FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up a 2007 next Saturday. Not many miles on it, but I'll plan on all fluids, check codes on tires and I have a new battery for it. Have a givi kit on order for a top box. Will also plan on crash bars.
Anything else in particular to go through on a 2007?

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,379 Posts
Ground spider recall. Altitude ECU recall. Ignition switch recall. Cam Chain Tensioner (CCT) replacement. Cycle ABS in conjunction with fluid replacement -> ABS System Test FJR1300 A.pdf. Lubes. Drive shaft and universal joint spline lube. Relay arm. Etc.

Go through this thread for years of collected tasks, helpful hints, etc. -> What Did You Do To Your FJR Today?

Look through these sites for tips & "how to's" -> Yamaha FJR1300 "How To" Page, Mark Johnson's FJR Site (C) 1995-Present

And when all else fails RTFM. There's a maintenance schedule in the MOM. If you don't have a MOM, one can be downloaded free here -> Yamaha Owner's Manuals or here -> 2007 FJR Owners Manual.pdf.

Helpful pics for plastics removal -> Gen 2 Plastics Removal.pdf

FSM -> FRJ1300 AV '06 service.pdf

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,457 Posts
Russ's info is thorough and will help you a lot, and IMHO any bike that age needs to be gone over and you'll be good.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Got it home today. Washed off the top couple layers of dirt and bugs, still needs a little more cleaning. Removed the factory rack an
d
installed the givi. Pulled off some highway pegs that were blocking the oil filter and sight glass. Still need to get some shorter factory length bolts to replace the ones holding the brackets. Tommorow will pull out a couple of electrical do-dads, change the oil, flush the brakes and get some fuel system cleaner and fresh gas in it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oil changed, air filter, diff oil all done. Replaced all the missing fasteners and ripped out the remnants of a signal canceller a headlight modulator and an accessory power port The fuel in it smells terrible, can't believe it runs. Will try to empty most of it out before refill ing. Now I need to find the latch plate for one of the panniers and the 2 screws. Have a cylinder but that is it.
The pile is getting bigger

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ordered a set of pirelli angel gts. Date codes on the mc tires were 2011 and the darkside was 2010. I already have a spare Riken raptor for the darkside swap. So, maybe by end of this week it'll be ready to go.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went to Yamaha site and it looks like the recalls were all done with the exception of the ground spider update. So we'll add that to the list of things to check.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Huh. It says yours had the trunk base kit done. Mine doesn't. I tried looking up that document and couldn't find it. Sounded like they installed a reinforcement plate? I would like to find out what that is. Doubt they still have the parts to do the mod. Can I still try to get the recall done?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Huh. It says yours had the trunk base kit done. Mine doesn't. I tried looking up that document and couldn't find it. Sounded like they installed a reinforcement plate? I would like to find out what that is. Doubt they still have the parts to do the mod. Can I still try to get the recall done?
Apparently it is this:
OEM Yamaha 5VS-PLATE-KT-00 Reinforcement Plate NOS | eBay

Although I don't see that extra plate in the stuff I removed from the bike.
This was bolted directly to the painted rack on the bike.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wtf would that reinforce. I don't see how that would prevent the subframe from being damaged.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wtf would that reinforce. I don't see how that would prevent the subframe from being damaged.
Looks like it is designed to keep the rack from flexing

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's been awhile but my memory is telling me that the trunk base kit/recall was for the OEM top box and not the rack. In the Ebay link that metal plate on the left was mounted under and onto the top box to prevent cracking. Don't think it had anything to do with the subframe. My guess is a previous owner bought and installed the topbox from Yamaha, had the recall done and then separated the box from the bike at some point, leaving its black mounting plate behind. But I've been wrong before.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You're right. It's to keep the rack stiff so the top box doesn't bounce and crack around the mount on the bottom of it. I may just buy one and be done with it because I like using my top box. Still need to get a stiffy.

·
Registered
148 Posts
When I bought my '06 the stock top box had an aluminum plate that was attached to the bottom of the stock box with some double sided tape. The only thing that it "prevented" was allowing the top box to properly catch on locking mechanism. I've since ditched it and gone with the 357 and Givi top box.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,457 Posts
The recall was the addition of a plate to the bottom of the top box not the rack, to prevent cracking of the top box base... some had the front of the plastic rack crack/break, I believe ribs were added to the top side of the rack (as pictured in the link), nothing to do with the bottom of the rack. PO had it done before I bought my '07. My top case cracked in spite of this, the rack was fine. I attributed some of it to the sloppy play up and down when latched.
Chuck I see the "Wire Sub Lead" was done, which I believe is the S4 spider fix. The "Wire Harness" fix was only done in addition if you had spiders that fried. Basically, you'll see a heavier wire connected at S4 and an additional ground wire taken to the main engine ground (lower front engine case, right side).

Reactions: Oldjeep

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Perfect, thanks for explaining the stub vs harness thing. Bike didn't come with a top box, but maybe there was one in the past.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Todays addition. Showed up straight from the Russian Federation. The directions left a little to be desired, but good enough.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tonight got the rear off and removed the car tire the easy way - 3 pieces. The rear caliper is half stripped from no antiseize on the threads, hopefully the fronts are better when I get to that. Was going to mount the new CT, but realized that I ran out of valve stems, so tomorrow is another day.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts