FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Very nice graphic presentation/explanation...now if only dear Yamaha USA would bother to DELIVER the bikes that were supposed to be here in March............but aren't. Gee, then us "waiters" could find out if all this hi tech airflow management really works...wottah concept. DFO :p :p :p :p

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
I did smile as I read the air management explanation - like where do we get cool air in summer in 35C 80% humidity weather :mrgreen: I guess riding in warm air fo 8 months of the year has hardened me, as I seldom feel heat from the bike, but boy, I do feel it from the environment.

The explanation reads well, though.

·
Registered
237 Posts
david1300 said:
I did smile as I read the air management explanation - like where do we get cool air in summer in 35C 80% humidity weather :mrgreen: I guess riding in warm air fo 8 months of the year has hardened me, as I seldom feel heat from the bike, but boy, I do feel it from the environment.

The explanation reads well, though.
Dear David,

I utterly recent your comments of living in a nice climate with only 8 months warm weather:) If you would like to change venues to, lets say, Finland then just let me know. I can guarantee at least eight months of cold and rain (sliding scale). As an bonus you´ll also receive four months of freezing winter and snow & slush etc... Personally I really like a warm FJR. When we wan´t to get hot, we go to a sauna.

Temp this morning 6 am +1 Celsius

End of rambling:)

Bored Finnfjr

·
Registered
20 Posts
Radiator Fans

Do these two fans runs continuously or do they cycle on and off based on coolant temperature?

From the discussion it would seem that they run continuously. The '06 may have fewer excess watts for add-ons.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All the bikes with electric fans (that I'm aware of) are controlled by a thermostatic switch. This gives the bike the ability to cool itself on a very hot day when you may be stuck in traffic. While the bike moves the air forced through the radiator reduces the temp of the coolant.
The electric fans will come on occassionally while running in hot weather, but stay on usually for a very short time.
Besides, who would need constant running fans in cold weather riding.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fans

Included are twin ring fans that work to push the majority of air, heated as it passes through the radiator, out the sides of the motorcycle and away from the rider.

From this info I'd speculate that they run all the time or at least when the coolant has reached normal operating temperature.

It would seem that the fans are an integral part of moving the warm air out the sides of the bike.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I knew they'd finally look an old '83 Yamaha Vision and figure out how to re-direct the air. They probably had to call 2 or 3 retirees from the design staff.

·
Registered
26 Posts
a very interesting read War Machine..... maybe one day this year I'll test all that warm weather, hot air technology for myself. I've been pushed back untiil mid Aprill but, I guess there are those who have beed waiters much longer.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Well, they've certainly paid a lot of attention to air flow and keeping the rider comfortable, looks good. But I wonder if they've thought about all the insect guts that is going to come spraying through those fairing vents onto the rider, and all the insect bodies that are going to get trapped inside the fairing where you can't clean them out???

And I hope they have looked at what happens to all the water when the bike is ridden in the rain. :(

·
Registered
192 Posts
air management

They took the bugs and water into consideration. The water will do the same thing it does on any other bike. It wil splash all over everything and, now here's the big thing, it will wash all of those bugs away :D

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Lots of bugs here in Australia, and not much rain, except in cyclones. :?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Padding Material

My 06 has grey padding material between the right fairing and the radiator and on the second air slot between the fairing and the engine. None on the left side. Looks like packing material to me but the dealer says it is glued to the fairing so it must stay. Anyone have this too or should it have been removed during prep? Thanks. :?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Can't see why the fans would be required for anything other than stopped in traffic or short periods of elevated engine temp. Thermostatic switching of the fans when coolant temp rises a little seems the obvious approach. Full time use of fans doesnt make sense at any level given the availability of air flow when under way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The heat management system *works*...

and works very well. Picked up my bike yesterday morning in Kansas City, rode home in upper-40's to mid 50's weather. Took it out again today for about 6 hours, where it was mid 50's most of the day. Both days when I started to get chilly, I'd just open up the fairing vents and instant warmth to my legs, which warmed the rest of me right up. My BMW-riding mate was very jealous! :lol:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Fans are thermostatically switched, and should only come on at 4 bars on the temp gauge, off again at 2-3 bars.

@ borrec - yes they are meant to be there. Cheap and nasty afterthought anti-vibration stuff if you ask me, but then maybe you didn't :ale:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks

malki said:
Fans are thermostatically switched, and should only come on at 4 bars on the temp gauge, off again at 2-3 bars.

@ borrec - yes they are meant to be there. Cheap and nasty afterthought anti-vibration stuff if you ask me, but then maybe you didn't :ale:
Thanks Malki

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
@borrec, leave the foam. It is part of the heat management system. We as past owners were sticking that stuff all over our 01-05 models to stop the hot air. It is not packing material. So far on my 06 it seems to be working. I feel less heat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
pluric said:
@borrec, leave the foam. It is part of the heat management system. We as past owners were sticking that stuff all over our 01-05 models to stop the hot air. It is not packing material. So far on my 06 it seems to be working. I feel less heat.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts