FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everybody

since i'm getting 40 years old next year, my wife allowed me :crylarf: to plan a 2 months trip through usa in august/september 2007. it's sort of a birthday gift to myself and a fullfilling of one of my biggest dreams :mrgreen:

can you give me some advice with regard to motorbike rental. we plan to arrive in new york and fly back vom los angeles or san francisco. during these 2 months we intend to tour around the states, i.e. east --> west!

where can one rent a bike for such a long period without paying a hell lot of money?

hope to get some help from you guys.

with best regards from austria

stephan rissi

www.rissi.com
www.fjr-austria-tour.com

·
Registered
15 Posts
No info on rentals. Should you be in Southern Vt and you should be to ride Rt 100 look me up . Groceries and pillow are not out of the question.Dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ dave + glenn

tks a lot for your invitation :ale:
as soon as i have managed to get a bike, i will plan my trip

anyway, it does not have to be a fjr. therefore i'm glad for all your help with regard to bike rental.

cu
stephan :wink:

·
Registered
60 Posts
There are some riders on FJR1300 France that were proposing to do route 66 from east to west in fall 2007 and they were thinking of bringing their bikes. (They decided renting for 30+ days is too expensive!) . Have a look at the thread and maybe you can use some of their planning info or piggyback on the transport arrangements they are looking at. Hell another FJR in the container is nothing. :D

http://www.etlamarmotte.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=694

·
Registered
237 Posts
Dear Stephan,

I really envy you. I just turned 40 in Ferbruary and didn´t came to think about doing a two month trip in the USA. I must be stupid and slow :lol: However I find it very pleasing that somebody, in this case you, have thought about this. Since you have the opportunity and the time to do this right:
- buy a bike from the nearest dealership available in New York (or where ever)
- make it an adventure
- buy an another when the first one quit
- travel light
- take it easy and slow
- feel alive

Tell us all about it.

I wish you a trip of a lifetime ( well at leat the first 40 years):)

Stephan aka Finnfjr

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think you'll have an extremely difficult time renting a bike that you pick up at one location and drop off at another. If you never plan on returning to the US, rent the best bike you can find, drive it across the country, leave it in a parking lot, and fly away. Wait, that would be dishonest.

Since your trip is so long in duration, you may be better off shipping your current motorcycle over or trying the buy/sell trick. Do you have the cash to spare to buy a motorcycle, insure it, and then sell it at the end of the trip?

Have fun!

Worldbound4now

·
Registered
15 Posts
swondi said:
hi everybody

since i'm getting 40 years old next year, my wife allowed me :crylarf: to plan a 2 months trip through usa in august/september 2007. it's sort of a birthday gift to myself and a fullfilling of one of my biggest dreams :mrgreen:

can you give me some advice with regard to motorbike rental. we plan to arrive in new york and fly back vom los angeles or san francisco. during these 2 months we intend to tour around the states, i.e. east --> west!

where can one rent a bike for such a long period without paying a hell lot of money?

hope to get some help from you guys.

with best regards from austria

stephan rissi

www.rissi.com
www.fjr-austria-tour.com

Hello Lucky boy.
I also being 40 next year but my whife have not coming whit so great propsal. Mayby its going to Holland next year
Have a nice trip ower there.
Have a nice summer
Håkan Sweden

·
Registered
372 Posts
A couple of years ago I had an idea for a international touring group. The idea worked something like this...1. If you are into it, your bike becomes available to a pool of FJR exclusive riders. 2. You make your bike available for an agreed upon length of time, then you get the same in exchange with the user. ie. I let Swondi use my bike for 2 months, he lets me use his for two months some time down the road, maybe next year. By keeping this FJR exclusive, there is familiarity with the make/model making it safer and a higher level of confidence to the lendee and the lender when it comes to do the same.
Insurance would be the responsibility of the lender, must be in place before taking the bike. Bikes would have to be in excellent repair, providing service records, new rubber, etc. And any repairs must be the responsibility of the lender.
This could be workable IF we had a few others who would be interested in the concept.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts