FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first few times I removed the side bags, I thought I was going to snap something off (the handle perhaps), when disengaging the mechanism that keeps the bag attached to the frame. When not mounted on the bike, the vertical "bar" that engages the frame slides very smoothly, so I don't think it's in the bag's mechanism. There seems to be something rubbing or binding once it's egaged to the frame.

Has anyone else had this issue? It may not be a real issue, except that I'm extremely nervous exerting that much pressure on plastic parts. I've considered lubricating the vertical locking bar with something like soap.

Thanks in advance!

Ron

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I believe the dealer was provided a shim kit in the bag boxes and should have used that to properly align your bags. The old bike was like that. The 06 uses a slightly different bottom mount than the earlier models but I bet it just needs proper alignment. Ask your dealer.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
The vertical bar slides up into a slot in the frame. In that slot, there is a rubber block which is compressed by the vertical bar. I think this is done to prevent rattles, and take up any slack in the mechanism. I'm sure this rubber block will deform with time, and it will become easier to operate the mechanism.

There were several reports of older bikes losing panniers while riding, and I think the rubber block was added to prevent this. I would leave it alone if I were you, my mechanism is also very stiff to operate, but I don't think it will break.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think it is intended to operate that way. Don't baby it. It will snap on and off - just move the handle with some authority and you will see it will snap on and off without any trouble. The slower you move the handle, the more difficult it will seem. At least this has been my experience.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Is it just me or have others found this also.

When I mount my panniers they don't seem to fit well INTO the top slots. To me it appears they don't go far enough into the top slots. When they lock, they seem to be secure, but do not go any further down into those slots.

Anyone else see it this way?

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
War Machine said:
To me it appears they don't go far enough into the top slots.
Then you should beat on it with a large, perhaps very large, hammer until it looks right to you. :twisted:

It doesn't seem to go down in there as far as the earlier models but I ain't skeered.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had the same problem with my FJR06 side bags and also thought something would break when putting the cases on.

Within a few days though things started to loosen up and now things are still a bit stiff but workable.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The rubber blocks that it slots into at the base can be turned around. If you look at them closely you'll find that one side is slightly thinner than the other and if you turn them around your bags may sit easier and be smoother when removing, mine did and they are fine now.

Hope it helps,

Nova :wink:

·
Registered
37 Posts
novawing said:
The rubber blocks that it slots into at the base can be turned around. If you look at them closely you'll find that one side is slightly thinner than the other and if you turn them around your bags may sit easier and be smoother when removing, mine did and they are fine now.

Hope it helps,

Novawing,

Which way did you find it to work the best? The thicker side facing the wheel or the thicker side facing away from the wheel?

·
Registered
949 Posts
novawing said:

Hope it helps,

Fine detective work Sir Novawing.

·
Registered
219 Posts
On my 06 the thicker side facing away from the wheel holds them in place best. But, try both way's around just incase the alignment is slightly different on your panniers. It sorted attachment, its much better now.

Good luck,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts