·
Premium Member
2007 FJR A Model
7,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
7,772 Posts
Heck yes, glad to see it is being addressed.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I am not taking my bike to either of the two Yamaha dealers near me.

I wont even buy tires from them if they were cheaper that anyone else.

I will get one and replace it myself.

·
Premium Member
7,772 Posts
Before you make that call, do you see what that switch costs?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good excuse for a road trip if you don't trust you local dealer if you can find someone who has it in stock or will order in advance.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Nope. No idea what the switch costs. How much is it?

My first attempt will be to nurse my switch that is not currently having problems.

My second attempt will be to get a switch for free from the dealer under warranty.

My third attempt will be to just buy the switch myself.

After that I will make a decision.

·
Premium Member
7,772 Posts
List price is U$130.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
List price is U$130.
Meh!

I'm not a rich man by any means but $130 if I have to pay it wont kill me.

The real story here is how much I would pay to keep from taking my bike into either of the two Yammi dealers near me.

Both are owned by a vary large car dealership companies. Both operate like large car dealerships. With parts counter staff that know nothing about bikes. Service writers who know nothing and whos sole job is to keep the customer separated from the tech who will be working on the bike. The showrooms are all glitz and glam with no substance. Their sales technique is straight out of 1990s car dealer hand book.

Their after sales/service service is non existent.

Get this. One. Beaverton Honda tried to add service and handling fees to a USED bike after they wanted full advertised price.

So 2015 FJ09 listed for sale for $7599. they wanted full listing price PLUS 550 for service. (oil change, new chain/sprockets and sales inspection) and 150 for handling.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think part of the problem with finding dependable motorcycle mechanics & dealers today is that besides Yamahas they sell so many different brands & different equipt from motorbikes to quads etc and whatever in between ,the mechanics can never really get to know one brand and are always working on different models ,Blackfoot Motorsports one of the largest bike dealers in Calgary sell ,Yamaha ,BMW, Kawasaki ,Suzuki ,Ducati ,Triumph ,KTM & in this city it's getting harder to find a dealer as many have closed their shop.

·
Premium Member
7,772 Posts
mobilemike, given your dealership situation, sure go ahead, but changing that switch is a 10 minute job at most and involves (I think) one screw. I'd let them do it if convenient, but if you have to take time off, go there, wait a bit, come back..... pay yourself $20/hr for your time..... maybe $130 isn't so much after all. I'm with ya, I get it.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
mobilemike, given your dealership situation, sure go ahead, but changing that switch is a 10 minute job at most and involves (I think) one screw. I'd let them do it if convenient, but if you have to take time off, go there, wait a bit, come back..... pay yourself $20/hr for your time..... maybe $130 isn't so much after all. I'm with ya, I get it.
My labor rate I charge my customers is $110/hr

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
See, I get all this. Once upon a time, I had a bike, purchased new, and was still under warranty. Said bike developed a progressively worsening problem that left it bucking like a bronco.

It took months to get them to acknowledge the severity of the problem, and then months more waiting on parts.

Somewhere in the middle of all that, it became clear that the likely culprit was the throttle position sensor. But I wasn't about to pay for one when I had a warranty. So I waited until
Yamaha replaced the whole throttle body assembly. Lost a lot of riding time. A lot of use of the bike. If I had tried the tps fix out of pocket, I might have saved myself a lot of time and headache. But I stuck to principle, and made Yamaha fix it.

A year later, when the bike developed a standing overheat problem, I didn't hesitate to pay for a thermostat out of pocket and pay to have a shop replace it, rather than going through the warranty process.

Fixed the problem. And I was out less than $100. And I lost no riding time.

I'm on another fjr now. And I still have Y.E.S. I have it for big stuff. Anything small, I'll try to handle myself or with my Indy shop. Big stuff, warranty all the way.
Nope. No idea what the switch costs. How much is it?

My first attempt will be to nurse my switch that is not currently having problems.

My second attempt will be to get a switch for free from the dealer under warranty.

My third attempt will be to just buy the switch myself.

After that I will make a decision.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
It’s all a slippery slope ! I understand not wanting to let the dealer touch your bike as most are staffed with kids with no experience making minimum wage. Add-I that most of us are pretty anal about our bikes, I’m one of those and really don’t trust anyone to do what I want the way I want it done.

Almost all dealerships these days will not allow you (the customer) In the service area or any mingling with the service techs, all under the guise of insurance restraints. But I believe it’s all about keeping you away from your vehicle so you can’t see or question WTF they are doing to your vehicle.

My personal experience has resulted in a couple of confrontations with the service manager, on my 14a when they replaced the head bearings on my 14a it was a very tense moment when I got it back (still under warranty) and was presented with a $600 bill because tapered bearings weren’t covered but I wasn’t told that until after the work was done, add-in the multiple deep scratch’s down to the metal on my gas tank top and in my new touring windshield, to say I was livid would be a giant understatement ! The only thing that kept it from escalating was the service manager came out and nonchalantly said they’d fix it, another 2 weeks w/o my bike ! But they did fix it 100% although a later query about why they still had my bike from the dealership general manager ended up costing the service manager & tech their jobs.

Years ago when my wife & I bought our first new car (a 1976 Granada sport coupe) and we were having brake problems and on about the 10th time back (they never worked on it) when I got the car home I realized that they had wrecked it (caved in the passenger door) and when I went back and confronted the service manager he called me a liar which resulted in a giant melee and ultimately lots of cops & me and my brother in cuffs. The only thing that saved us is that I had chalked all the fasteners required to work on the brakes (to prove they weren’t working on it) so when the dealership owner showed up to see what all the fuss was and I explained to him my side along with my suspicion that past wrecking my car nothing had been done, he had a tech put up on a rack and inspected the untouched chalked fasteners. He fired all involved on the spot and thankfully wouldn’t press charges against me and my brother.

So anyway I don’t like dealers ! They all lie and try to cheat you any way they can! Many dealers and many bad stories over my life !

·
Premium Member
7,772 Posts
The harder problems are diagnosing electrical/electronic things, like the complexities of fuel injection systems. Mechanical things are relatively easily, it either works or it doesn't and parts are easy to replace.
No flunkie is going to be given the job of replacing the transmission cassettes. While a lot of hours involved getting the prep done and lower case split, replacing the transmission is fairly easy and doesn't take that long. By all means ask questions and express your concern that you don't want a rookie on the job.....

The brake switch thing is quite simple, I think one screw holds it in, unplug connector, replug into the new one, re-install screw. Test. Done.

Reactions: passx

·
Registered
605 Posts
My friend purchased a used GXSR750 which had a few issues. He was going to take it to a dealer and have them look at it. I talked him into getting a OBD reader and we could do it ourself's. He happens to know the tech who admitted that was probably a good idea because they have not had to do a lot of work on those bikes and they would have to learn as they go on his dime. There are some good mechanics out there but I know I'm probably better than most. I will probably have them replace that switch on my 2013 but that about all.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I replaced the front brake light switch on my 2013 last year when it quit working. I didn't know of a recall and just bought the part and replaced it. Not a hard job to do, but why the **** hid the connection under the front cowling LOL

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I replaced the front brake light switch on my 2013 last year when it quit working. I didn't know of a recall and just bought the part and replaced it. Not a hard job to do, but why the **** hid the connection under the front cowling LOL
To get people to take it to the dealer where they can charge an hour's labor? :laugh:

I don't think we've got the recall yet. I've been putting off changing mine because of the price. If they do issue a recall I'd be hesitant to take it to the closest dealer. If I take it to the dealer I bought it front they're 85 miles away. If they'd do it while I wait I could I'd ride it over, but I'm not excited about leaving it just because of the logistics of having my wife drive that round trip -- twice. :serious:

BTW, I'm not finding that switch on the diagrams. Can someone tell me where they hid it? :laugh:

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Mr Ed, it’s on the “Front M/C” diagram and for my 2014 lists for $92. Which is less than the $130+ That it used to be when mine went bad and was replaced under the “YES” program several years ago.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts