FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike only has 600 miles on it now. Sometime around the 300 mile mark, the bike often began taking two or three pokes at the shift lever to get into 3rd, 4th and occassionally 5th gear. Downshifting has not been a problem. I lengthened the shift linkage a bit to no avail.

I can tell right away if I'm going to have the issue by preloading the shifter a tad before I pull in the clutch. If it's going to shift, there will be very little play, but if not, the amount of play is substantial. If I poke at the lever once or twice with the boot before I pull in the clutch, the play goes away and when I pull the clutch to make the shift all is well. I'm guessing that if it's not something as simple as a linkage adjustment it's going to be a major ordeal. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
At 600 miles, the gearbox is still very tight.

The shift rod can be adjusted very easily and try again (lower the gear lever a bit).

Try clutchless upshifting as another alternative, you don't need the clutch for that.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rabbit1300 said:
At 600 miles, the gearbox is still very tight.
I've owned many new bikes and never encountered this problem.

Rabbit1300 said:
The shift rod can be adjusted very easily and try again (lower the gear lever a bit).
Yes it can, but it didn't help.

Rabbit1300 said:
Try clutchless upshifting as another alternative, you don't need the clutch for that.
Again, with or without the clutch, often the shifter moves without encountering a gear. A couple pokes later one is found with or without the clutch.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Make sure that after your previous shift that you have released ALL pressure on the shift lever. What you describe sounds like the issue a few guys have when on the bike new, or with new boots. Without realising it they leave a little pressure on the shift lever, and then the bike will not select the next gear. I've never heard of this being attributable to a problem with the bike - it has always been rider correctable.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
david1300 said:
Make sure that after your previous shift that you have released ALL pressure on the shift lever. What you describe sounds like the issue a few guys have when on the bike new, or with new boots. Without realising it they leave a little pressure on the shift lever, and then the bike will not select the next gear. I've never heard of this being attributable to a problem with the bike - it has always been rider correctable.
Thanks, but I could put my boot over my head between shifts and it would still be a problem. For some background, I've been riding for the better part of the last 30 years often as my main if not only form of transport. I've owned 10 bikes over the years and have ridden and rented many others. I have NEVER had this problem with any other bike including the FJR that I rented to run around (~2k miles) Washington/Oregon with last year.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is a Warranty issue
Let your dealer fix it.
When leaving any new bike at the dealer always have the dealer sign a condition report which acknowledges that there are no scratches or dents if there are none.
This will save you lots of trouble if one of the service people scratch or drop your bike. They will not be able to claim that the damage was pre-exsisting.
If the dealer or his representative refuses to sign
1. Call Yamaha USA
2. Find a different dealer.
________
Smoking Kills

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
saddlebag said:
Thanks, but I could put my boot over my head between shifts and it would still be a problem.
And the linkage moves freely?

Sounds like a bonafide problem then.

Do keep us posted on the mechanic's prognosis, will you? It's rare.

:)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
david1300 beat me to it, that was going to be my next post - try moving the gear lever the other way as well, even had that problem myself from time to time.

Oh, and BTW, no one was remotely suggesting that you don't know how to ride a bike, hope that you are not offended - as stated, a number of people had this problem on this bike and cured by a simple correction.

Good luck with your problem solving, let us know the outcome please.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Rabbit1300 said:
Oh, and BTW, no one was remotely suggesting that you don't know how to ride a bike, hope that you are not offended - as stated, a number of people had this problem on this bike and cured by a simple correction.

Good luck with your problem solving, let us know the outcome please.
+1

·
Registered
1 Posts
06 Shifting problem

I have 100 miles on a 1 day old 06, and experienced the exact same problem. Nothing there when pulling up to 3, 4 or 5. No problem going down, and generally, no problem going up. This happened about 3 times. I have seen the posts regarding operator error, but I am pretty sure I was all the way off the lever.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I've had this a couple of times going from 4th to 5th when accelerating hard. The gear lever doesn't seem to return to the neutral position to pick up the next gear. I have assumed it's my foot not getting out of the way fast enough. If I move my foot away and then try it, it seems to work OK.

For me, it's not a big enough deal to worry about.

ALan

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
twister said:
When leaving any new bike at the dealer always have the dealer sign a condition report which acknowledges that there are no scratches or dents if there are none.
This will save you lots of trouble if one of the service people scratch or drop your bike. They will not be able to claim that the damage was pre-exsisting.
If the dealer or his representative refuses to sign
1. Call Yamaha USA
2. Find a different dealer.
Interesting, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rabbit1300 said:
david1300 beat me to it, that was going to be my next post - try moving the gear lever the other way as well, even had that problem myself from time to time.
For fun I intentionally road my other bike home being intentionally sloppy, leaving my foot on the shifter between shifts. It made no difference, the bike shifted just fine.

Rabbit1300 said:
Not at all. The poster did not know anything about me or my riding history, so offering a technique suggestion seemed perfectly legitimate. IMO, even if one is somewhat sloppy with the gear lever, it should still not fail to shift. The fact that it never happens between first and second and happens regularly between 2nd and 3rd and 3rd and 4th, but only occassionally between 4th and 5th should be a clue that it is not something rider induced. For the record, I ride on the balls of my feet so my toes are nowhere near the shifter unless I'm banging up the gears. If I'm dawdling along in second and reach for the shift lever it still fails to engage on the first lift.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: 06 Shifting problem

kingoldrum said:
I have 100 miles on a 1 day old 06, and experienced the exact same problem. Nothing there when pulling up to 3, 4 or 5. No problem going down, and generally, no problem going up. This happened about 3 times. I have seen the posts regarding operator error, but I am pretty sure I was all the way off the lever.
Sounds like a future service bulletin to me...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
alan sh said:
I've had this a couple of times going from 4th to 5th when accelerating hard. The gear lever doesn't seem to return to the neutral position to pick up the next gear. I have assumed it's my foot not getting out of the way fast enough. If I move my foot away and then try it, it seems to work OK.
ALan
Bike year, mileage?

alan sh said:
ALan
Not shifting when actuated is acceptable performance to you? You are one easy going dude.

·
Registered
69 Posts
shifting

This happened to me when i first got the bike and when i brought it in for the 600 mile i mentioned it to the service mgr. they looked at it and said it was fine. I have found that now that i have 2200 miles that the shifting is improving tremendously. Keep an eye on it and if it does not improve that is what warranties are for. Ride safe. Everett

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Liquidsilver said:
saddlebag said:
Sounds like a bonafide problem then.

Do keep us posted on the mechanic's prognosis, will you? It's rare.

:)
The problem appears to be solved. At 600 miles on the nose I just changed the oil to Castrol Syntec 20W-50 this evening. I put 21 miles on it doing everything from bebop shifts to banging it up through the gears rapidly under load. Not a single missed shift. Prior to the oil change I would be lucky to have the bike shift on the first try one time in 10. Apparently, Yami put their best non-shift lube into our fat daddies for break-in porpoises. Runs like a champ now, I just hope I don't have to change the oil every 300 miles from here on out. :wink:

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
saddlebag said:
Apparently, Yami put their best non-shift lube into our fat daddies for break-in porpoises. Runs like a champ now, I just hope I don't have to change the oil every 300 miles from here on out. :wink:
Weird, not my experience at all. Glad the bike is doing better or is fixed, hope it's fixed for good!

·
Registered
632 Posts
saddlebag said:
alan sh said:
ALan
Bike year, mileage?

alan sh said:
ALan
Not shifting when actuated is acceptable performance to you? You are one easy going dude.
2006 model FJR1300 with 3,500 miles.

Yep - easygoing - that's me....

Alan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.