FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just coming to the end of the break-in period for my 06 (A model) and have one negative on the transmission - wondering if you guys can tell me whether it's the bike or the rider...

I've done a few hard accelerations off the line and have encountered a disturbing situation several where I cannot upshift.

What happens is this. I'm accelerating hard in 2nd, and start to shift to third - I'm at around 7K RPM. So, I adjust throttle and bring the clutch in as you'd expect, and then try to move the shift lever up to 3rd.

Nothing happens. The shift lever doesn't move. Feels like I'm in 5th trying to find a non-existent 6th. I hit the shift lever hard again with my foot but still nothing. So, I let the clutch out, apply gas again (bike is still revving hard) and then try to shift again (adjust gas, pull in clutch etc. etc.) and get the same result.

First time this happened I immediately thought I'd broke the thing.

Only after reducing speed and trying to shift a 3rd time did it work.

Of the 10 or so times I've tried a hard acceleration like this, it's happend 3 or 4 times I think. I'm positive that I'm not accidentally hitting the shift lever before the clutch is in (causing a mis-shift) but then again, can't think why else this would be happening.

I'm bringing my bike in for it's first service and will get my dealer to look at it, but just wondering if anyone else has seen a similar issue?

·
Registered
192 Posts
06 misshifting

You're keeping pressure on the shifter and it's not allowing the transmission to catch the next gear. Make sure you release the shifter completely before going to the next gear, in other words make sure your boot disconnects from the shifter. Many of us have had the same thing happen.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
+1

It's also been reported after buying a new pair of boots.

The shift lever is VERY simple to re-position, if need-be.

:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it's new bike and new boots so the problem is most likely between the handle bars and the seat. :oops:

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just received my 06 a few days ago (must have been on a slow boat). I found the shifting to be good but different than my other bikes. With the shoes I wear which are just hiking boots I think I will have to adjust the lever to suit them. I think it will take a couple of weeks to get fully comfortable with the shifting and seating position. The first gear position seems to not go down the same distance as from 3rd to 2nd. I guess this is good because you definitely know you are in first gear.
I really like the bike so far. It is an enormous a leap forward from my other bikes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
+2 on the upward pressure. Adjust (if needed) the linkage for your boot size and foot position. you have to let the lever back down far enough to ratchet to the next gear.

If you run into a problem with "missing" shifts, especially between 1-2, try the R-1 shift linkage. I used to have a missed shift quite often because I was trying to shift quick and not raising my foot enough. I installed the R-1 shift linkage and haven't missed one since. Do a search for R-1 mod and you should find detials, including the P/N for the linkage. It's only 1 part and takes about 5 minutes to install. Gives the FJR a VERY crisp shift feel.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I found Oxtar boots to be particulary high in the toe & cause this problem when new; not a critisism of Oxtar, I wouldnt wear anything else but never had the problem until my first pair of Oxtars a few years ago.

·
Registered
353 Posts
This is not a new problem , it's happend to others with older bikes. It did to me when got my 03.
To me the gear shift leaver is an odd angle. It's like the up ward foot movement when shifting up does not always try to rotate the the gear shift drive. If you look at it , it's as if the presure is like pushing the leaver towards the centre. It's the wrong shape in my opinion. Hope this makes sense. You can of course adjust the leaver position. Sure some others have done this , to cure this problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same thing happen to me occasionally when downshifting. I am tall, and with my knees farther forward this causes my toes to point downward more than most riders'. When I downshift, sometimes I don't raise my toe enough after clicking down, and so when I click down again nothing happens. I have to really make sure I lift my toe all the way up after the downshift to let it engage for the next downshift.

I'm getting a new custom seat with a little more height; I suspect that this will at least partially alleviate the problem. Not a big deal in any case, though.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
You don't want to adjust the lever to the correct position for you? :?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Liquid, how do I adjust the shift lever? Is it the R1 mod mentioned earlier in this thread? If not, can you point me in the right direction?

My perspective on this is that it always takes a bit of time to get comfortable with a new machine and since I only have 10-15 hours on the bike so far I'm not quite there yet.

That being said, I have never experienced mis-shifting quite like this in all my years of riding (street for 13+ years plus lotsa dirt before that).

So, I'm prepared to make a mod if it doesn't go away in time, but am hoping that more time and a few practice runs under hard acceleration with the bike will solve it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The long shift rod that connects the shift lever to the gearbox -

undo both locknuts either end of the rod
turn the shift rod - you will see the lever moving up/down
move it up to give your boot some more clearance
tighten the locknuts
the maximun limits of movement are marked on the footrest assembly, two lines, with a marker line on the lever as well

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had a problem today. I twisted the throttle a little and started hitting the gears. When I hit 4th I noticed the gear indicator was blank. By the time I noticed it was time to hit 5th (6000 rpm). The shift felt good but when the clutch came out the gear indicator said 4th and I was still in 4th!! The engine didn't like that so I quickly shifted again. I had an earlier post on clunky shifting and I still have it.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
What Rabbit said. And it takes about one minute.

I never felt any need to do the R1 shift mod. Comparing my R1s to my FJRs, the difference in shifting smoothness never showed up on radar, whatsoever.

I still don't think anyone's verified a true clunky-shifting FJR, just improperly adjusted levers. In the vast world of motorcycles, FJR trannys are still in the top millimeter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.