FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Been about a month since I talked to my dealer and they ordered the switch but haven’t heard a thing. The weathers been pretty bad with the snow and all just really starting to go away so I’m in no rush to ride over there. I would prefer a good rainstorm to wash all the salt/sand off the roads first.

But it’s getting up into the 30/40’s f so I’m thinking it’s about time, I’ve really got the bug ! And since I only did about 500mi across 3 bikes last year due to my back problems I’VE REALLY GOT THE BUG FOR A RIDE !

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Been about a month since I talked to my dealer and they ordered the switch but haven’t heard a thing. The weathers been pretty bad with the snow and all just really starting to go away so I’m in no rush to ride over there. I would prefer a good rainstorm to wash all the salt/sand off the roads first.

But it’s getting up into the 30/40’s f so I’m thinking it’s about time, I’ve really got the bug ! And since I only did about 500mi across 3 bikes last year due to my back problems I’VE REALLY GOT THE BUG FOR A RIDE !

Steve I don't know how you take it (mentally) February was really rough this year in my part of Ohio and at one point I went 8 days without riding and it was driving me bat crap crazy staring out the window wondering when the ice/snow was going to melt enough to get out.

I got my first Covid shot yesterday and my arm is a little stiff and really sore this morning and my first worry when I woke up was whether I was going to get to ride today. I'll probably try lol

I feel for ya brother.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Just got the dealer call a batch of brake switches arrived finally.

Reactions: the Ferret

·
Registered
167 Posts
Back home. The techs, service manager, and the frankly the whole shop was thanking me for the donuts (I brought 2 dozen)....they were a HUGE hit! I ended up with the lead tech who did the work on the bike and personally came out to thank me, as well. I am very pleased with how things turned out.

Also, I had the great privilege to meet RedRockFJRider14 who came by the chat while I was waiting. GREAT conversation and it's always a blessing to meet a local.

For anyone looking for a dealer in the LV or nearby areas for the 2 recalls, I met the tech that seems to be the only one doing them. You'll be in good hands.

Side note: despite the box dimensions on the Krispy Kreme website indicating to the contrary, 2 dozen donuts will NOT fit in an FJR side case. Thankfully, I had my tail bag on and I was able to stick the boxes in there (sticking out the end) for the short ride to the shop.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
is Yamaha replacing this whole switch cluster ? Part# 90891-30143-00

before the recall work on my FJR, my bike would (reverse) default to "Touring" every time you restart, I think now it stays in the last selected "S or T" mode as it should. Will have to check again at the next ride.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,096 Posts
Damir, see posts #84 and 96. Also replied to your post in the second gear thread.

Reactions: Damir

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Had gotten the recall switch work done on Tuesday. Perfect weather for riding and all. All is fine. It is amazing what a dozen donuts will do. I was the star of the week for these guys. As I said, all is well, cables routed correctly, panels put back as well as I can tell. But their smiling faces.....

·
Registered
218 Posts
Got mine done Friday. I've long had intermittent problems with CC due to this switch. 90 minutes waiting and all is fine do far. Meanwhile spotted a Hondapotamus on the showroom floor, along with a few other "interesting" specimens.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Got mine done Friday. I've long had intermittent problems with CC due to this switch. 90 minutes waiting and all is fine do far. Meanwhile spotted a Hondapotamus on the showroom floor, along with a few other "interesting" specimens.
View attachment 77616

One of those for sale on our local Craigslist for like $6900 with 8k miles. Looks like a very comfortable tourer without going "full Goldwing" lol. Probably more comfortable on Interstate slab than an FJR, I think another 80-100 lbs of weight too, but definitely not as sporty. Probably right between and FJR and GW in that respect.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR A Model
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
One of those for sale on our local Craigslist for like $6900 with 8k miles. Looks like a very comfortable tourer without going "full Goldwing" lol. Probably more comfortable on Interstate slab than an FJR, I think another 80-100 lbs of weight too, but definitely not as sporty. Probably right between and FJR and GW in that respect.
Don't be too sure. A buddy rides one and he does quite well with it. It depends more on the rider than the machine.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
They are extremely competent handlers along with very good power & torque,138 ft/lbs if I am remembering correctly. Cornering clearance is their only real shortcoming. They will surprise you !

·
Registered
218 Posts
There seems to be a misunderstanding. This isn't a lighter alternative to a GW. This is the new Goldwing. A couple of years back there was a redesign that trimmed something like 90 lbs. And there's all sorts of stuff on this particular one, like heated seats, 7-speed DCT plus reverse, nav and audio screen, AM/FM/XM + iPhone, Android, helmet interfaces via bluetooth. Still, these new GWs can outweigh the FJR by 160-200 lbs, depending on additional options, like airbags. Frankly, the smallish fuel tank is kind a detract (that and the $30-ish K price tag). In reality long-distance two-up riding is far in my rear view. But others could give this a serious look.

·
Registered
241 Posts
There seems to be a misunderstanding. This isn't a lighter alternative to a GW. This is the new Goldwing. A couple of years back there was a redesign that trimmed something like 90 lbs. And there's all sorts of stuff on this particular one, like heated seats, 7-speed DCT plus reverse, nav and audio screen, AM/FM/XM + iPhone, Android, helmet interfaces via bluetooth. Still, these new GWs can outweigh the FJR by 160-200 lbs, depending on additional options, like airbags. Frankly, the smallish fuel tank is kind a detract (that and the $30-ish K price tag). In reality long-distance two-up riding is far in my rear view. But others could give this a serious look.

Ahhh my bad - I thought it was a CTX1300.

Yes I've seen the leaner, meaner GW's (never in person) and they do look sharp -

So many motorcycles - so little time....

·
Registered
241 Posts
And back on topic, just got back from leaving my '14 at the dealer to have the recall done - I asked and they said the same senior tech is doing all of them (same guy that did wczimmerman's bike a couple weeks ago), so I would imagine he has it down by now - they said he has done "several".

Told them I wasn't in a hurry (I have the FZ1 to ride), and said they could keep it overnight - supposed to be done sometime tomorrow.

·
Registered
167 Posts
And back on topic, just got back from leaving my '14 at the dealer to have the recall done - I asked and they said the same senior tech is doing all of them (same guy that did wczimmerman's bike a couple weeks ago), so I would imagine he has it down by now - they said he has done "several".

Told them I wasn't in a hurry (I have the FZ1 to ride), and said they could keep it overnight - supposed to be done sometime tomorrow.
No donuts?

·
Registered
241 Posts
No donuts?
Had it been a morning drop off, def would have grabbed a box or two.

Dropped my bike off at 3pm though, and didn't think anyone would even notice or care if I brought donuts at that time, when most are just thinking about getting off the clock and going home for the day.

At least that was how I rationalized it....

·
Registered
241 Posts
Picked up my bike at the dealer yesterday, they didn’t finish until end of day - hopefully the tech didn’t rush through so he could start the weekend lol (remember the old wisdom to avoid a car built on a Friday when everyone was already in weekend mode, or a Monday when they were still hungover)
High 60’s and sunny today but 20-25mph winds which makes riding less enjoyable - but got out and washed the bikes and lubed the chain on the FZ1. Might still go for a short ride.

Attachments

101 - 119 of 119 Posts