FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
An issue has come up on bike. For some reason it wont start up unless it is in neutral. I try to pull in clutch to start it and if got nothing.
Brand new lithium battery.and I just added some heated grips.
Than is in advance

·
Registered
157 Posts
That would tend to indicate that the clutch switch is bad. If it were me I would disconnect the wires and then check the switch with a multimeter for continuity with clutch lever in and out

·
Registered
157 Posts
Little googling says - 3GM-83980-00

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stop switch assembly? I think it is that part rather just swap it our then mess with it. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I would do a simple check with a multimeter before I spent the $25, but just tossing parts at things is an option too ;)
Ranger,

Amazon has lots of feature-rich multimeters for less than US$40. Most multimeters will have a beeper function (continuity), so when you connect the meter leads to the pins of a switch, the meter beeps when you close the switch.

Get a meter which has test leads that plug into the meter (not hard-wired in), so you can replace a bad test lead (if ever needed). Makes it easy to change to longer test leads, if needed. Some meters will have an analog bar graph in the display, which is good for checking stuff like throttle controls, or intermittent power in the wiring.

Reactions: passx

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ranger,

Amazon has lots of feature-rich multimeters for less than US$40. Most multimeters will have a beeper function (continuity), so when you connect the meter leads to the pins of a switch, the meter beeps when you close the switch.

Get a meter which has test leads that plug into the meter (not hard-wired in), so you can replace a bad test lead (if ever needed). Makes it easy to change to longer test leads, if needed. Some meters will have an analog bar graph in the display, which is good for checking stuff like throttle controls, or intermittent power in the wiring.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So this is weird. I went out to try it again. Kistand up nothing. Like before.. Then I thought to myself "you are using a key you just had made" tried it with the OEM key and it worked..atarts right up in gear...weird..any info on that?

·
Registered
80 Posts
That is definitely weird. And doesn't make any sense.

Occasionally, something happens with clutch switches, brake switches, sidestand switches, ect...... I have never had to replace one. It's always been dirt/gunk buildup. I few shots of brake cleaner and all is well again.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,117 Posts
Yep, doesn't make sense... one key longer than the other? All the key does is turn the ignition switch... wouldn't care what key unless length has something to do with it.

Reactions: Bodie

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All fixed took it our cleaned it up. Use volt meter is never used before . works with all keys..thanks folks!

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300
182 Posts
Are you looking for a passenger or pilot backrest?
I have a passenger backrest that’s sitting on the shelf not getting used.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts