FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering in anyone has had success with lowering the standard seat height about 1 inch to compensate for short legs. I am 5'7 tall and am considering a custom Corbin seat lowered about 1 inch. If anyone has used a lowered Corbin I would appreciate feedback.

Has anyone perfomed the 1 inch adjustment with the standard OEM seat with success ? I know they have addressed this problem with the 2006 model because many owners are in the same boat as I.

Thanks in advance for all who take the time to respond.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You can do a foamectomy yourself on the stock seat or take it to a local upholsterer. Cheaper than springing for a new seat. Someone here has photos of the process. Damned if I can remember...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ya Ya ... lots of short jokes.

Got the Corbin c/w Smuggler. Looks great, better than original and a little lower. Recommend lowering links. Used them on a KLR 650 ... no problems with handling, but watch your sidestand legs. Recently saw a good looking set at www.koubalink.com Don't have them and can't comment on their quality. Won't take any responsibility ... etc. per legal realities of the day.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I met a fellow FJR owner yesterday, he has a seat that has lowered to allow flat footing it. I will ask him for details and get back to the thread.
RD.

·
Registered
12 Posts
While surgery often means good drugs, you can save enough money with these to lower your seat too and buy a lifetime of beer.

http://www.adjustmenttech.com/

Click on "adjusters", then click on the second picture, the struts, not the parallel set up. They say these are good to drop 1.5 to 3" but i don't know myself. You might want to lower the front a tad as well by sliding the tubes up.

PS: I didn't realize it but upon further review the first picture will work as well and is fully adjustable, for more money.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Greetings:
I'm the guy "rocketdoc" met yesterday. I am 5'6" inseam 30'. I had the standard seat lowered (Shaved), but bought another standard seat for two up and distance riding. I have been riding bikes since I was 15 so I do have a great deal of riding experience. I feel comfortable riding flat footed or on the the balls of my feet.

Do what ever feels comfortable for you.

Ride Safe

Kone

·
Registered
737 Posts
hogan2085 said:
Bounce just one question do they do this procedure for other bits ? :oops:
hogan, I don't think the procedure works on boneless body parts. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
My inseam is 27 1/2 inches.
Not long after I got my '03 FJR I sent the seat to Sargent Cycle in JAX,FL where they mdae it lower,narrower and moved the seating position forward. I can't quite flat-foot with both feet but I can flat-foot with one and get a toe down with the other.
I have ~20,000 miles of touring,"runnin' the curves",and cruising with two-up with my wife without any problems.

Paint

·
Registered
14 Posts
rhody said:
I am wondering in anyone has had success with lowering the standard seat height about 1 inch to compensate for short legs. I am 5'7 tall and am considering a custom Corbin seat lowered about 1 inch. If anyone has used a lowered Corbin I would appreciate feedback.

Has anyone perfomed the 1 inch adjustment with the standard OEM seat with success ? I know they have addressed this problem with the 2006 model because many owners are in the same boat as I.

Thanks in advance for all who take the time to respond.
Try this site, http://www.americanasoftseats.com/ they will do a good job and at a reasonable price. Just let them know what you have in mind.

·
Registered
40 Posts
lowering seat

Stoney,
I took my seat & a gel pad I purchased to my local boat & auto upholsterer. He cut the foam down to an inch from the pan, then cut out a pocket for the gel pad all the way to the pan. He shaved the front sides to narrow it up where my legs were when standing & covered the shaped seat with a cloth covered 1/4 " foam.
The comfort is good and I have not had the hot seat some say will happen with gel. The seat looks stock.
Cost was $75 for the gel pad & only $55 for the labor.

dobias

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: lowering seat

dobias said:
Stoney,
I took my seat & a gel pad I purchased to my local boat & auto upholsterer. He cut the foam down to an inch from the pan, then cut out a pocket for the gel pad all the way to the pan. He shaved the front sides to narrow it up where my legs were when standing & covered the shaped seat with a cloth covered 1/4 " foam.
The comfort is good and I have not had the hot seat some say will happen with gel. The seat looks stock.
Cost was $75 for the gel pad & only $55 for the labor.

dobias
Sounds great Dobias, now go put a couple hundred thousand miles on that rascal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Two more cents:
I bought the Corbin saddle & Smuggler trunk. I had Corbin cut down the new seat (my guess 3/4"). Saw the KoubaLink on this board. Contacted them (koubalink.com) and ordered their lowering kit (US$80). Expect total drop in rear seat of about 1 1/2".

Good service from Corbin, a little slow maybe. I love the seat. Typical excellent Corbin quality (have had 2 other seats: BMW R100S and KLR 650)

Fabulous service from KoubaLink. I can't say enough good about them. Responsive on phone, excellent service (fast) and reasonably priced. Parts look excellent. Now if I could only lift up the bike and put them on ...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lowering the FJR

Two more cents:
I bought the Corbin saddle & Smuggler trunk. I had Corbin cut down the new seat (my guess 3/4"). Saw the KoubaLink on this board. Contacted them (koubalink.com) and ordered their lowering kit (US$80). Expect total drop in rear seat of about 1 1/2".

Good service from Corbin, a little slow maybe. I love the seat. Typical excellent Corbin quality (have had 2 other seats: BMW R100S and KLR 650)

Fabulous service from KoubaLink. I can't say enough good about them. Responsive on phone, excellent service (fast) and reasonably priced. Parts look excellent. Now if I could only lift up the bike and put them on ...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts