Fjrowners.com banner

21 - 40 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Mr Ed, it's on the "Front M/C" diagram and for my 2014 lists for $92. Which is less than the $130+ That it used to be when mine went bad and was replaced under the "YES" program several years ago.
Ah. That should have been logical to me. I'd looked on the handlebars, electrics, etc. It's $82.97 at Rocky Mountain. It's almost not work driving 170 miles round trip twice to save that. :laugh:

I note the part number has changed. I suppose that's the new and improved switch.

Thank you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My bike is in the shop right now getting new transmission parts, and the brake switch issue fixed.
Talking to the techs / mgr, I asked:
Me: are you getting the job(s) done within the 14hrs?
Him: no, but we're getting closer. (mine is the 4th they've done)
Me: (assuming like y'all about 5 minutes to swap handlebar switch) I guess you make up a bit because 0.9hr for that?
Him: (laughing) oh no, it's not that switch, the front wheel has to come off to r&r the part.

It isn't the handlebar switch (on the recall) guys!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I went to the nearest dealer today about the switch. They had no knowledge, but did find it on the computer. Of Course, no parts. Have to bring the bike in and leave it. It is a safety recall, so once you bring it in, they basically "seize" it until it is fixed. The guy said I had to bring my bike in so they could tell which switch they needed. Indicated that all model/years may not be exactly the same; or may have been some BS...

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR A Model
7,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sounds like BS to me. Doesn't the recall paperwork specify which switch goes on which model years?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Got the phone call yesterday that my 2015 is included in the brake switch recall. The dealer is ordering up the part(s) and will call back to schedule the appointment. They are saying about 1 hour to finish.

Anyone have an idea of what the bulletin from Yamaha may claim needs to be done? Will they be removing bodywork or is this really a 20 min job like Ray said?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Got the phone call yesterday that my 2015 is included in the brake switch recall. The dealer is ordering up the part(s) and will call back to schedule the appointment. They are saying about 1 hour to finish.

Anyone have an idea of what the bulletin from Yamaha may claim needs to be done? Will they be removing bodywork or is this really a 20 min job like Ray said?
The dealer gets paid 0.9hr for the work.
The front wheel has to come off. No bodywork.
It's not the handlebar switch.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Interesting. So, the recall is replacing something at the wheel...
I'm puzzling over what kind of switch is at the wheel, other than the ABS. Could this be something to do with the ES models?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Can't be limited to the ES models as mine is an A model
OK. Then I'm really puzzled. What on the front wheel would affect the brake lights? :serious:

I was hoping mine would get that recall and it would fix my occasional cruise control problem.

·
Premium Member
7,772 Posts
I believe it is the front brake light switch, that will affect cruise. Reposting the recall notice we got here.
No plastic has to come off, but dealer may have to take the brake lever off to properly access it, I have not seen the instructions.... not sure why 0.9 hrs but may involve a road test?
https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/detail.aspx?lang=eng&mk=4783!37042!36021!37815!2032&mkName=YAMAHA&md=FJR1300&fy=0&ty=9999&ft=&ls=0&sy=0&syName=All%20Systems&all=0&rn=2020572&cf=SearchResult&pg=0

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
The dealer gets paid 0.9hr for the work.
The front wheel has to come off. No bodywork.
It's not the handlebar switch.
I believe it is the front brake light switch, that will affect cruise. Reposting the recall notice we got here.
No plastic has to come off, but dealer may have to take the brake lever off to properly access it, I have not seen the instructions.... not sure why 0.9 hrs but may involve a road test?
https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/detail.aspx?lang=eng&mk=4783!37042!36021!37815!2032&mkName=YAMAHA&md=FJR1300&fy=0&ty=9999&ft=&ls=0&sy=0&syName=All%20Systems&all=0&rn=2020572&cf=SearchResult&pg=0
That's what I thought, but Recalled said the front wheel has to come off. I just checked the link, and mine is included. I just haven't seen paperwork. I'll call my dealer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My bike was the 4th one my servicing dealer did.
I asked if they were getting the trans fixed in the alloted 14hrs.
He said no, but getting closer.
I said, "you must make up a bit, since you're getting 0.9hr for a 5 minute job swapping the brake switch", (me assuming it was the one we're all assuming).
He said "no, it's almost 2hrs, taking the front wheel off and......"
I didn't see the part, or get any further information.

And it's supposed to clear up any cruise control issues. (mine seemed fine 10,000 kms in).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Strange. No cruise issues or brake light issues in 33K miles on mine either.

When the dealer calls, I'll see if I can get more information. Too many conflicting reports on this...

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
It's interesting. Last week, my '14 was on the US's NHSTA VIN look up for the brake switch recall. This week my VIN shows no recalls!? But if one searches by bike, the 2014 FJR1300 is described as needing the brake switch. The serial number range is there but says non-sequential. Also says that units effected are 50%. I checked the Yamaha-Dealers VIN lookup and my VIN is listed for the recall. I called my dealer in central NJ, Flemington Yamaha, the person that answered said they went out of business last month, and is trying to re-open under new management.

Heck, this is as confusing as getting the vaccine!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Here is the list of bikes recalled for the FR brake switch

if you are not sure about how to read the chart take your vin number drop the first couple of digits

Mine is JYARP29E4-JA000510

on the chart it would be included in the group 2016-2019 FJR-1300A RP29E 0000002-0000822

·
Registered
159 Posts
Here is the list of bikes recalled for the FR brake switch

if you are not sure about how to read the chart take your vin number drop the first couple of digits

Mine is JYARP29E4-JA000510

on the chart it would be included in the group 2016-2019 FJR-1300A RP29E 0000002-0000822
What document is that, Ferret?

·
Registered
324 Posts
This is strange, I replace the front brake switch last year and I have changed tires quite a few times. I don't know what it could be either at the front wheel.

·
Premium Member
7,772 Posts
Oh my that is a bit of a job. Parts diagram does not show the harness as part of the switch... so it appears there is no connector at the switch, it is connected in the nose of the bike. Now easy to see how it is an hour job.

21 - 40 of 99 Posts