FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of us in Australia. I spoke to BikeBiz at Parramatta today. They delivered the first of the aussie 06' models a week ago and currently have a demo on the floor. I'm off to see it this weekend

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Bought mine today, picking it up tomorrow. Gold one, YIPPEE. :D

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
I put a few fingerprints on a '06 at ProYamaha in Springwood/Slacks Creek today. Had a sold sticker on it with someones name on it, so I made sure the fingerprints were NOT on the paintwork. Like the Gold colour, but I can see already it's not as fast as black.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Bernie, Congratulations on the new bike. Better take a sleeping pill tonight Were your dealers doing deals at this early stage, or sticking to list price. Is this your first FJR or are you coming off an earlier model??

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Only until it's run in David, then with the lower diff ratio, I will still be accelerating when yours has run out of revs.

Spent all day today unbolting all the farkles off the old one, what a job, and I still haven't got them all. I'm going to leave the fork brace on, because I cut the old stone guards off, and the rad guard, because it wont fit on the new bike, and the K&N filter, because it is too old now. Unfortunately, I may have to make a new tow hitch because I believe the rear swing arm is longer on the new bike, and the tyre will probably foul the hitch, damn. Also, I don't know if my top box rack will fit on the new bike, I will see tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Framer, this will be my third FJR, I was waiting at the dealers door when they first came out in 01, and I've been riding them ever since.

I bought the new one at list price, but they gave me quite a good deal on my old bike, which is an 03 with 65,000Km on it. I'm getting it for 12 grand change over, out the door.

I'm still amazed how casual the dealers are. They didn't even listen to the engine when I took my old one in. The dealer just took one walk around the bike, saw it was nice and clean, and made his offer, deal done. :shock:

·
Registered
307 Posts
I went into my local yamaha dealer just before easter and he doesn't even have the new model on the floor. He had the previous model which he was prepared to part with for $20000.00 but there doesn't seem much point in that.
He quoted me $24500 for the new model, is that the price everywhere else?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lets hope that none of our American friends read this and see our local price of $24,500 on the road. They will all die of shock.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Framer said:
Lets hope that none of our American friends read this and see our local price of $24,500 on the road. They will all die of shock.
Theres definitely a respectable profit margin there for the Oz dealers.For a comparative ball park figure try $AU24500 x .745 (the current exchange rate) - comes out @ $US18252. I know there will be some differences due to tax variations / import duty but theres a $ in it for them. Trade your bike in on a new model and get screwed twice. Ah shit - its only money.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Bernie, congrats on the new ride. Hope it brings you many k's of fun and smiles.

The tow hitch will probably be OK length-wise, as the swing arm is not much longer, but the passenger footrest hangers and the exhaust attachments are different, and this would probably be the bigger issue.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Well, I've got it, only ridden it from the dealer to home so far, and I spent the rest of the afternoon fiddling with it. The temperature was +30C and I didn't feel any heat on my legs at all during the ride, great.

Adjusted the handlebars as far back as possible, quite difficult to do and not very much adjustment range. My Lenk adaptors wont work.

Fitted my GPS and power cord, battery is in the same place but much easier to access. Power outlet in the glove box isn't going to be much use.

Saddle in the low position is about the same height as the old bike. Both saddles are bigger and more comfortable than the old bike. Sheepskins wont fit.

Givi top box rack wont fit, damn. May try fitting the Givi mounting plate directly to the existing carrier.

Front fender extender will fit, I will mount that ASAP to stop damage to the chin fairing.

BMW hand guards will fit, similar setup.

Radiator does have a plastic guard in front of it, at last.

Haven't tried the tow hitch yet.

Digital instrument display has a lot more information on it, but it is quite difficult to operate, and could prove quite distracting when you are riding.

With the lower diff gear ratio, the engine revs are lower, which caused me to ride faster. It was bloody difficult to keep to the speed limits on the way home.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Great stuff - happy farkling.

Bernie said:
With the lower diff gear ratio, the engine revs are lower, which caused me to ride faster. It was bloody difficult to keep to the speed limits on the way home.
Now that would be a worry, seeing as I always stick to the limits :crylarf:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello Bernie. its a good thing you are in W.A. and not NSW this weekend. Because of the Anzac day Holiday, we have double points applying from midnight thursday right through until midnight on Tuesday. Not what you want when you have a brand new FJR to try out and run in. Enjoy it mate. It sounds great.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
By the way, my out the door price, with 12 months rego, was $23990.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, well I saw the bike on Saturday. They (BikeBiz) had two bikes, a gold one for sale, and a silver blue on as a demo. I had really limited time, there was no way I was going to ride one, that is until they asked me if I'd like to. What could I say....YES! After the first couple of minutes getting used to the slightly earlier clutch take up, it really felt pretty much just like my 03' model. A couple of thing I noticed - no hot air on the legs, it even felt a bit cool, nice for a change. When you bang down hard on the back brake it does not start the back wheel hopping and also it did not seem to affect the front end. The gear indicator is nice, I didnt have time to work out the other functions on the dash. One thing I really like is much, much greater storage capacity under the seat. For me it means I can leave the ventura sports bag that normally hold my wet weather gear at home, as I could put it all under the seat with room to spare. I should point out, I only put on the panniers and topbox when I am going on a decent sort of a trip. The power obviously feels the same ( a bit tight with only 28 klm's on the bike) the brakes feel stronger. Handling on my small 20 Klm ride feels about the same. My feeling is the dashboard is a bit harder to read then my 03' model.
My feeling is that if the dealers made it attractive for me to change over, then I would do so. If not, then I will happily stay with my current bike a bit longer.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I had my first long ride on my new bike today, and I also had a bit of trouble with the clutch. I have reasonably large hands, I always have to buy size XL gloves, but I have to adjust the clutch and brake levers to the closest position before I am comfortable with them. At the widest position, you would need hands like an Orang-utan to operate the levers.

However, with the clutch lever at the closest position, I had to pull the lever hard against the bar before the clutch fully disengaged. This is much further than my first two FJR's. Because of this, on one occasion I stalled the bike as I pulled out into a busy intersection, and very nearly fell down in front of a car. I hope the clutch operation improves with use. :shock:

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Bernie said:
I hope the clutch operation improves with use.
Clutch operator should as well. I think the clutch engagement is perfect. Starts gradually grabbing early and has a nice long engagement span.

Mr. Orangutan

·
Registered
12 Posts
ok stuffing round on the trading post site.got a quote from down south (vic) heres the email i got back unregisterd..MOTO YAMAHA wrote:
>

>> >Hi Ben
>> >Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
>> >FJR1300AV 2006 NEW MODEL is $22,999.00.
>> >We will do one for a Special price of $21.199.00 to your Door.
>> >
>> >You can contact me on 03 9758 0911
>> >And I well only be too happy to help you with all your inquiries.
>> >Thank you
>> >Eddie
>> >Moto Yamaha
>> >881 Burwood Hwy
>> >Ferntree Gully
>> >Victoria 3156 theese guys seem willing to deal gunna print out and take to the local dealer...

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Just got back from the State of Origin - good fun - see that thread later this evening.

Ben, I will be in Melbourne this coming weekend - I can pick it up for you, do the break-in, and get it to you nicely loosened up (with about 5,000k's on the clock) by mid May. How does that sound :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
It's been raining most of the day here in Perth, so I did some more farkling. Mounted my Geelong Carbon Craft front fender extender, and it fits perfectly. The 06 fender is longer than the 03 fender, so, with the extender, only the bottom inch of the chin fairing will be exposed to sand blasting from the front tyre.

Also fitted my BMW hand guards and Vista Cruise throttle lock, no problems there. Then I went under the tank to disconnect one of the throttle return springs. Yamaha have gone to a lot of trouble under there, the whole setup is much tidier. Also there is a large heat shield over the top of the motor. This stops heat getting to the tank and allows cool air to pass between the shield and the bottom of the tank, very nice. The shield is fairly flexible, and it is not too much drama to remove and replace it.

I disconnected the spring which is located on the third throttle body, between the second and third bodies. The throttle action is now beautifully light with just enough return pressure. Note, if anyone else wants to do this, it would be extremely difficult to put this spring back on if you should change your mind. I have heard of other guys hooking up the spring with a piece of wire and tying it to some object so that you can reconnect it, but I have no intention of reconnecting, so I didn't bother.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts