FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably not too many 2003 models left on the road, so if anyone is interested, I'd like to offer up my front turn signal modification.
Used these from TST:
LED Front Flushmount Turn Signals | Yamaha | TST Industries
In hindsight, I should have gotten the smoke versions.
Also, used these, to make the turn signal a running light as well as a turn signal:
TST Industries | Turn Signal Running Mate
These adapter plates are also required, bought off e-bay:
Turn Signal Adapter Plate Stalk For Yamaha FZ YZF Light R1 R6 Flasher V2 Black | eBay
I like this set up because there is no cutting of wires required, so I can return to stock at any time. Aside from the time involved taking the fairings off, easy install. Yeah, they are small, but I never take for granted drivers in front of me see me. I'm always on my guard.
Couple photos of the finished install:

Hood Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Flash photography Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
380 Posts
Probably not too many 2003 models left on the road, so if anyone is interested, I'd like to offer up my front turn signal modification.
Used these from TST:
LED Front Flushmount Turn Signals | Yamaha | TST Industries
In hindsight, I should have gotten the smoke versions.
Also, used these, to make the turn signal a running light as well as a turn signal:
TST Industries | Turn Signal Running Mate
These adapter plates are also required, bought off e-bay:
Turn Signal Adapter Plate Stalk For Yamaha FZ YZF Light R1 R6 Flasher V2 Black | eBay
I like this set up because there is no cutting of wires required, so I can return to stock at any time. Aside from the time involved taking the fairings off, easy install. Yeah, they are small, but I never take for granted drivers in front of me see me. I'm always on my guard.
Couple photos of the finished install:

View attachment 85353 View attachment 85355 View attachment 85356 View attachment 85357 View attachment 85358
$53?!?!?!?!?!? I think I found my next project! Thank you so much for posting this! I was thinking of ways to turn my OEM's into LED AUX lights with a turn signal like newer cars have but for $53 this is going on first.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Seriously this is awesome, I love the look too! +2 HP for less wind resistance.
I will do the smoked and post pics so you can see the difference and who knows maybe we trade?

BTW: Beautiful GEN 1! Mind delving out the details?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Interesting.

I modified mine so that the front turn signal lights blink like this: bright-off-bright-off instead of bright-dim-bright-dim, similar to car turn signal lights. It makes them more visible to on coming traffic.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,628 Posts
Definitely interesting if I had that type..... I thought the slow strobe would be good and not attract LEO attention.
I converted my VFR and Versys 1000 to LED from Superbrite LED's..... standard base bulbs and swapped out the flasher unit. I have some modules to turn them into running lights also but have not installed them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will do the smoked and post pics so you can see the difference and who knows maybe we trade?

Neglected to mention, you will need to swap out the flasher relay for an LED compatible flasher relay. Forget where I got mine, but it's Yamaha compatible plug and play. I double stick tape'd it to the windshield motor.
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive exterior Automotive design
Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive exterior Automotive design

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Not really too many details. It's basically in original condition. No ABS. No traction aids. Pure motorcycle. About 44K on it. Previous owner, the first and original owner, installed the fork brace and swapped out the 2003 fork springs with 2004 springs. He said it handled better. I'll take his word for it. He removed all the decals. He made and installed the rinky dink home made heat deflector thingies; I removed them and felt no difference. No getting around that fact the bike is a testical roaster. Or a vagina killer. It was a ticker, so he had the valve guides replaced under warranty. I swapped out the CCT, installed LED bulbs front and rear, um, oh yeah, had the drivers seat redone by Spencer. T-Rex sliders. I removed the tangled PAIR mess. Basic maintenance, tires, oil changes, etc, that's it. Dropped it once which scratched up the right side fairing; got rear ended once, scraping up the left side when it hit the pavement. Had a Delkevic complete exhaust on it, but decided to go back to stock (Delkevic still for sale). Grip Buddies, the thin ones. Hand guards from the Suzuki V-Strom (I think it was), I call it the Silver Streak. Great bike. Fast as s*** (two speeding tickets-ouch), but mild mannered when necessary.
Okay. Now that I've bored everyone to sleep, thanks for asking.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Not really too many details. It's basically in original condition. No ABS. No traction aids. Pure motorcycle. About 44K on it. Previous owner, the first and original owner, installed the fork brace and swapped out the 2003 fork springs with 2004 springs. He said it handled better. I'll take his word for it. He removed all the decals. He made and installed the rinky dink home made heat deflector thingies; I removed them and felt no difference. No getting around that fact the bike is a testical roaster. Or a vagina killer. It was a ticker, so he had the valve guides replaced under warranty. I swapped out the CCT, installed LED bulbs front and rear, um, oh yeah, had the drivers seat redone by Spencer. T-Rex sliders. I removed the tangled PAIR mess. Basic maintenance, tires, oil changes, etc, that's it. Dropped it once which scratched up the right side fairing; got rear ended once, scraping up the left side when it hit the pavement. Had a Delkevic complete exhaust on it, but decided to go back to stock (Delkevic still for sale). Grip Buddies, the thin ones. Hand guards from the Suzuki V-Strom (I think it was), I call it the Silver Streak. Great bike. Fast as s*** (two speeding tickets-ouch), but mild mannered when necessary.
Okay. Now that I've bored everyone to sleep, thanks for asking.
If they were bored, fuck em. I’m smiling ear to ear. Fast as fuck, boi!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If they were bored, fuck em. I’m smiling ear to ear. Fast as fuck, boi!
now now. Be nice. Yeah, fast indeed. When I first got the bike I was eager to give it WOT. 140 no problem. Ran out of room so who knows how much faster it may have gone. Nowadays while on the highway I keep it around 80-100, where the bike seems to be happiest. Mostly I just appreciate how well such a big bike handles in the twisties. But, this is wandering off the original idea of the posting.......
Looking into the Proton turn signals. Question for you oldjeep. The proton web site does not have dimensions for their blinkers. Any idea which blinkers would fit the FJR? They have many choices for Yamaha brand, but the price is the same across all models, with no photos or dimensions given.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Neglected to mention, you will need to swap out the flasher relay for an LED compatible flasher relay. Forget where I got mine, but it's Yamaha compatible plug and play. I double stick tape'd it to the windshield motor.
View attachment 85374 View attachment 85374 View attachment 85375 View attachment 85375
$53?!?!?!?!?!? I think I found my next project! Thank you so much for posting this! I was thinking of ways to turn my OEM's into LED AUX lights with a turn signal like newer cars have but for $53 this is going on first.
Found the LED flasher relay at Cycle Gear:
Speedmetal LED Turn Signal Relay Yamaha - Cycle Gear

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still cheap as fuck... I am going to do this within the next week or so.
View attachment 85377

(No racial undertones I am half Kazakhstani.)
I have to say, the Proton blinkers look pretty good. Way brighter than the TST blinkers. Cost more, but more light is better. Only sticky point for me is the website has no dimensions, so it is unclear which blinkers are best for the FJR.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have to say, the Proton blinkers look pretty good. Way brighter than the TST blinkers. Cost more, but more light is better. Only sticky point for me is the website has no dimensions, so it is unclear which blinkers are best for the FJR.
I ride with my brights on and a light bar. I will ride with LED AUX lights on when I find a set I like. My theory is if people can't see they stay going straight and slow down, makes it easier for me to avoid them.

·
Registered
380 Posts
View attachment 85374
View attachment 85374
View attachment 85375
View attachment 85375
If you could find the relay you used I would be super happy. If not I can keep searching but I am guessing you already know what you are looking for you may be able to find it easier.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts