FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Looks like it will work on those snail-like R1's that 20valves and Liquid have, too! If it really works it seems to be a cheap way to get a %10 increase in HP, torque, and acceleration. No major wrenching hassle either. Maybe put a bit more SPORT in sport/touring, eh?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Looks like a smoke and mirrors set up to me - I like to know a little about the "worthy causes" I donate to. It might as well be an infinite improbability drive for all the supporting information that goes with it. Why would you bother ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you empty your wallet by giving these guys your personal information, than you'll weigh less. It'll feel like you have gained some power.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I woulnd't know why it wouldn't work. In fact, it does the same thing as a PC, albeit without much user control: it richens the fuel mixture by fooling the ECU with altered signals. Given that engines run too lean these days for enviromental reasons, richening the fuel mixture will increase power and allow the engine to run a little cooler. At a price of $39, it's hardly an arm and a leg and can be tried without too much hassle.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
afterburn said:
I woulnd't know why it wouldn't work. In fact, it does the same thing as a PC, albeit without much user control: it richens the fuel mixture by fooling the ECU with altered signals. Given that engines run too lean these days for enviromental reasons, richening the fuel mixture will increase power and allow the engine to run a little cooler. At a price of $39, it's hardly an arm and a leg and can be tried without too much hassle.
But wholesale richening doesn't increase power. The PCIII maps from Dynojet, actually lean the mixture at WFO to achieve max HP.

Maps created on the dyno often richen the lower-midrange to smooth out the torque curve - as the factories have the low-midrange set very lean for low emissions, but then throw smogbusting out the window when you open the throttle all the way. I've been told their main reason for over-richening the top end, is to protect the engine during extreme use (keeping the EGT lower by slightly over-richening).

Simple fueling can't transform the FJR into a fire-breathing beast, and full exhaust can only do so much. IMO, if someone wanted a real, accurately-measured, no B.S. 15 RWHP gain out of an FJR, he'd have to break into the cases.

These chips sound like a real scam to me. :roll:

:)

·
Registered
531 Posts
LS is right on. Most guys only see a 3-5 HP gain from a fully optimized PCIII tuning link on a dyno. A 10% gain in HP will involve fuel, cam profile, and spark timing adjustments. I dont think anyone who values their motor will be advancing their timing with a $39 chip from ebay. That being said, I sure wish Dynojet would introduce the wideband O2 sensor enabled PCIII for the FJR. That would be the be all, end all since it would allow fine tuning of the closed-loop during cruise. Im itching to get one for my K1200LTC, but waiting for more user reviews before plunking down the cash.

·
Registered
949 Posts
ericw said:
I sure wish Dynojet would introduce the wideband O2 sensor enabled PCIII for the FJR. That would be the be all, end all since it would allow fine tuning of the closed-loop during cruise.
I'm no expert on the Power Commander (or anything else for that matter) but if you can get an accurate feedback / indication of the A/F ratio while underway with the Wideband sensor then isn't it possible to tweak up your own map to suit the desired performance. I know the "seat of the pants meter" is nowhere near the precision of a dyno test but if you have an upper and lower limit to the allowable A/F ratio shouldn't it be possible to do a run, then adjust the map incrementaly yourself until successive runs are up to the desired output / performance. Is this the intended use for the Wideband sensor setup or is it just really a display tool.

Told ya I wasn't an expert -- sh*t that makes tuning a bike easy just seems to take away the whole suffering / reward / zen thing about bikes that I have always taken for granted. Oh for the joys of a twitchy dellorto or worn Amal.

Bugger - I just realised I've hijacked the thread again -- sorry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts