FJR Owners Forum banner

1200 Super Tenere

19K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  fastfreddie 
#1 ·
I love my FJR.. Really don't have complaints. I know I have said the stock seat is fine, but after coming back form the beach on Thursday and hopping on the bike Friday Morning to ride 350 miles for a birthday dinner that Evening in WV and then hopping back on it to ride 400 miles home the next morning I was a tad sore. I looked at a Seat for sale on this forum and thought about it, but while I was in WV A strange thing happened. Honda/ Yamaha shop is less than a mile from my sons house so we ran over there and I started looking at the Super Tenere. Kinda Fell In love with it to be Honest. Seems it could tour about 80% as good as the FJR and off-road about 75% as good as the DR 650... Go from 2 dedicated bikes to one multipurpose bike. Cruise control, traction control, different Maps etc.. Seems like a solid deal. Weighs ALOT compared to some other big Adventure tourers but I think A good chunk of that is the Shaft drive. Weighs about the same as a BMW r1200GS and those things go everywhere. I had always anxiously awaited the Africa Twin to come out and then when it did i started reading owner reports of Fork issues and ECU issues, very Unlike Honda who usually has their stuff together before release so I decided to look elsewhere. I have to be honest, I think If the employment climate had been different, as in pre March of this year I would have taken funds out of the bank and ridden the Tenere Home Yesterday. IM still really thinking Hard on it though!

#2 ·
Ron I am sure you checked a few video reviews, but here is one more that pretty much sums it up (for me), and after a few test rides I have to agree on most points Ryan (FortNine) made in his review, with "Tenere = boring bike" being a main factor why I didn't buy one so far. (the close second factor is the weight: "don't buy an off-road bike you CAN'T pick up by yourself when it falls over")
Otherwise the bike has great qualities and Yamaha reliability and who knows, in the future I may consider to own one, but first, Yamaha would need to "built in some character and excitement" in Super Tenere. I test rode the GS1250 the same day as Tenere and all I can say is GS = :-D
[I am still on the fence about bmw's, (recalls, reliability, cost of ownership, price etc) even though some people I know that ride beemers advised me to; "stop reading all the bitching on various forums, and just buy one"]
Good luck with whatever you decide, IMHO "a DEDICATED tool for the task is always a better choice" Cheers

#3 ·
Damir, I have watched several reviews over the last 2 days and even did some poking around on ADVENTURERIDER,, Have been a member there for several years as well. Seems there is quite a following for the bike, and several folks who feel it is perfect while several folks feel it is boring. It seems that is common no matter the bike. Yea the weight is a negative, but the shaft drive a positive. there are only two bikes in that category with shaft drive other than an old Caponord. While If I went this route, nothing flips my switches like the Big KTMS and a 1090 or 1190 would be better suited over the 1290 Adventure.. However I have in the back of my head, 1200 miles to the UP of Michigan and then several days of dirt roads and back country and would just trust the Yamaha more in that situation. I also Like the GS, I ride with a gentleman from church who owns one and he is pretty fond of it. but the amount of money for that bike does not equal out in dollar amounts for performance gained. meaning the bike does not give you a 10K advantage over something like a much cheaper Vstrom 100 XT etc..
I dunno its all thoughts at this point, but my wheels are turning.

#4 ·
I hear you Ron, tough life decisions :-D ,
also don't forget the Triumph Tiger 1200 XRT and also here in Canada we had the Honda VFR1200 Crosstourer 6speed or DCT available for one year and it got discontinued this year, both bikes are shaft. I wish the VFR is still around, but no wonder it didn't sell, in 2018 I got a brand new '17FJR-ES for CAD $17,900 and VFR-DCT was more expensive, and as per some reviews it wasn't all that good "on-road and off-road" but who knows? Multistrada should have been shaft. KTM is a power house but again "chain" (i am all about shaft)... that Triumph seems like a good compromise between the say Tenere and GSA and according to some reviews it's closer to GS performance. It seems there is "no DO IT all well" bike currently available, even the famous GS is still 80% road bias.

I guess if you never owned a FUN bike (like FJR) then the Tenere might satisfy you, but once you set your bar high everything else is "meeh average", like you mentioned following your GS friend on your FJR is a hand full, with the Tenere your friend will be waiting for you all the time. It's always fun shopping for your next bike, isn't it?

#5 ·
I have thought a lot about the Tenere also and I have a DR 650 as well.

I try and use best judgement when out alone on the DR on backroads and less travelled in maintained roads. Picking up the DR is doable in most circumstances but can be a handful so to speak for this grey haired guy.
I know I would not have the fun on the Tenere as I do on the DR. I would simply not take the chance as I may be able to upright the Tenere in ideal conditions, I’m not so sure if conditions are less than ideal.

I do however like the thought of continuing on after the pavement ends as the Tenere would enable. ( Yes I’ve been down some roads and over some NH notches on the FJR that it was definitely out of its element, and always try to not get into those circumstance)

On the Boring part, I find it hard to embrace the roughness of the Tenere engine, compared to the smooth power of a 4cyl in-line.
I have been told, a good flash for the Tenere takes the boring away. It is substantially detuned in 1st,2nd,and 3rd below 5000rpm.getting this taken care of really wakes them up and you get what you would expect from 1200cc.

Having owned BMW , I won’t go there again, and preferring shaft leaves the Tenere the only choice for adventure bikes.

I am thinking that when I retire in 3 yrs (I hope) I will then go to one bike.
I would love to ride a Tenere for a 500-600km day to see if my back likes it, and I will have to do this before I make my decision.
Maybe in 3 years there will be a 900cc shaft adventure bike out. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: ronheater1970
#16 ·
Having owned BMW , I won't go there again, and preferring shaft leaves the Tenere the only choice for adventure bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I looked briefly at adventure bikes before settling on my choice for my non-ADV FJR replacement a month ago, and doesn't the Triumph Tiger 1200 have a shaft drive...?

#6 ·
One of my friends (well, acquaintance is probably more accurate) has a Super Tenere. He regularly logs 1000 mile days on it.

And what is wrong with "boring"? Camrys are boring but you need to beat them to death with a drop hammer.

#7 ·
After 6 FJR's in 16 years, I retired and moved to Tasmania. I soon found that Tasmania is not FJR friendly, it's like using a Ferrari as a rally car, wrong machine for the job. Tasmania is relatively small, mountainous, and under developed. Most of the roads are narrow, bumpy, twisty, and often wet and icy.

So I changed to a Super Tenere, I'm now on my second one. As mentioned above, I am not interested in any bike that has a chain drive. Also, at 70 years of age, I am not interested in serious dirt riding, I can't pick the thing up if I fall down. So, I stick to sealed or good dirt roads only, and I use road pattern tires, not knobbies.

Be careful when reading reports on the S10, there are Gen1 and Gen2 models, and also bikes with and without electronic suspension. My first S10 was a Gen2 without ES. The rear shock was a pig of a thing to adjust, the motor was quite noisy, and no heated grips, but otherwise good. My second S10 is a 2019 model with ES. It has all the same features as the latest FJR, except for electronic windscreen, you have to adjust that by hand. The motor is much quieter, I don't know what they have done to achieve this.

The S10 is obviously not as fast as the FJR, but make no mistake, it is still bloody fast, and has no trouble hauling a pillion passenger, which I do all the time. I do not feel the need to flash the ECU, or otherwise enhance the power.

As for handling and comfort, it is better than the FJR in nearly every way. I can get around these tricky Tasmanian roads faster than I could on the FJR. I do not feel the need for huge windscreens, extended handlebars, or modified seats. And the weather protection is better than the FJR.

Attachments

#8 ·
I think boring is relative, as coming off an R1 the FJR may seem Boring, Coming of a Pure dirt 450 xc KTM, the dr 650 would be boring..It's all in the comparison. I get bored at times on the FJR.

I guess in my mind the rider makes the ride. I know I could get of my KTM 300 and get on my sons XR 80 they had when they were younger and have a blast. Im a fairly good rider off road and the weight doesn't really scare me too much other than the picking it up if I needed too.

I have seen videos of folks single tracking the big 1200 and I really like the torquey feeling of twins over 4 cal bikes, even though they are traditionally a little rougher. I also considered bikes in the 800 class, like the ktm 790, and the Tiger 800 xca I just feel they would get a lil wound up at hours on the freeway.

