FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having problems with the engine dying at low speed, little throttle - for example when coming to a stop or going around a corner in traffic. Today it died while I was going down the ramp into a parking garage - with the clutch in and rolling a 10 mph. It has died while approaching a toll booth etc. It seems I can't make it to work without at least one occurrence of the engine dying. Has anyone expereinced this?

·
Registered
372 Posts
This is the first posting of this occurence I am aware of. Will it make it back to the dealer's under it's own steam? Sounds like a fuel management issue, but fresh out of the box, it could be something else??
Good luck with a quick assessment, diagnosis and correction of the problem from your dealer.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Faulty TPS? Kinked vacuum hose?

Hope the dealer finds it quickly. Those motors have a very resillient idle.

:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
2006 cutting out

I had the same probelm with my 2006,twice outside the dealers and twice after two days both times when bike had been warming up on tick over.Has not happened since 600mile service ,i mentioned it to the dealer,he says it may have been the tick over speed,which is now 1100.It was a bit scary as I nearly dropped the bike at a junction.All seems well now 2000 miles on the clock,just got to figure a way of fixing a Givi topbox to the sports rack.Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do you change idle speed?

Thanks for the comments -- When it dies I been lucky enough that is was rolling fast enough that I could restart - which usually takes about 3 seconds of cranking. I was wondering about the idle speed. I noticed that it sometimes hovers around 1000 rpm. I wanted to move it up a notch but couldn't find any directions for how to do that in the owners manual. Can anyone provide such?

·
Registered
38 Posts
My '06 has been doing that more and more: 3x on the last hour long ride the other night, always when slowing for a stop. Restarts instantly...still...... She will be dropped off later today for her 600 mile service to be done on Monday. Hopefully with a proper TBS etc all will be well again because despite the uncomfy seat (for me with a new right hip) this bike is really a vast improvement over my '03 FJR.

Of course that ticking sound I have heard upon cold starup the last two times, hhmmm??? DFO

·
Registered
8 Posts
WOW!!!, after talking to my dealer, mine was the only case of the engine dying. It seemed, maybe, a little different on mine, than the way you describe it.
I found that it would die usually in 1st gear as I am pulling out and fully release the clutch, it also happened in 2nd a few times, at first I thought it was bad gas, still might have been.
I filled a tankful of high test and a half bottle of injector cleaner, no more stumble or engine dying.

·
Registered
215 Posts
My 04 does this occasionaly. Usually when it is not fully at normal engine temp. The cold fast idle seems to drop off before the engine is hot enough.
I have not worried about it yet as i can live with it provided it does not get any worse.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Re: How do you change idle speed?

joecbr1100 said:
I was wondering about the idle speed. I noticed that it sometimes hovers around 1000 rpm. I wanted to move it up a notch but couldn't find any directions for how to do that in the owners manual. Can anyone provide such?
The idle adjustment screw can be found at this link ==> FJRTech: Idle Adjustment Screw location

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: How do you change idle speed?

Warchild said:
joecbr1100 said:
I was wondering about the idle speed. I noticed that it sometimes hovers around 1000 rpm. I wanted to move it up a notch but couldn't find any directions for how to do that in the owners manual. Can anyone provide such?
The idle adjustment screw can be found at this link ==> FJRTech: Idle Adjustment Screw location
Thanks -- you are the man.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: 2006 cutting out

[quote=",just got to figure a way of fixing a Givi topbox to the sports rack.Anyone got any ideas?[/quote]

Yep, remove the rack and fix a Givi one. A mere £70.

·
Registered
28 Posts
givi rack for £70

I ordered one for my 04, it looked like it had been welded by a drunken 12 yr old,the dealer agreed, sent it back to givi asking was this normal , they said yes.thanks for the suggestion,though.I might contact givi myself,to see if anything in the pipeline for 06

·
Registered
55 Posts
Swegas, the one I fitted to my 03 looked fine and was a perfect fit. However it did cost more than a pushbike I bought at the same time (with suspension both ends!). And it started going rusty almost immediately. But if you want to fit a Givi box, I don't see you've got much choice.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts