the front cowling. So instead to taking it off it may be in the first instance better to unclip first (or lift up) the small portion of the front cowling at the inner side of the movable screen which is quite flexible. Once this is done just clip one hole at a time on each side and the whole will come off.

The design will be appreciated when clip back this top back panel and find everything exactly match as nothing has happen, nothing is broken and still the same after half a dozen times.

·
Registered
355 Posts
This may be of interest to those with 2013's regarding the battery access:

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/155322-gen3-battery-access-made-easier/

Copied from the above link:

Starting with late 2013 model year production, the right side cowling inner panel was
changed to allow improved access to the electrical components beneath this
panel.... This is straight from Yamaha's Tech Exchange.

With this new right side cowling inner panel, you will no longer need to remove the
CENTER cowling inner panel. Those with the old style can replace it with this
new style... of course, you have to pay for it.

The Yamaha part number for this new panel is: 1MC-2836N-01-00

·
Registered
839 Posts
This may be of interest to those with 2013's regarding the battery access:

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/155322-gen3-battery-access-made-easier/

Copied from the above link:

Starting with late 2013 model year production, the right side cowling inner panel was
changed to allow improved access to the electrical components beneath this
panel.... This is straight from Yamaha's Tech Exchange.

With this new right side cowling inner panel, you will no longer need to remove the
CENTER cowling inner panel. Those with the old style can replace it with this
new style... of course, you have to pay for it.

The Yamaha part number for this new panel is: 1MC-2836N-01-00
Off topic, but why are they not accepting applications for new accounts over there? I would sure like to join.

Dan

·
Registered
417 Posts
I finally got around to removing my battery last night. I followed these instructions to a tee and had no issues. The plastic clips are very tight. If I didn't have so much experience removing automotive plastic clips (former auto body tech) it probably would have taken me longer. I found SBandit's "wiggle" method worked great on the instrument cowl.

I also installed a battery tender pigtail, but mine isn't long enough to make it under the seat. I only have the battery tender jr., so I'm guessing the full sized tender comes with a longer pigtail. I have the other end of the pigtail hiding behind the fairing on the right hand (battery) side. To access I will simply remove the adjustable heat deflection piece on the fairing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
UPDATE!!!

Yamaha has released a new cowling piece that fits 2013 which eliminates the need to remove the rest of the stuff.

;):D:):cool:;):D:eek::cool:

And it's real easy to modify your 2013 piece to be exactly like it. Read all the details and see detailed pics HERE

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is my first Yamaha that I've ridden (FJR) 2012. I LOVE it...took some getting used to since all my bikes have been HD's. My wife just raises her eyes...she has a Heritage softail....and says "whatever...it's your bike. Just ride in front of me so people don't think I'm with you." Ha Ha Ha...but when she's tired and wants to stop cuz her harley has beat her up for the last 50 miles (weenie) I'll just laugh. Been there, done that...NEVER again. This FJ is so comfy...Had it up to about 85 mph since I'm just breaking it in and not a wiggle. Not enough o's in smooth to describe the ride.
I want to put my battery tender wire on the battery and have found a couple of posts and decided that it's going to be a royal pia. But I'm gonna try it when I have a couple hours to burn...how better to get to know your bike right???? Maybe I'll have my brother in law help me...he's terribly OCD which makes me crazy but he never does anything without thinking it through.
Enough rambling..glad to be in the FJR owners group...

·
Registered
565 Posts
Will this work on a 2012???
I don't believe the '12 model is as difficult to access as the '13 is the first year of the gen III……...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Welcome golfnut to the world of the motorcycles where the participants actually practice personal hygiene! (laughing)

21 - 40 of 59 Posts