So..
Can the bike run 90 MPH all day if needed.. Check.
Can it run Gravel and an occasional woody trail.. Check
Can it be a pack mule if need be.. Check
Will it have easily accessible parts and long maintenance intervals.. Check
Will it have cruise control .. Check.
Will it it have a wide network of dealer support if it needs it...Check

I think the Super Ten checks all the boxes.

I have had more than my share of KTMS and although I will always have a passion for them, those sometimes had issues with parts availability. Im thinking there are typically japanese bike shops a little more frequently encountered than the beemer and other european bike shops would be.

#9 ·
Ronheater1970:

Where do I begin . . . ? I have posted comments on the subject of the Super Tenere before so I’ll try to be brief.

I currently own both a 2013 Super T (169,000km) and a 2020 FJR (6,000km). This is my second FJR: previously I owned a 2006 (151,400km)).

Watch Ryan’s review, which in my opinion is very fair. Pay particular attention to the final minute and 14 seconds (from 10:50 on) and you’ll understand the beauty of this bike. Call it boring if you like, but in this case Boring = Good. It is also practical and fun, and I’d call it ugly, especially when compared to the FJR, but I’m allowed to say that because I bought one on purpose!

I have had a few issues with my Super T: A rear wheel spoke broke or unscrewed itself (24,000km) and damaged the wheel (replaced off-warranty by Yamaha) and swing-arm (cosmetic, not repaired), the FD leaked twice (37,000km and 126,000km), the steering-head bearings were replaced twice (111,200km and 137,000km (very strange)), a bearing in the front wheel broke (82,500km (also very strange)), and the compression rings stuck over the course of one winter’s storage (125,900km (very, very strange)).

Another “problem” with the Super T is that it requires 91 octane gas, which generally isn’t available in the remote areas I sometimes travel. Apparently the bike will run on 87 octane but it doesn’t run very well, though I guess it beats pushing the thing. I can’t confirm this as I’ve never tried 87 octane or pushed it other than out of the garage. If I’m heading to parts lesser known I always carry extra gas.

While the motor may only produce about 110hp and 85ft/lbs of torque it’s plenty because it produces a lot of its power well down in the rev range. The 270 degree crank is likely the reason as it makes this parallel twin perform very much like the woefully under-powered Harley V-twin. If you've ever ridden a big Harley you'll know what I mean - gutless but somehow they are surprisingly quick up to about 100km/h. The motor does sound like it’s grinding itself to death, but rest assured it’s not, and you may get some strange looks from folks when you start it up. No worries, the engine is bullet-proof.

I am on my 14th rear tire and 9th front tire. After burning up the street tires the bike came with (Metzler Tourance EXP) I have run Heidenau K60s almost exclusively: I did try 2 sets of Mitas E07. With the right tires, and with the power delivery attributes that Ryan speaks about, this bike is a joy to ride on a dirt road.

All 1200+ cc adventure bikes are big and heavy and I don't believe that any of them are suitable for full off-road riding except maybe by younger (I’m guessing that the average age of members on this Forum is north of 50) expert riders. I think the manufacturers know that the majority of these bikes will never even see a dirt road (check out the tires most come with as part-proof) let alone a gravel pit or sand dune. If you want a true adventure bike buy a 700 Tenere.

The bike truly is all-day comfortable: more upright seating position than the FJR and way-wider bars, and more distance between the seat and pegs, however some have complained of a forward slope to the seat. I too was bothered by the slope but only on occasion (weird). I trimmed the rear pads on the rider’s seat and I use an Airhawk or BeadRider: problem solved.

As further proof of the bike’s comfort and capabilities, I have completed the following IBA rides on the Super T: Saddlesore 1600K, Saddlesore 2000K, and Bun Burner 2500K, and I have ridden the bike as far north in the Province of Ontario as one can on permanent roads (meaning, not ice-roads), which meant 250km of gravel road. The road had since been extended about another 60km so I guess I’ll have to ride it again to keep my bragging rights.

As far as the Super T’s agility and handling are concerned, I don’t have a problem with either. In fact, maybe it’s my familiarity with the bike but currently I may be faster on the FJR but I’m quicker on the Super T, and that makes it more fun to ride than the FJR on the back roads and an absolute blast to ride on dirt roads, where no FJR should ever tread.

Lastly, let me quote Ryan’s final words on the Super T: “The Tenere is just easy, easy, easy and when you run something for 24 hours straight . . . well, easy is what you want.”

Haynes

#13 ·
Ronheater1970:

Where do I begin . . . ? I have posted comments on the subject of the Super Tenere before so I'll try to be brief.

I currently own both a 2013 Super T (169,000km) and a 2020 FJR (6,000km). This is my second FJR: previously I owned a 2006 (151,400km)).

Watch Ryan's review, which in my opinion is very fair. Pay particular attention to the final minute and 14 seconds (from 10:50 on) and you'll understand the beauty of this bike. Call it boring if you like, but in this case Boring = Good. It is also practical and fun, and I'd call it ugly, especially when compared to the FJR, but I'm allowed to say that because I bought one on purpose!

I have had a few issues with my Super T: A rear wheel spoke broke or unscrewed itself (24,000km) and damaged the wheel (replaced off-warranty by Yamaha) and swing-arm (cosmetic, not repaired), the FD leaked twice (37,000km and 126,000km), the steering-head bearings were replaced twice (111,200km and 137,000km (very strange)), a bearing in the front wheel broke (82,500km (also very strange)), and the compression rings stuck over the course of one winter's storage (125,900km (very, very strange)).

Another "problem" with the Super T is that it requires 91 octane gas, which generally isn't available in the remote areas I sometimes travel. Apparently the bike will run on 87 octane but it doesn't run very well, though I guess it beats pushing the thing. I can't confirm this as I've never tried 87 octane or pushed it other than out of the garage. If I'm heading to parts lesser known I always carry extra gas.

While the motor may only produce about 110hp and 85ft/lbs of torque it's plenty because it produces a lot of its power well down in the rev range. The 270 degree crank is likely the reason as it makes this parallel twin perform very much like the woefully under-powered Harley V-twin. If you've ever ridden a big Harley you'll know what I mean - gutless but somehow they are surprisingly quick up to about 100km/h. The motor does sound like it's grinding itself to death, but rest assured it's not, and you may get some strange looks from folks when you start it up. No worries, the engine is bullet-proof.

I am on my 14th rear tire and 9th front tire. After burning up the street tires the bike came with (Metzler Tourance EXP) I have run Heidenau K60s almost exclusively: I did try 2 sets of Mitas E07. With the right tires, and with the power delivery attributes that Ryan speaks about, this bike is a joy to ride on a dirt road.

All 1200+ cc adventure bikes are big and heavy and I don't believe that any of them are suitable for full off-road riding except maybe by younger (I'm guessing that the average age of members on this Forum is north of 50) expert riders. I think the manufacturers know that the majority of these bikes will never even see a dirt road (check out the tires most come with as part-proof) let alone a gravel pit or sand dune. If you want a true adventure bike buy a 700 Tenere.

The bike truly is all-day comfortable: more upright seating position than the FJR and way-wider bars, and more distance between the seat and pegs, however some have complained of a forward slope to the seat. I too was bothered by the slope but only on occasion (weird). I trimmed the rear pads on the rider's seat and I use an Airhawk or BeadRider: problem solved.

As further proof of the bike's comfort and capabilities, I have completed the following IBA rides on the Super T: Saddlesore 1600K, Saddlesore 2000K, and Bun Burner 2500K, and I have ridden the bike as far north in the Province of Ontario as one can on permanent roads (meaning, not ice-roads), which meant 250km of gravel road. The road had since been extended about another 60km so I guess I'll have to ride it again to keep my bragging rights.

As far as the Super T's agility and handling are concerned, I don't have a problem with either. In fact, maybe it's my familiarity with the bike but currently I may be faster on the FJR but I'm quicker on the Super T, and that makes it more fun to ride than the FJR on the back roads and an absolute blast to ride on dirt roads, where no FJR should ever tread.

Lastly, let me quote Ryan's final words on the Super T: "The Tenere is just easy, easy, easy and when you run something for 24 hours straight . . . well, easy is what you want."

Haynes
You bring up Good points, especially about the Octane rating as I did not know that. However My Buell Uly needed premium or it sounded like marbles were rolling around inside anytime you got under a load and it was warm out. I do not conisder that a deal breaker, but it is worth noting.

