FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday during a 90F day in S. TX, the temperature indicator hit 6 bars (6 of 10) in pause and go slow traffic on the Gulf Freeway (never stopped). It took about 8 miles at 70-80 for it to get back down to 4 bars, and there was a LOT of heat on my left foot during this time (even though I changed direction 90 deg relative to the prevailing SE wind). 1st time I've observed any heat or high temp, but summer is just beginning.

The owner's manual does not provide any interpretation of the display. Could it possibly start flashing when an overheated condition is reached (similar to low fuel condition)?

Virtually 100% of the time, 4 bars are displayed when the engine is warm. I did observe 5 bars one time after an extended idling condition. I was really surpised when I observed 6 bars yesterday evening in slow traffic 10-30 mph, 2nd or 3rd gear, no road grade, light engine load, and not for a very extended amount of time (5-6 minutes). Coolant level is dead center and no loss of coolant has ever been observed.

I'm going to start watching it much more carefully, do some tests, and try to better understand what is going on. It's probably ok as long as it doesn't get any higher than that, and the cooling fans might explain the additional heat blast on my left ankle and foot. However the fans are located near the top of the radiator, and it would appear the hot air would exit equally through the large openings at the mid fairing locations.

Anyone else experience any warm operation or overheating of the 2006 model?

SL

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Re: 2006 6 bars temperature indication - high heat on left f

Essell said:
I'm going to start watching it much more carefully, do some tests, and try to better understand what is going on.......Anyone else experience any warm operation or overheating of the 2006 model?
Do some tests? What kind of tests?

I don't think it's very complicated, you go slower, radiator is unable to remove as much heat. You speed up, the heat gets thrown off. And yes, it is ducted down near your feet so that's what you felt.

You have not experienced overheating. I see 6 bars on mine whenever I slow down to below 30 or so. And yes, I do think there is some kind of additional warning light that would indicate an actual overheating. I don't have my manual with me at the moment but I'm pretty sure it is covered in there.

I think you're wasting your time on any tests, it sounds to me that what you're experiencing is perfectly normal and exactly what you'd expect.

·
Registered
192 Posts
6 bars

Whew! I'm glad you said 6 out of 10. My 03 only has 6 bars, so I thought maybe you were running it without coolant. :D

·
Registered
192 Posts
6 bars

Doesn't sound like it's much of a problem. The fans should be running when you get 6 bars. You ain't nuttin wrong.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Water cooled bikes are a lot more temperature stable than an air cooled engine. Sounds like everything is working OK. When do the fans switch in and out. How a lot of air cooled bikes don't seize in unavoidable traffic with high air temps surprises me at times. High compression air cooled engines must get a lot of "blow by" with the wide clearances needed.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Think about it, Zero bars: stone cold, 10 bars: meltdown. 6 is only just above halfway so don't worry. Save that for whenyou get 8 or 9 showing :lol:

·
Registered
51 Posts
My new 06 performs exactly as you describe temperature wise. Four bars running and any thing up to 6 stop and go and idling on hot day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My '06 performs exactly as indicated in the previous post. I live in North Texas where it gets might warm, and the new FJ runs at four bars on the highway and typically up to 6 bars sitting at stop lights. On those occasions where the temp gauge goes two bars past the mid-point, the fans kick in.

In any case, I have run this bike hard during 95+ degree days and do not feel overheating is something to be overly concerned about. 8)

·
Registered
531 Posts
At least its not like my LT. The fans dont switch on until the temp gauge is at the red zone. Then it drops it back down to mid-level before switching off. And, yes, this is by design. Must be to reduce the # of switching cycles. Crafty Krauts.

·
Registered
122 Posts
alta said:
My '06 performs exactly as indicated in the previous post. I live in North Texas where it gets might warm, and the new FJ runs at four bars on the highway and typically up to 6 bars sitting at stop lights. On those occasions where the temp gauge goes two bars past the mid-point, the fans kick in.

In any case, I have run this bike hard during 95+ degree days and do not feel overheating is something to be overly concerned about. 8)
I have experienced a pretty similar performance to alta. The bike will get to about 7 bars when stuck in traffic on a 20+ (C) day, the fans kick in and bring the temp of the engine down and my crutch up, since some of that very warm air still makes it up there :). Overall though nothing to complain about, this bike kicks butt 8)
I remember reading in the owner's manual that the temp gauge will flash when the 10th bar lights up just like the low fuel gauge does.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Bob1955 said:
Heat on the left foot?...............ONLY???

You lucky 06 owners... :mrgreen:
I don't know about the other 06 owners, but when the fans on my 06 kick in, I get hot air blowing on both sides.
I guess if you really don't like that then you just have to change bikes. I can guarantee that a 50cc Honda Cub puts out a lot less heat :crylarf:
I just recite the old cliché, there's no free lunch, if you want the kick ass performance of the FJR then just put up with the side effects of seating on top of a 1300cc, 145hp power plant :twisted:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts