FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on the Yamaha (USA) site that the AE is going to have heated grips standard. Nothing is mentioned about heated grips for the A version. Yet, when I read articles about the new 06 FJR in magazines eg: Motorcycle Consumer News, January 2006, they imply that the heated grips are standard equipment for the 2006. In the second paragraph about the FJR1300 it says and I quote, "A Unified Braking System with ABS, as well as heated handgrips will be standard equipment for 2006, and the well-equipped base model will retail for $13,499." That sounds to me like the A will have heated grips also.

Does anyone know for sure? Any opinions?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Heated Grips on 2006 FJR1300A

At the recent motorcycle show in Long Beach CA, the Yamaha guy in the booth stated that the ABS only version of the bike would have heated grips from the factory. He pointed to a blank in the fairing and said that it was the location of the control.

:D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since both versions (the AE and the A) are going to have ABS, does that mean both versions are going to have heated grips?

·
Registered
426 Posts
The big question is why are the Yamaha grips $250 and grips for the Suzuki V-Strom $150?!! Same manufacturer near as I can tell. Bet with a little whittlin' on the harness the Suzuki grips would be just fine on the FJR.

·
Registered
14 Posts
amain said:
The big question is why are the Yamaha grips $250 and grips for the Suzuki V-Strom $150?!! Same manufacturer near as I can tell.
Different manufacturer, but Symtec heat elements and a HeatTroller are still under a hundred bucks, even with a relay.

·
Registered
27 Posts
for the European bikes at least, the heated grips are definately not standard. :cry:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Anyone got UK 06 Heated grips?

Does anyone know if the new 06 grips are longer in the rubber grip than the previous version. My dealer has taken it upon himself to fit the previous model of heated grips (02 >05) on my 06 and they are 5mm shorter than the plastic that the rubber glues too underneath. So the plastic under the original grips still shows when you change them over and it looks rubbish.
I'm insisting he changes them to the correct set, I paid for the 06 heated grip arrangment so that look OEM and fit correctly. :x

If anyone could help and measure the length of the new heated grips it would be greatly appreciated incase we go legal... :twisted:

Nova :(

·
Registered
69 Posts
heated grips on 06 fjr yamaha brand

My dealer installed the controller on the brake resevoir, left side. I pointed to the square cutout in the fairing and he said that was the mounting they sent. Also the wireing on the throttle grip runs above the resevoir on the right side and there is a gap and some kind of oversize washer or something moving between the grip and the inside part of the handlebar. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks Everett

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: heated grips on 06 fjr yamaha brand

rockmurf said:
My dealer installed the controller on the brake resevoir, left side. I pointed to the square cutout in the fairing and he said that was the mounting they sent. Also the wireing on the throttle grip runs above the resevoir on the right side and there is a gap and some kind of oversize washer or something moving between the grip and the inside part of the handlebar. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks Everett
I also have the factory heated grips on my 06 FJR. You can change the mounting location from the resevoir to the cutout on the left fairing panel. The only thing about this mounting is that the control is not flush with the panel, it sticks out about a 1/2" above the panel.

As far as the wiring on the throttle grip running above the resevoir, you can shorten that up....But it is very important that the wiring sits in front of the resevoir to avoid getting hung up during throttle usage. As far as the gap is concerned, there shouldn't be any.

Hope this helps. :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
@ war machine, sounds like you have the same heated grip system as the rest of us, from the old parts bin. Are your grips actually smaller than the original grips in length, mine are and it simply isn't good enough, looks rubbish, almost like an after thought, not what you would expect for a new model where they've been designed to fit. :x

Nova :wink:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Remember this topic, guess what?

Yamaha now want to charge over £300 pounds extra for the 06 models grips to be fitted to my 06 FJR? Despite ordering and paying for the 06 grips along with every other farkle, the dealer put on the old models as an interim measure and assured me that they would change them over once the new grips where available. Now in October I contacted the dealer to arrange the change over and cannot believe that they want £320 pounds to change.

Be warned make sure you get the farkle you've ordered otherwise you could be left high and dry as well.

I've contacted my own solicitors and the BBC Watchdog producers given them all the documentation and they are going to run with it, watch this space.... :x

Nova :wink:

·
Registered
1 Posts
P/N for heated grips for '06 FJR13A

P/N for the steel bracket that the grip controller (dial) is mounted to is 5VS-W9792-10-00. This replaces the square insert in Panel B on the LHS.

P/N for the grip set itself is 90793-66645.

thundercat

·
Registered
37 Posts
herlong4 said:
I bought an 06 fjr and it did not come with heated grips.
I posted this before regarding heated grips:
Gentlemen,

This is my solution for grip warmers on my 06:

I too felt Yamaha was ripping us off charging those prices for the factory heated grips. In fact I'm sure the less expensive grips are identical to the factory grips. Yamaha buys those parts from another source & then gives them a Yamaha part number.

Since I also wanted heated grips (I ride all year long) & I wasn't happy with the Yamaha price or the way the Yamaha Control unit sticks out so high from the dash panel, I came up with a different approach. My friend John has an 04 Honda ST1300 with heated grips. Have ridden his bike in winter & those grips get HOT. After inspecting his bike's grips (he & I share a garage) I discovered the grips on his bike are identical to the Yamaha factory grips. The control unit is different, & I like it better. So I order the Honda part # 08T50-MCS-100 after searching on the web & found it for $160 (I'm sorry I don't remember which vendor), & then installed it myself. Here are some pics:

The Honda Thermostat Control Unit shown above IMHO looks much better than the protruding Yamaha Controller, & I only had to dremmel out the removable square panel.

This photo above shows my set up of grip puppies over the heated grips (yes the grips still get hot), with a vista cruise control & manic salamander end weights.

I think this profile with a flush mounted control unit is much cleaner than the Yamaha controller. The best part is it works! And I installed it myself.

Just thought I'd share another option for you boys & girls.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has had experience with heated gloves as opposed to heated grips and if there are any drawbacks to heated gloves. I would think that gloves would keep your whole hand and fingers toasty as well.

·
Registered
331 Posts
One of the nicest instals I have seen, very very nice 8)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Priced these Honda ones up today, £225. A lot cheaper than Nova's quote from his Yamaha dealer for theirs.

If I ever get a bike to fit them too I might get some.

Still waiting.

:(

1 - 20 of 32 Posts