FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum. been reading for a long time. just got my 06 fjr a couple weeks ago. thought it might be time to post something. I am going on a long trip in a couple weeks. so I made a rack, rest & bracket to hold my bag and tent. since my back seat will be occupied this was my only option. the pics are in my gallery. let me know how crappy you think it is.

ps my bike arived with a big scratch in the fairing. I would not have excepted this if the ordering process was not like it is. owell. new upper left fairing on the way.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Crappy? Not hardly! Very nice, Deisel! I just bought a rack for my DR650 that is built with the same materials and I am very pleased with it... real strong! Looks like it is easily mounted and dismounted again when you get back from your trip for that more natural ST look, or do you leave it on all the time to help support the backrest for your pillion?

Again, very nice! I'm sure many here will start hounding you to make something for them. So many of us lack the talent you so obviously possess.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks amian! I apriciate that. my Idea behind this was to be able to remove the rack. leave the bracket and backrest for my kid to ride on day runs. and possibly make another rack that is smaller for shorter trips. it will be off for local riding.

how do you edit your profile? I wanted to add where I am from. cant figure it out :oops:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hi diesel

Click on the "home" button at the top of this page (careful you dont get the Yamaha button by mistake). At the top right of the home page is a panel which includes a link labelled ">Profile". Click on that and your profile will open up for editing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Deisel, That does indeed look great! I marvel at your ability to imagine and manufacture something so good looking and practical. Any chance you'd care to share a template or measurements for us lesser beings to try to follow?[/img][/list]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very nice design. It looks like a very functional rack. I am sure there is a market for them if you ever decide to make a few more.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Nice job on the rack Diesel. Just remember that the factory rack is plastic, so not rated for much weight. It looks like you did a nice job of extra support bolts though.

If you see an '04 running around OC with a fuel cell in place of the passenger seat and rack, that's me.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
A nice bit of work. How far past the end of the tail unit is it? Also what are you thinking of carrying as it's a big sucker!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I need to read this more often. thanks for the replys. I thought I would get email if someone replys to a post that I write. anyway, there is nothing atatched to the plastic stock rack. just the mounting holes. my rack sets up off the stock rack about a half inch. the pattern for the bracket is just a hand drawn sketch on construction paper. I supose I could have my wife draw this up on a CAD drawing. I just figured I was only making this one. I will try to get somemore pics up of the rack installed with load on it. I think the cool part is... you can design any size, shape rack you like. and leave the mounting bracket the same. I am planning on shortening the dove tail part of the rack after my trip next month. it hangs back about 12" past the mounting holes of the rack. I think the trunk from yamaha is back at least that far as well.
I have seen a couple fjr's in OC. I live near CCC up on meyers rd.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts