Fjrowners.com banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
The Yami dealer by me said they couldn't just give me the switch and let me install it ha to be done by them. Whatever.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
What document is that, Ferret?
Recall list from Yamaha for the brake light switch. I took a pic of it when I was up there the other day to see if my son's MT-10 that he bought used was on the list.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Crap! Mine shows up on the Yamaha site. Now I have to find the nearest dealer.

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
My FJR is also on the list.

The interesting thing about the list is that MamaYama manufactured about 3000 FJRs for the non-California US market and I suspect less than 400 for the US California market in 2013.

I am not surprised that Yamaha will not give us the switch and let us install it. There are safety and liability issues involved. So now I need to check if I can get an appointment to do the recall or if I need to drop the bike off and wait. Then, if I need to drop the bike off, do I do that or bite the bullet and just buy the switch.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Recall list from Yamaha for the brake light switch. I took a pic of it when I was up there the other day to see if my son's MT-10 that he bought used was on the list.
Ferret is like the professor behind the curtain! :surprise: LOL Thank you ferret for showing the Yami documents on these recalls. In the old days you would have had to use a small minolta spy camera for documents like that.

Now, a serious question, do you bring the pizza to the service guys when you drop off the bike, or pick it up? I ask seriously, because that kind of kindness goes a long way.

Although, I never bring my bike in, so, the pizza's for ME!!! HaHa

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Here is the instruction for replacing the Brake Light Switch, it's in Korean with photo diagram.
Thank you Dan for posting those instructions Unfortunately, the attached file has pages toward the end blank. The debate here is whether the front wheel needs to come off. Still.......a mystery. ;)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Ferret is like the professor behind the curtain! :surprise: LOL Thank you ferret for showing the Yami documents on these recalls. In the old days you would have had to use a small minolta spy camera for documents like that.

Now, a serious question, do you bring the pizza to the service guys when you drop off the bike, or pick it up? I ask seriously, because that kind of kindness goes a long way.

Although, I never bring my bike in, so, the pizza's for ME!!! HaHa
Lol, a couple of days after I pick the bike up after repair .

I get along well with all the guys at the shop. Known them all for years. Half of them over 30 years. Used to race motocross with a couple of them in the 70s. Have bought 9 Hondas and Yamahas off of them over the years and worked for the shop in 72 and 73, as did my younger brother who was a mechanic there for 7 years, and my older sister who was a secretary.. I used to take the current owner home after work on my RD 350 in 73. He was a 14 year old lot boy then, washing bikes etc. He grew up and bought the business and has owned it for forty years now. Only place he has ever worked. We have remained friends for nearly half a century. I stop in at least once a week while out riding, just to visit.

It never hurts to be kind and generous with the people who are doing work for you (and not just motorcycle mechanics). I'm no mechanic and rely on them to keep my bike running in tip top shape. If the head mech sees something on any of my bikes that needs addressing, he has my permission to take care of it no questions asked. I trust him implicitly.

I wish I was mechanically apt, but my brother got those genes. My genes lean toward the creative and artistic.

·
Premium Member
7,741 Posts
Thank you Dan for posting those instructions Unfortunately, the attached file has pages toward the end blank. The debate here is whether the front wheel needs to come off. Still.......a mystery. ;)
No mystery.... I'm sure the tech will use all the 0.9 hrs. to take the windshield and dash plastic off to get at the brake light switch connector.... and get it all back together... dunno if I could do it in that time.

Nothing on the wheel, except an ABS sensor, accessed without taking the wheel off, so no wheels coming off. No mention of ABS sensors either. Mystery over.

@JohnC, if you replace the switch yourself, that will not clear the recall...... dealer has to do that.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Oh my that is a bit of a job. Parts diagram does not show the harness as part of the switch... so it appears there is no connector at the switch, it is connected in the nose of the bike. Now easy to see how it is an hour job.
You have to take the windshield and the front cowl off to get to where the harness connects

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I got my recall notice today and it specifically says front brake switch ! Now I just went and looked at my 2014a and the front brake switch has a wired in harness that runs down the handlebar and fork and disappears down somewhere below.

So looking closely at it I’d say that they may remove the front wheel and probably the fender as well to maybe just gain access to the connector. In the recall notice they ONLY refer to the front brake switch. If I get a chance and we don’t get the 5-9” of snow they are predicting I may go up to the shop & retrieve my shop manual to see exactly how they recommend changing the front brake switch.

·
Premium Member
7,741 Posts
Connector is in the nose of the bike, no wheel removal required.... I think there may be confusion with the tranny recall where they have to remove the front fender... this is required so the engine has room to be removed.... had to do this on my project bike.

Reactions: sparky300 and passx

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Yep Ray, I went back and looked through Dan’s pictures and now I’m pretty sure it’s one of the connectors located behind the black beak under the windshield. Having had all that apart before I’m pretty sure my old slow butt could do that in probably a couple of hours easy. My bike may be the fastest color red but I wish that would apply to me, maybe need to get my spray gun out !

I think I’ll talk to my dealer next week since I’ll be in the neighborhood to see if maybe they’ll just give me the switch & let me change it out, probably not but I’ll ask. Worst they can say is no.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
My recall letter for the front brake light switch came in the mailbox today. Still dont have one on the trans. Parts for both are already on order.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice Directions.

To Heck with USA Dealerships. I'm shipping my bike to South Korea for the White Glove treatment.
Looks like that technician just got out of a wedding.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yamaha states the front brake switch may fail due to increased internal resistance caused by silicon oxide. Affecting the cruise control and the brake light may stay on.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Does anyone know if there is more than one model/number/style of brake switch that could be on a 2013A FJR? There is not a Yamama dealer within walking distance of me and I would like to schedule an appointment and have the part waiting.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Does anyone know if there is more than one model/number/style of brake switch that could be on a 2013A FJR? There is not a Yamama dealer within walking distance of me and I would like to schedule an appointment and have the part waiting.
They should know from the recall what replacement part is required, shouldn't they? I should have my notice in the mail today and plan to call the shop to tell me when it's in.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts