FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told by my dealer that Yamaha has decided the only way to resolve the instant mpg bug-fix on the 06's is to replace the complete instument assembly, thay were set in japan with the max mpg at 17 instead of 99.9, and cannot be re-set in any way so a complete replace is the only way ( gonna cost-em ) mine are on their way and will be fitted next week, like me i suspect most we not that bothered, but to be fair it should be right on a bike this much money, just thought i'd share the news so other 06 owners have a chance to get this resolved quicker if they have "lets wait and see" dealers.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Wow, hope the outfit that blew the programming eats the cost. I guess whoever signed off on the defective package at Yamaha got the sack. And why 17? Seems an unlikely error as opposed to say, 9.99.

So will your total mileage go back to 0 now with the new panel?

Now then, once my instant mpg is fixed, what's its purpose? Is it to help you when the reserve odometer has started and you're trying to use the last drop of fuel?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
So you can be cost effective riding your bike if you want to be

Would be handy cruising (for example) and finding your best rpm to fuel consumption in fifth gear.

As I said, if you want to..............

(but how many will)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I asked about the mileage and if it can be programmed / transferred in some way and it cannot be done and all clocks will go back to zero miles,

·
Registered
949 Posts
alan sh said:
oh, what a shame :lol:
I know a number of people have been seriously pissed off by Yamaha's apparently poor customer service in the past but a recall and refit of this magnitude is, I think, likely to cause some seriously negative feeling towards the FJR by the Yamaha management. I know it's just "overflow" from the arse kicking that will be handed out to those responsible but - "guilt by association" / bugger this project, its nothing but trouble - is a contagious management issue with the potential for an unpleasant ripple effect.

Apart from the legal issues of non delivery of "contracted" services the common sense approach would be to say " the function doesn't work, we're sorry - it was a useless function anyway and shouldn't have been included - here's a free service voucher if you are fine with that. We will replace it if you want to make a big deal about it - we expect the change over to require a full day's downtime for the bike"

The Japanese have a term for useless gifts / things - an instantaneous burn rate is about as useful as a hip pocket in thermal underwear.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Two points ---

The instant mpg is just a distraction IMHO. It will only be a matter of time before soemone smacks into the line of stopped cars in front of them while they were try to optimize their mpg in 5ht gear. :crylarf:

More important point - Yamaha should provide a $200 customer credit as a good will gesture for those that will forgo the replacement instrument cluster.

OK - one more point - If they are going to replace the instrument cluster, it would be nice if they changed the shiny silver paint scheme on the rim and replaced it with a flat black that doesn't reflect the sun light - serious safety issue.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
joecbr1100 said:
It will only be a matter of time before soemone smacks into the line of stopped cars in front of them while they were try to optimize their mpg in 5ht gear.
Interesting point.

The Ducati has this feature and it IS completely stupid. Pick a number between 4 and 99, draw little hash marks on the throttle grip, and you'll have the same feature. Meaningless.

:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Instant MPG has got to be the most useless feature by far on the 06 FJR.

On the other hand adding a feature that showed the remaining range left in the tank would be very useful indeed.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I can't see why even that is necessary. If you use the reset trip meter when the tank is filled its not hard to do the math. After a few tankfuls have been burnt the magic range numbers / burn time for different usage will be etched into your brain. Some electronics like GPS and LEO detection are worthwhile but IMHO a hell of a lot of electronic displays and functions are just there to "tech up" an obvious area of the bike. Sometimes less is more.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Before FJR 06, I had Triumph Sprint ST 1050, which had this "remaining range left" display and I found that very useful. I'm still missing this function.
Instant fuel consumtion display is useless and stupid, but anyway, I'm the lucky one who doesn't have this bug, mine works perfectly.

·
Registered
341 Posts
oh, what a shame
Just think you'll now have to run that new bike of your in yet again!!

Since it's recall time I see Triumph are also doing the right thing. Due to issues with their pannier system they have done a redesign and are offering it as a free upgrade to all users who bought the originals via an authorised dealer.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
lenz said:
Sometimes less is more.
Agree with above, Lenz. I don't agree though that Y mgt. will sack the FJR project because they feel it is too much trouble. This is a very minor issue that requires one more push of a button to make it go away. If you feel you need the feature, Y will get you a new meter set. I doubt the cost of these is too great at the manufacturer level. It is coming off the bottom line for Y for sure but I doubt it is a real financial catastrophe.

And Joecbr, trust me, it'll be MUCH quicker if you do the silver to black meter rim conversion yourself. It is not a safety issue at all, but a personal preference of yours. I too think it would look good but the safety issue angle you're pushing is just wanting it done for free. Naughty, naughty.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
bdueck said:
On the other hand adding a feature that showed the remaining range left in the tank would be very useful indeed.
The Duc has this as well. But it's mostly useless, too. When the fuel gauge sender bottoms out, the bike still has over a gallon of fuel... and the display simply says, "Low Fuel." And as we all know, a gallon of fuel can either take you 50 miles, or 20, depending on how you're riding the bike. I'm told bike fuel tanks are shaped such that a float gauge has trouble with accuracy.

The 'counter,' odometer up from zero when the fuel light illuminates is actually pretty darn useful, I've found.

I've also found that even in the tightest tuck and taking it easy on the interstate, that number will reach 35.6 miles on the R1 before flame-out. :oops:
(and I was lucky, cause I got another 0.8 on the roll-down :lol: )

:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
A remaining range left readout would be a real plus but I personally would like the instant MPG, if I had an FJR. It may seem useless to many but I'd find it useful if not just neat to have. Reminds me of the ambient air temperature readout on my 02 VFR. Most never seem to use it but I REALLY like it.

VFRMike.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
VFRMike said:
ambient air temperature readout on my 02 VFR.
I love this on the new FJR. Old one didn't have it but I usually keep the new FJR readout on the air temp rather than the mileage functions.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Kaj said:
Instant fuel consumtion display is useless and stupid, but anyway, I'm the lucky one who doesn't have this bug, mine works perfectly.
Agree it is a totally useless, stupid idiotic function of zero value - but - now that yours works - I want mine to work - time for a class action.... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
250 Posts
20valves said:
lenz said:
Sometimes less is more.
And Joecbr, trust me, it'll be MUCH quicker if you do the silver to black meter rim conversion yourself. It is not a safety issue at all, but a personal preference of yours. I too think it would look good but the safety issue angle you're pushing is just wanting it done for free. Naughty, naughty.
Not sure I agree. Yesterday I was riding west at 6:00pm in a 25mph zone and the glare off the speedometer was so harsh I couldn't read anything. I got stopped by the local police - who clocked me at 125 mph. See what a safety issue this is........ :crylarf:

·
Registered
949 Posts
Liquidsilver said:
I'm told bike fuel tanks are shaped such that a float gauge has trouble with accuracy.
The irregular surface area of the pool of fuel and the varying rate of change of volume with depth makes measuring the instantaneous total fuel volume accurately a potentially expensive exercise for a manufacturer. Realistically all that is required is to precisely map the generally non linear fuel volume against depth function and use the map in a simple chip subroutine and readout. The cheap linear volume / depth compromise approach would be to provide a measurement throughout the range that is easily measured and call the rest "reserve" / "low fuel".

The real issue here is dealing with "significant" numbers. Kilometers / litre is difficult to deal with when you are looking for efficiency / consumption changes because the fuel volumes are small and the changes in distance are small. If litres / 100km is used then you can see meaningful changes. Miles / gallon works well because the mile figure is big and sensitive. (Not that there is anything wrong with that) This is the reason why IMHO distance is a more "significant" number than remaining fuel volume - its bloody significant when you're walking it for fuel. Half a litre @ 5.5lt / 100km could see you walking one way at least for 9 kilometres. Two litres @ 5.5lt / 100k (36km) in a hostile environment could see you dead.

Carry some extra fuel when near reserve and run the bike dry. Record the distance travelled from full to reserve / low fuel and then when it's dry. This independent check is a damn sight more comforting than weighing an ugly outcome against a $1.50 fuel gauge assembly. Trust your instruments yeah but warning bells should be going off in your head if the gauge is showing more fuel than the elapsed hours / distance tells you. There may be a walk ahead if you believe the fuel gauge. If its showing less fuel find out if there is a feasible consumption problem or leak and perhaps refill to see where the problem lies. Quick independent checks that verify / confirm that things are somewhere close to the assumed situation - fuel in this case - are useful. So is experience with the machine.

Surveyors are never lost -- they just become "geographically embarrassed"

Pilots are never lost -- they are just "temporarily unsure of their position"

·
Registered
632 Posts
I thought the measurement of mpg (instant or average) was by using a flowmeter between the tank and the injectors.

There is no way that a float system is sensitive enough

Alan

1 - 20 of 50 Posts