FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Chuck,

Does the handlebar stuff contact or obscure the GPS? You can get longer ram-ball "connector clamps" which would put the GPS up higher, and even much higher, if needed. Amazon has various lengths. If the longer connector clamps need a better grip, RTV or valve grinding compound can improve the grip of the connector clamp on the ram-ball.
No, nothing touches or obscures it there - I am looking down at it (for me - shorter people might need it higher). It is the same place I have the GPS on my FZ1. I have plenty of longer ram connectors - that is the height I prefer it at, next to the gauges, but low enough where it is not in my eyeline unless I want to see it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I think the smarter way to do this would have been to get a stud mount ball. That way you could just drill a hole through the fairing where the support bar is. Tap that and then just remove/install the ball when you need to remove the panel.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
A little self adhesive rubber covers the sins well enough..

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
One of the last pieces showed up today - a shortie windshield from the UK.
Yamaha Fjr 1300 2006 -2012 Sports Screen,Made In Uk | eBay
I still need to fiddle with it some since the trim piece is not sliding down far enough to get the screws in. Might need to do a little massaging on their cutouts. Aside from that it looks good, will be interesting to see if it puts the airflow where I want it. Now I am just waiting on the luggage guards

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Figured it out after looking at the stock windshield. The cutouts for the trip piece are ramped on the back side so that the arms can slide down and tighten as they go. This windshield just had the keyholes cut but no ramping cut in. Couple of seconds carefully running a rotary rasp on all 4 holes and it slides down the way it should.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Saw these on @rbentnail new bike and I thought they looked like a good idea. Pretty impressive and not ugly. Next minor task is to adjust the GPS mount - it was perfect before the bar risers and now it needs to be higher ;)

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
527 Posts
What Sentry said!!

I gotta get me suma dees!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
527 Posts
In my cart!! Thanks, Chuck!!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Added a SAE port to plug in the battery charger and my little air compressor.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Went out and put about 150 on the darkside tire to make sure it was ok. Only thing that got me was the first turn out of the neighborhood, when I turned into the oncoming lane. Oh, yeah. Have to be a little more aggressive with low speed turns. Other than that, it was fine, although I noticed the CT more on the FJR than I did on the DL1000.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Chuck, love the pictures ! That 07 maroon (?) is just stunning, I will never understand why Yamaha hasn’t put it on more years ! Really got my motor running when that came out in 07, and it is red (sorta) so it’s gotta be one of the very fastest !

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,350 Posts
Went out and put about 150 on the darkside tire to make sure it was ok. Only thing that got me was the first turn out of the neighborhood, when I turned into the oncoming lane. Oh, yeah. Have to be a little more aggressive with low speed turns. Other than that, it was fine, although I noticed the CT more on the FJR than I did on the DL1000.
What air pressure are you running? And I don't think you specifically said what car tire brand and size you are using. Trust me- as a 3-different-car tire user, I found that bike response is directly linked to the pressure in the tire. No doubt about it. And, as a whole, we Darksiders have found that, with few exceptions, we're all pretty consistent across the board with each particular brand.

The tire pictured looks awfully familiar- I'm guessing that's a Rikken Raptor. With it I preferred right at 33-34 psi cold. It seemed to have a softer sidewall than previous brands I tried and would feel a bit "squishy" in the turns and very sluggish at slower speeds. Sounds like you found that too! But you're no novice, you know all this.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Riken raptor at 31. The same tire on my dl1000 I ran at 26.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,350 Posts
Coming from a different brand I liked at 31-32, I thought the Raptor was too squishy as I mentioned. I went to 33-34 and loved it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I'll give that a Shot

41 - 60 of 98 Posts