FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I did a little digging trying to find the location of my voltage regulator on my 2007 fjr 1300 to no avail.I had a service manual(disc) i purchased some time back but i am reluctant on finding it now that i need it.

Here's where i am and maybe someone has a idea or had this happen to their bike.
2months ago i was riding my bike and when i shut it off i had nothing, I put battery on charge(not knowing how old battery was...bought it in 2019)and it wouldn't take a charge after 4/5 hours so i purchased a battery that was supposed to be a direct fit(wasn't)and I eventually found the proper battery installed and checked it...was 12.8 and when running was putting out what i believe to be a good number 13.8 and would go up to 14.10 on my meter so I ASSUMed it to be good to go ,fast forward 2 months and and 2600 miles to this morning and battery was dead.....i plug in my trickle charger for 8.5 hours so battery was back to where it should be and started it up and same numbers.....i think i read somewhere where someone was having issues with the wires going to regulator breaking or burnt and it destroyed the regulator...?

any and all help would be much appreciated

Dan

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
818 Posts
Hi Dan,

The regulator is directly under the ECU, which is directly under your butt!

There are two plugs going to it. They are a stout bit of kit, so I doubt it is the problem. A visual inspection may yield different results! But if, when running, you are getting 13.8VDC, then I am going to say the regulator is good.

Yeah, the wires may get a little warm, but cleaning the plugs and smearing them with your favorite dielectric paste will help that some.

I hate to say it, but it could be a new and then bad battery... Just because it can test to 12.5VDC, doesn't mean it is "amped!"

Take it to a testing station where they can test it under load and see how it performs.

These bikes are really bitchy about not having a strong battery All The Time!

Let us know what you find!

Reactions: Neverhappy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Dan,

There are two plugs going to it. They are a stout bit of kit, so I doubt it is the problem. A visual inspection may yield different results! But if, when running, you are getting 13.8VDC, then I am going to say the regulator is good.

Yeah, the wires may get a little warm, but cleaning the plugs and smearing them with your favorite dielectric paste will help that some.

I hate to say it, but it could be a new and then bad battery... Just because it can test to 12.5VDC, doesn't mean it is "amped!"

Take it to a testing station where they can test it under load and see how it performs.

Thank You I will look in that area when I Get Home . I'll let you know what i find and the outcome.
Have a great Day:)

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
818 Posts
"Dirty Jersey..." What exit? LOL

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
My thoughts, since this is a 2007 you might want to be looking at ground Spider issue , you’ll have to dig a bit.
I’m no expert on this but several here are (Russ) with a lot of experience on this. Skips advice on removing the battery and taking it to have it “load” tested is good advice, ya gotta start with a good battery , and after that it’s probably either a bad regulator, or a bad ground spider. My .02

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,165 Posts
We don't hear of regulator or stator failures much, if at all on FJR's.... it's a good mofset regulator. The two-pin plug is power and ground to the RR, the three-way is the 3 stator wires.
Sounds like charging system is working, albeit check for good connections. Should be ~14V when running say 2500 rpm or higher. If battery is not fully charged, initially may be lower.
Do you keep your battery on a tender while in storage? Might want to do that. Try not to let the resting voltage drop below 12.5V.... that's 50% charged per Yuasa.

I agree time to check the ground spiders, likely long overdue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My thoughts, since this is a 2007 you might want to be looking at ground Spider issue , you’ll have to dig a bit.
I’m no expert on this but several here are (Russ) with a lot of experience on this. Skips advice on removing the battery and taking it to have it “load” tested is good advice, ya gotta start with a good battery , and after that it’s probably either a bad regulator, or a bad ground spider. My .02
Agree with your suggestion to go for ground spiders

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We don't hear of regulator or stator failures much, if at all on FJR's.... it's a good mofset regulator. The two-pin plug is power and ground to the RR, the three-way is the 3 stator wires.
Sounds like charging system is working, albeit check for good connections. Should be ~14V when running say 2500 rpm or higher. If battery is not fully charged, initially may be lower.
Do you keep your battery on a tender while in storage? Might want to do that. Try not to let the resting voltage drop below 12.5V.... that's 50% charged per Yuasa.

I agree time to check the ground spiders, likely long overdue.
Thanks, i just found the threads on this Ground spider issue.....i do have a battery tender for it but i ride it everyday to work so i often park it and forget it.i pulled battery and im taking to work tomorrow to check battery(load test) i pulled both plugs off regulator today and they looked okay(albeit i didn't cut into tape)put dielectric grease on plugs .i didn't do my research before buying this Yamaha and thought(you know what thought did?)id have many care free miles on a metric bike......ive been riding Harleys since 1989 and still have 4 of them...2 shovels and 2 evo's nothing newer then a 1984 so ive had many of issues and road story's throughout the years......anyways the AdHD is got me going in another direction....ill dig and keep at it to i eventually get it.....bike is fun commuter bike that i think i enjoy riding

Thanks All who Answered and i live in the dirty south Jerzee no exit.....but soon the be moving to the eastern panhandle of WV

Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Dan,

Took the battery to work today and load tested it and on the second load test my 3 month old china battery failed.
I charged battery and was at 12.8 volts and did another double load test and it failed them miserbly.....called my supplier(warehouse)and he had one left ,so ill get it tomorrow and see if that was my issue and if not ill be a soldering spider monkey.....thanks to all who responded

Dan

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
OK sounds like your battery was soaking up the extra charging voltage thus it never got high enough...... nevertheless, do yourself a favour and at least check S4 spider under the tank/insulation pad. That one takes all the load, so if it's clean and nice, you shouldn't have a spider bite (yet). In the not too distant future, convince yourself S6 is OK too.

Reactions: skippy344!

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
If you do check the S4, clean it good and then use some good contact paste on it to improve it’s conductivity. Russ & Ray have suggested good products for this over the years but I can’t remember what they suggested.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Noalox and OxGard....... Home Depot or Lowes might have it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts