FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I just got my switch notice today.
Now I have to do what I said and see if I can get a switch and install it myself.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I bought my bike from a non-Yamaha dealer, so Mama Yama doesn't know anything about me. I called the company and was told to just contact a dealer and they would set up an appointment. When I went by the dealership, I was advised that this was a safety recall and when I brought my bike in, they would determine what part was needed and then keep it until the repair was complete. So, I'll just deal with someone else, or just forget the recall. If my bike requires service from a dealer, they can fix it then. If there's any way to inconvenience the customer more and make Yamaha ownership less pleasant, I guess they just haven't thought of it yet.

·
Registered
'15 FJR1300A
206 Posts
I just got my notice yesterday. Having just moved to TN from TX, I will have to search out a reputable dealer in my area which means probably within 75 miles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can someone confirm the part number of the replacement switch?

For time and convenience, I'd rather replace it myself.

Thanks!

Fred

·
Registered
187 Posts
Can someone confirm the part number of the replacement switch?

For time and convenience, I'd rather replace it myself.

Thanks!

Fred
Not sure if this work has to be performed by a dealer service or not for liability reasons, but I'd guess maybe so. Otherwise, I feel the same. I prefer to do all of the easy stuff myself.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Glad to hear that Yama has acknowledged there is, in fact, an issue with this switch and are replacing them free of charge.

My front switch took a dump last season with the exact conditions as described. Brake light constant on and cruise will not activate. I choose to find a low-mile used replacement from eBay and can also confirm that the windshield, dash trim and the upper cowl are the only things that need to be removed to replace the brake switch. The harness connector is indeed buried deep within the front end plastics.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,096 Posts
You'll have to ask the dealer or Yamaha of the replacement part number, which I assume from their "problem description" was contacts that corrode. The recall may be a kit with a different part number......
Sparky, you'd be wise to get the recall done and have the latest and greatest fer free, although there are those out there who haven't had much of a problem.

Reactions: passx

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I was just told by a local dealer Yamaha is requiring the bike be in their possession before they order the switch kit. And that it might take a week or 10 days.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Just had another dealer order the switch over the phone with just my vin. They will call me when the switch is in. 3 to 5 days.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just had another dealer order the switch over the phone with just my vin. They will call me when the switch is in. 3 to 5 days.
Yeah, my Yamaha dealer called me, confirmed that I still have the FJR and ordered the part(s) with a promise to call and schedule the appointment when they arrive. I think there will be some variance in how dealers handle this as we've seen already in this thread.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
I've got an 0900 appointment tomorrow to get mine done. Gonna be a chilly ride in, my trailer is buried in snow and mud in the back yard. Service guy said I'll be out of there by 1030. Hopefully he'll let me take some pics of the swap out.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,096 Posts
I think some dealers are dumbly thinking you may not show up for your appointment... I don't get it.......

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sparky, you'd be wise to get the recall done and have the latest and greatest fer free, although there are those out there who haven't had much of a problem.
Absolutely Ray, that is my intention with this info that there is a definitive recall.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
I think some dealers are dumbly thinking you may not show up for your appointment... I don't get it.......
I called today to ensure they have the part on premises. I'm going to try and develop a good relationship with this dealership. They did work on my FZ1 years ago and it was a good experience. Unlike the last Honda deal I dealt with.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My dealer in PA will replace for free I asked if Yamaha would transport since they said in recall notice not to operate. They said yes I will check with Yamaha. If not the case I’ll ride the 32 miles with out cruise or using front brake. I have not had problems with my 2013

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
So yesterday morning I headed out in 31 degrees, gotta admit I don't recall riding in colder temps. Stories for another day.

They wouldn't let me in the shop but the tech was done in just under 90 minutes.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just got back from an 80 mile FJR test ride after the brake light switch was replaced under the recall. Air temp 55 degrees. wind 35mph from the north west. Cruise works, brakes work and all is good.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
This was my experience. But they didn't give me a time frame.

The guy I bought the bike from texted me a photo of the recall letter this weekend. Called the dealership that sold the bike originally and called this morning.

61 - 80 of 119 Posts