I also dont think only 110 HP is necessarily boring, as for its intened purpose it should be plenty.. It has also been noted several times across the web that a simple 250 dollars allows the stock ecu to be flashed and gain something like 19 Ponies from what I am reading. Yamaha has them in there and maybe they are just waiting for a redesign to unleash them or something, I dunno.

I am most comftorable on a "dirt bike feeling " motorcycle since thats where my history lay... It is natural to me.

#10 ·
I have owned both an FJR and Super Tenere and while they are different I genuinely loved both. Please keep in mind that my comments come from the perspective of a sport bike junky that is currently riding a Ducati Multistrada.

The Super Tenere is a great bike. It can be somewhat underwhelming but it is also the bike I would choose to ride through a nuclear wasteland. I can honestly say mile for mile and hour for hour it is one of the bikes I enjoy most. Mine was a ‘14ES and I would not recommend going with the base model or older bikes, the ‘14+ ES is that much better in performance and value. So here’s the thing, leave a light beside a Camry and ride like you’re on an FJR and the Camry will leave you for dead, leave like you robbed a bank and you’re gone. I had mine in FL one winter and my riding buddies all ride GSs and S1000XRs and generally faster bikes. After a week of frustration I started riding the Super Tenere like I stole it. Surprise surprise I could run with or outrun everybody. I could easily carry a ton of corner speed not possible on other bikes. It’s not FJR fast but it will go just fine. After a winter of thrashing the bike it used 0 oil, had no maintenance issues and if anything ran better than it did to start. The power is more street usable than my Multistrada. I think it has so much low end grunt that people drive it like a farm tractor and never see what the bike can do. I do recommend a reflash, it doesn’t make the bike any faster but makes it more responsive to ride. For some reason from the factory Yamaha neutered first and second gear so full twist of the throttle only equals 60% throttle at the motor.
As far as comfort the bike is first rate. IMO the perfect amount of wind protection, the bags are great, the factory seat is terrible but that is both common to lots of bikes and easy to fix.
Best part if you search a bit there are new leftovers out there that can be had for a pretty good deal. It is one of the few bikes I would recommend.

#14 ·
I have owned both an FJR and Super Tenere and while they are different I genuinely loved both. Please keep in mind that my comments come from the perspective of a sport bike junky that is currently riding a Ducati Multistrada.

The Super Tenere is a great bike. It can be somewhat underwhelming but it is also the bike I would choose to ride through a nuclear wasteland. I can honestly say mile for mile and hour for hour it is one of the bikes I enjoy most. Mine was a '14ES and I would not recommend going with the base model or older bikes, the '14+ ES is that much better in performance and value. So here's the thing, leave a light beside a Camry and ride like you're on an FJR and the Camry will leave you for dead, leave like you robbed a bank and you're gone. I had mine in FL one winter and my riding buddies all ride GSs and S1000XRs and generally faster bikes. After a week of frustration I started riding the Super Tenere like I stole it. Surprise surprise I could run with or outrun everybody. I could easily carry a ton of corner speed not possible on other bikes. It's not FJR fast but it will go just fine. After a winter of thrashing the bike it used 0 oil, had no maintenance issues and if anything ran better than it did to start. The power is more street usable than my Multistrada. I think it has so much low end grunt that people drive it like a farm tractor and never see what the bike can do. I do recommend a reflash, it doesn't make the bike any faster but makes it more responsive to ride. For some reason from the factory Yamaha neutered first and second gear so full twist of the throttle only equals 60% throttle at the motor.
As far as comfort the bike is first rate. IMO the perfect amount of wind protection, the bags are great, the factory seat is terrible but that is both common to lots of bikes and easy to fix.
Best part if you search a bit there are new leftovers out there that can be had for a pretty good deal. It is one of the few bikes I would recommend.
Donk, I am looking at a 14 model with 9K on it. It does not have the electric suspension however. It has the Factory Panniers installed, Crash Bars, Auxillary PIAA Lights, Mean looking skidplate, aftermarket windscreen and seat. It really is a steal im afraid to mention price as someone here may snatch it..L It is the service managers motorcycle at the dealership there, which coicindentally is the shop my Mom got me my IT 200 from when I was 14, so the shop has been around a while!

#17 ·
If I win the lottery or have a rich uncle pass, I’ll buy a late model used Tenere to figure out what I think. I can’t commit to one at the expense of losing my primary, which is 100% FJR. Given that I don’t really off-road except for gravel, if I were to give up on rockets, it’d more likely be for a land yacht than an overgrown enduro.

...But I suspect the Tenere ergos and vantage point would be pretty awesome. Really, only having even worse wind protection than the FJR is the only thing that’s kept me safe so far.

#20 ·
...But I suspect the Tenere ergos and vantage point would be pretty awesome. Really, only having even worse wind protection than the FJR is the only thing that's kept me safe so far.
Bill they're both great bikes but a little bit like comparing steak to lobster ( the real lobster not the things they pass off for lobster in FL). The wind protection isn't worse it's just different. Yamaha makes a set of wind deflectors that attaches beside the dash. With those on the bike it's a nice pocket of smooth quiet air to ride in. Couldn't ask for better. In fact I never bothered with the larger touring screen on mine because it was so nice with the stock screen and side deflectors. just my opinion.

#22 ·
A friend of mine brought his S10 on a month-long 8000 mile trip we went on, he had no problem keeping up in the twisties, etc. It is a more sit-up style of course, but he had the deflectors and I think stock seat. 600 lbs. still. I rode a couple and they were OK, it's a twin, so just half an inline 4 kinda thing. I prefer a four, can't see myself wanting an S10. Much like a V-Strom, you won't go true dual-sporting, just too heavy. One of the best dual sports out there is a DR650 for that stuff, and much cheaper too.
I can't see why one would want an S10 and an FJR in the stable, I'd keep the FJR over the S10 personally.

#23 ·
Yea I like My DR 650, But I dont like it on 5 hour rides. Yes the Super T is Heavy but Its suprising what folks do on these big heavy bikes, lots of vids of folks singletracking them through the mountains etc..I think the big hold up would be the shaft drive and inability to regear for more offroad friendliness.

For me, it would be the ability to comfotorably ride 6-10 hours away, travel down some jeep trails, find a fishing or camping spot and enjoy a weekend or something.
The DR will do that but Ill need to invest in better wind protection and really the stock suspension needs reworked once putting luggage on it, actually it needs reworked for anything over a snails pace off road. I like the Strom 1000 as well, its 70 lbs lighter I believe, but I dont like the sound of issues with the Clutch basket.

#24 ·
I have had a Tenere for about 6 years now and I would completely recommend it for anyone looking for a tough bike capable of grinding up a steep, loose gravel double-track fire road here in CO as well as riding from here to the Trans-Labrador highway, the Dalton, or the Dempster - all of which mine has done without a single mechanical problem (flats, etc. oh yes..). I have run it on anywhere from 85 octane to 95 octane and never really noticed a difference. Not as much "oomph" in the lower octane, but it will run on it no problem.

The concern about riding such a heavy bike on dirt roads would go for any bike: if you are not comfortable riding in a situation where you might have to have help to get yourself out of it, then you probably should not be there on that bike. I see that too often here in CO with visitors from other states. After all these miles I would not take the Tenere any more in some of the places that I have seen people take these big adventure bikes, they are just not as fun as riding a much lighter bike. However, if you want to do a cross-country rides, IBA rides as well as hit the 10's of thousands of miles of dirt roads all over the western US, it is a hard to beat choice.

But to be honest (and why I am on an FJR owner's site): I am looking at an FJR as a second ride to try and coax my wife to go with me on some trips, so trying to soak up some knowledge...

#29 ·
I had three FJRs (05,06,09) and decided to buy a new 2016 ES ST just for a change. I travelled all over Europe on both bikes, I don't do forest trails but did most of the alpine passes and hundreds of hairpin bends. I mostly ride one up.

In my opinion, the ST is an excellent touring bike - lighter, more upright, more nimble, more roomy and more economical than the FJR. It will go places where the FJR could not. I did the 'level the seat' mod, and fitted handlebar riser blocks and this hugely improved the bike for me. The cruise and electronic suspension were great additions. The Gen 2 bike is a better performer than the Gen 1 , leave it in S mode, give it loads of throttle and it will keep up with almost anything.

I sold it three months ago and bought a 2019 FJR. The engine on the ST has to be the most rattly engine I have ever come across. When under way and at speed it is not noticeable, but on startup and tickover especially when cold it is like a tractor. In fact if some of my old 1970 Yams sounded like that, I would be tearing the engine down. However this is normal for the ST and they are utterly unburstable with huge mileages common.

Many FJR owners move over to the ST. Apart from the agricultural engine compared with the turbine of the FJR, the Super Tenere is a great all round bike.

As neither The FJR or the Super Tenere meet Euro 5 emissions they cannot be sold in Europe after December 31st 2020 - that is why I decided to back to the FJR before they are finished.

#30 ·
I sold it three months ago and bought a 2019 FJR. The engine on the ST has to be the most rattly engine I have ever come across. When under way and at speed it is not noticeable, but on startup and tickover especially when cold it is like a tractor. In fact if some of my old 1970 Yams sounded like that, I would be tearing the engine down. However this is normal for the ST and they are utterly unburstable with huge mileages common.
Best description I've seen...

"Refinement comparable to Soviet-era agricultural equipment".

#31 ·
Hi There. Just last year I went in the other direction. I traded my much loved 2014 Super Tenere ES for a 2018 FJR ES. I had always liked the looks of the FJR an wanted a bike that sat a little lower and had more power on tap. After a year with the FJR as much as I love it I do miss my Super T. The riding ergonomics on the adventure bike were less cramped. My 1st couple years with the ST I rode on the requisite TKC 80's and did not like how the bike felt in the corners on the blacktop but it was a joy to stand on the pegs and navigate the dirt roads or stand and releve a achy butt. I then fitted a set of full street Pirelli Angel GT tires to the bike and boy it waz a different machine. On road performance improved drastically. It does carry its weight higher than the FJR and it is a beast to pick up off its side (dont ask!) but once underway it will put a smile on your face. Toggle it into Sport Mode and start smiling. If my budget allowed 2 bikes I would get another in a heartbeat but or now it is FJR fun only. As a side note the weight is also high in the FJR and is isn't any easier than the ST to push around the garage. Either way you get Yamaha reliability and dealer network. Ride what you love. Take Care.

#32 ·
Resurrecting an old thread:
As of July /22 I now own a 2020 Super T.(ES) I have parked the FJR (removed insurance since our rates are so outrageously high in Ontario and my company does not allow just keeping fire and theft in an attempt to force you to keep full insurance, but that's for another day). I will keep FJR till spring and decide which one(s) stay then.
I still have the DR 650 as well.
I have accumulated about 2500km on the ST and must say the DR is sitting also as the ST is well capable of everything I was using the DR for. It is even better of gas than the DR in every situation except 80mph stuff and DR is not up to that for long. I can easily run low 60's imp mpg, hand calculated if running as I use DR, backroad exploring.

Things of note: The ST is cooler (engine heat , etc )than the FJR. It has the OEM touring screen and deflectors and the wind noise and noise in general is considerably better than FJR.
It is not as fast as FJR but it somehow seems quicker and I am more likely to get a speeding ticket because you can easily be going faster than you think you are.
ST rides 100% better on our pothole ridden secondary roads.
The seat sucks (I think its the same sandpaper cover causing same discomfort as stock seat did on FJR).
I have already made appt to dynotune and flash ECU but that won't happen until Sept.
: Abrupt throttle is terrible (fuel cut related) and exacerbated by the strong compression braking on the ST. It doesn't need more total HP, it just needs better , smoother application of what it has as well as unneutered power in first 3 gears.
It is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden standing up. Pretty amazing..
It tracks down a loose gravel rode like on rails even with street oriented tires.
My wife is actually liking it better than the FJR even though she was very sure it was a mistake .

I would still take the FJR for smooth high speed stuff , but for our roads the ST is truly a breath of fresh air.
Just some random thoughts 2500 km in.

Reactions: fjrlee
#33 ·
If money isnt a thing the BWM GSA is hands down a better all around weapon for fire roads and tarmac. Ive done thousands of miles on Kawasaki 650. Great little lightweight bike loves the dirt hates the tarmac. Love cost, easy to maintain and buy parts anywhere in the world.

The Super Tenere is a pig and does nothing well except is half the price of the BMW. I hated it. DIdnt last long. I bit the bullet and bought the BWM1200 GSA and there wasnt one day I didnt love the bike. Well, fully loaded water crossing and single track dirt, mud days it was a handful bur anyone planning on fireroads and long hauls its a wonderful piece of equipment

Let ride

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.