FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weekends ago, I got to open up my new FJR for the first time while I was blowing off a BMW on a cop free road. I only got up to 190 Kph, but had to back off because the bike was vibrating so badly I was afraid it would wreck my GPS mount. (190 was enough to see off the BMW).

At the next stop, I had a look at the wheels and found there were no balance weights on either wheel. The factory obviously neglected to balance the wheels when they put the tyres on.

So this weekend, I took the wheels off and took them in for dynamic balancing. The back was OK, but the front needed balancing.

As for the front brakes, I had the wrong idea in my head from the advertising blurb, that each front caliper had 8 pistons, 2 of which are driven by the rear system. The reality I saw when I had the wheel out, is that each caliper only has 4 pistons, and only the right hand caliper has 2 pistons driven from the rear system. The other interesting thing is that each piston has a seperate brake pad, so each caliper has 4 brake pads. This means that the brake pads wont wear into a wedge shape due to the unequal pressure applied by the front and back brakes. That used to happen on my old ST1100 which also had linked brakes.

And the vibration is gone, what a difference a few grams of lead makes.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Bernie said:
A couple of weekends ago, I got to open up my new FJR for the first time while I was blowing off a BMW on a cop free road. I only got up to 190 Kph
So you'd only just got into 4th then :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's amazing how sex can be applied to any subject. :crylarf:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Who said anything about sex? :?

I thought she was aiming a gun at him.... :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts