FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just got back from an 80 mile FJR test ride after the brake light switch was replaced under the recall. Air temp 55 degrees. wind 35mph from the north west. Cruise works, brakes work and all is good.
Chuck is that your garage and bikes in the photo?

Is that a Versys 1000 on the side?

How do you like it? how does it compare to the FJR?

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,096 Posts
Just to confirm basically what is involved... the brake switch has a long harness and the connector is under the plastic covering the nose. Wire is routed from the brake lever, down the handlebar, around the ignition switch and into the nose. A couple of zip ties to replace.

- Remove the black plastic instrument panel covering your instruments, including headlight knobs.
Remove two screws under the rear lip of the IP so the darker nose plastic can come off.
Remove windshield and fasteners for the nose cover plastic and remove.
Remove screws in the metal cover on underside of right handlebar.
Replace switch and route wiring, connect.
Reassemble.
You may get additional info from the pics in the Korean document in post 38

Reactions: Phatdad

·
Registered
250 Posts
Chuck is that your garage and bikes in the photo?

Is that a Versys 1000 on the side?

How do you like it? how does it compare to the FJR?
Yes

Yes 2019 LT SE

They are both very comfortable. The Versys is a bit more upright seating. The Versys is easer to ride in the tighter stuff than the FJR. Also it is about 80lbs lighter. The FJR is just a bit more refine but not that noticeable. Both go fast enough for me.

Note: was ready to trade my FJR in on the Versys but when it came to letting the bike go, I just could not do it so I now have both.:grin2:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Just to confirm basically what is involved... the brake switch has a long harness and the connector is under the plastic covering the nose. Wire is routed from the brake lever, down the handlebar, around the ignition switch and into the nose. A couple of zip ties to replace.

- Remove the black plastic instrument panel covering your instruments, including headlight knobs.
Remove two screws under the rear lip of the IP so the darker nose plastic can come off.
Remove windshield and fasteners for the nose cover plastic and remove.
Remove screws in the metal cover on underside of right handlebar.
Replace switch and route wiring, connect.
Reassemble.
You may get additional info from the pics in the Korean document in post 38
For kicks, took my 2013 brake switch off last night. Spot on at 40 minutes from colored windscreen cover to switch in hand.
Biggest hassle for me was 2 of what I call "slip" type zip ties. Didn't care to just cut those like normal zip ties.
Not that I am expert, but have been in that area about 4 times now. And knowing I ( and most of us ) can navigate our FJR's better than most dealers, will guess at the 0.9 hours shown being paid on the tech sheet, dealers may go over the hour mark a bit.
Whilst there, gonna do some housekeeping and clean dirt & dust a bit. And also lube the windscreen slides while can easily access those.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
So yesterday morning I headed out in 31 degrees, gotta admit I don't recall riding in colder temps. Stories for another day.

They wouldn't let me in the shop but the tech was done in just under 90 minutes.
I had gotten the recall notice the other day and my dealer in Flemington is out of business, I called a dealer 45 miles away in Pennsylvania and made an appointment for 3/3. Brrr it'll be cold. Asked if I could wait for it and they said no problem. There were some dealers closer but did not have a certified Yamaha tech, let alone gold certified. Can't guarantee that that rep will work on it, but the dealer is a multi brand dealer with KTM as one of them. Gonna throw a leg over some of those to see how they feel. Nice service person there, I've never been there. Brent at Scott Powersport, no problem scheduling and to talk to, he said they also have scheduled a transmission recall on another FJR. I don't have much need to ever go to a dealer, so this will be fun. :grin2:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Dealer called yesterday to schedule the appointment, currently set for March 5th. They wanted me to drop off the bike in the morning and pick it up in the late afternoon as they planned to "squeeze" it in between actual appointments. I told them I was riding over 60 miles to them so I had nowhere to go so I would be waiting.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
I had gotten the recall notice the other day and my dealer in Flemington is out of business, I called a dealer 45 miles away in Pennsylvania and made an appointment for 3/3. Brrr it'll be cold. Asked if I could wait for it and they said no problem. There were some dealers closer but did not have a certified Yamaha tech, let alone gold certified. Can't guarantee that that rep will work on it, but the dealer is a multi brand dealer with KTM as one of them. Gonna throw a leg over some of those to see how they feel. Nice service person there, I've never been there. Brent at Scott Powersport, no problem scheduling and to talk to, he said they also have scheduled a transmission recall on another FJR. I don't have much need to ever go to a dealer, so this will be fun. :grin2:
You really don't need a gold certified tech to change the switch out. It's 1 screw, pop off the panels over the battery and dash, disconnect old and connect new.

Give Atlantic City Cycle in Hammonton a call maybe they can hook you up.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I just got my switch notice today.
Now I have to do what I said and see if I can get a switch and install it myself.
Hey Mike, I think there might be a pretty good Yamaha dealer not too far from you in Sublimity. I've been looking around for a decent dealer in OR and Sublimity looks to be not bad. I'm on the central coast. I know about that Beaverton dealer and can't blame you one bit.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I contacted the dealer I used yesterday, and they're ordering the switch for me. He made it a point to warn me that once he used my VIN to order it I couldn't get it ordered elsewhere. That's understandable, but it made me think that's why some dealers want the bike in their possession before ordering. Once they have the switch if the person just never bothers to drop by how long would they be stuck with it in stock?

I'm not agreeing that it's good policy, but maybe that's their mindset.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My bike had it's recall work done a month ago, at a shop close to home.
I bought it out of town, brand new in May '20.
The dealer I got it from still hasn't been in touch.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just got back from an 80 mile FJR test ride after the brake light switch was replaced under the recall. Air temp 55 degrees. wind 35mph from the north west. Cruise works, brakes work and all is good.
Are you using the harbor freight bike lift in your shop? Great looking bikes.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Are you using the harbor freight bike lift in your shop? Great looking bikes.
Yes it is a Harbor freight Lift. Have had it for about 16 years now.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,096 Posts
I don't know how it works there, recall notices here go to the last registered owner, dealer is not likely to call you. If the dealer hasn't called you, call them... they can check your VIN on the database.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
By the way, has anybody read the recall? Evidently Yamaha didn't proof read it. :grin2:

Attachments

Reactions: ReRose and Dan Kim

·
Registered
443 Posts
Love the red side panels on the FJR. I did that also. Never understood the silver panels on any of them really. I powder coated my wheels silver. Can't do black wheels.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Frustration growing for me because as of Saturday ( yesterday ) inquiry on the recall switch ... " we still ain't got it yet... still waiting".
Friday was 3rd week since it was supposedly ordered. Gonna burn a solid and make a call to some folks I know in Kennesaw GA and shake a tree.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Frustration growing for me because as of Saturday ( yesterday ) inquiry on the recall switch ... " we still ain't got it yet... still waiting".
Friday was 3rd week since it was supposedly ordered. Gonna burn a solid and make a call to some folks I know in Kennesaw GA and shake a tree.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one, LOL.

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks exactly from the day I called the dealership that originally sold my bike, and they said they would order the part and call me when in.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Talked to my local dealer today (Tri City Cycle in Waterloo) and Randy asked me to send him my VIN # so he can request the part from Yamaha. He said with Covid, getting parts are more of a challenge.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts