FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 Gen 1
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I can see the eyes rolling. NOTAGAIN! Maybe I just didn't use the correct wording, but I did multiple searchs using different criteria and came up with pages and pages of brake pads, rotor bolts.....nothing specific and remaining on topic regarding brake rotors, who uses and likes what, or comparisions.

I need to replace my front rotors ASAP. At 45k the (original) front rotors are 4.2mm and looking groovy.

OEM rotors are around $250 apiece, depending on source. Yikes!

Are any aftermarket rotors as good as OEM, but less expensive? EBC? E-bay? Chinese?

Thanks in advance for on subject replies.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,084 Posts
Gasp! I have used a few sets of Chinese rotors on various bikes including the FJR..... from this supplier, BikingBoy. Really good quality stainless. Note, Gen1 had two diameter rotors, I think 2003 were 310mm, and the rest were 320mm diameter. Make sure you get the right ones, or at least try a 320mm to see if it will work........

·
Premium Member
2003 Gen 1
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gasp! I have used a few sets of Chinese rotors on various bikes including the FJR..... from this supplier, BikingBoy. Really good quality stainless. Note, Gen1 had two diameter rotors, I think 2003 were 310mm, and the rest were 320mm diameter. Make sure you get the right ones, or at least try a 320mm to see if it will work........

Thanks for the reply.
BikingBoy I presume is an e-bay seller?
My factory manual says 298mm front, 283mm rear for the 2003. I don't have a caliper big enough to measure while the wheel is installed on the bike, so I will have to believe the manual.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,084 Posts
BikingBoy is the Ali-Express seller..... he may have an ebay listing, not sure.

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
731 Posts
EBay has OEM rotors for like $50 a pair from MC recyclers.

320mm is what you need if you have the Blue/Silver Yami piston and not the Niss

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,084 Posts
Ali-Express.....not familiar with that. I'm guessing it will pop up when I ask google?
Why ask Google, just click the link I posted for ya.

Reactions: skippy344!

·
Registered
2014 FJR-A
217 Posts
2001 -- 2003 FJR Front Rotors are 298mm diameter. Unless the front forks have been changed to later model or some sort of caliper relocating bracket is used for larger diameter rotors.
2001 -- 2005 (Gen 1) US models have a different front axle from 2006 to present (Gen 2 / 3) front axles.

2004 -- Present US model FJR Front Rotors are 320mm diameter.

dan

Reactions: EricV

·
Premium Member
2003 Gen 1
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
EBay has OEM rotors for like $50 a pair from MC recyclers.

320mm is what you need if you have the Blue/Silver Yami piston and not the Niss
Thank you for the response.
I am generally leery of used rotors, but I'm willing to check it out.
I have used multiple methods of mcrecyclers on e-bay with no results. Can you provide a link or more accurate seller name?
Pistons are blue. My calipers are 298mm. Definetely not 320. Used a pony adjustable clamp as my caliper, then measured the gap.
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,084 Posts
Best you send him a message to see if he has 298/300mm rotors. They are a bit scarce.

·
Premium Member
2003 Gen 1
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Best you send him a message to see if he has 298/300mm rotors. They are a bit scarce.
I will do that. Thanks for the suggestion. The rear rotor in his photos shows 4mm thickness. Rear rotor OEM is 6mm with a 5mm min thickness. I might just buy an aftermarket pair of front rotors and go with a OEM rear rotor because I have not found any aftermarket rear rotor that is 6mm thick.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,084 Posts
The numbers stamped on his rotors are the minimum service limits for the material. The rotors are actually thicker, I believe 5mm...... ask him that too.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,084 Posts
One would be hard pressed to wear a rear rotor down..... do you really need one??
All FJR's use the same rear caliper. Only Gen 1 used a 6mm rear disc.

·
Registered
106 Posts

US $229.58 - 245.98 :eek: not affordable for mine

·
Registered
110 Posts
@jayvan - Dan Cooper is correct, '03 FJRs have 298mm front rotors. At the time, that was also the same rotor as the R1, so you really shouldn't have any trouble finding rotors from any source. Double check the part numbers, as it's been a while since I had my '04 and I rode with several '03 FJR riders. You will see rotors listed for '01-'03 and sometimes '01-'04. The '04 is not an error, EU '04 FJRs were US '03's. US '04's use the larger 320mm size.

Someone sure trashed your bike. Sucks, but at least you're on top of it. I think my front rotors were replaced for the first time at about 120k miles. I went with Braking brand and the quality was excellent. I use OEM pads because the popular EBC HH pads wear the rotors significantly faster and street riders, imho, aren't lacking for braking power on stock pads. Less dusting is nice too.

FRONT

REAR

·
Premium Member
2003 Gen 1
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@jayvan - Dan Cooper is correct, '03 FJRs have 298mm front rotors. At the time, that was also the same rotor as the R1, so you really shouldn't have any trouble finding rotors from any source. Double check the part numbers, as it's been a while since I had my '04 and I rode with several '03 FJR riders. You will see rotors listed for '01-'03 and sometimes '01-'04. The '04 is not an error, EU '04 FJRs were US '03's. US '04's use the larger 320mm size.

Someone sure trashed your bike. Sucks, but at least you're on top of it. I think my front rotors were replaced for the first time at about 120k miles. I went with Braking brand and the quality was excellent. I use OEM pads because the popular EBC HH pads wear the rotors significantly faster and street riders, imho, aren't lacking for braking power on stock pads. Less dusting is nice too.

FRONT

REAR
Yes, I confirmed the factory manual stated 298mm rotor diameter with an accurate measurement.
Thanks for the links, but they seem weird. The front brake link shows a rear brake rotor, and the rear brake link shows a front rotor.
My bike wasn't trashed. The guy I got it from, the original owner, took excellent care of it, aside from probably being a heavy braker. In fact, I've probably abused it more than he did. I've dropped it twice and been rear ended. Nothing major, but the scars show.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts