FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after careful consideration I decided not to take delivery on the 06 FJR from the Texarkana, TX dealership. I want more weather protection and the seat was not right for me.

You will still have to get in line; however, the bike is available. Tony, the salesperson, was great and I am sorry to inconvenience him. He is the first person I would recommend to buy from. The best I have ever dealt with. Contact Tony regarding details.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may be right, the Gold Wing is on my short list. They put too many farkles on the 06 though. I may get an ST - I know, I know - it weighs a lot and sounds funny.

Happy riding to all of you. Be safe.

Jonesey

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yes the GL1800 is an awesome bike. Look for a new '05, there are still some out there. The 30th Anniversary model is very nice. Not as pre-farkled as the '06, as if that is a issue. The difference between the ST and the GL is huge. You ought to ride both before deciding. In fact if you are considering the ST, you should ride it and get your butt on an FJR to make the comparison truly worthwhile...and maybe, just maybe that '06 you ordered will still be on the dealer's showroom floor.
There is no comparison between the Connie and the FJR, similar but so much more bike with the FJR. Brakes, motor, lack of wind buffeting, oh the list is so long.
Good luck and let us know which way you went, and your impressions once you have a big day under your belt.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually rode both an ST and an FJR yesterday. The salesman knew I was having doubts and he let me ride his personal 06 FJR. Then on the way home I stopped by a friends house and rode the ST. Granted these were short rides; however I noticed some things.

The seat on the FJR is the best stock seat I have ever sat on, but its too wide on the sides and limits my groundreach it also even began to bother me while riding. There was way too much wind turbulence for me. I actually prefered the screen about half way up; however, I like to ride with my visor up and it kept getting slammed shut. When crusing down the road I dont want much wind on me. The clutch was a little hard to pull, but not a huge problem. When I rolled on the throttle it was a harsh transition from no throttle to acceleration. Not smooth at all. Now perahps I would get used to it and maybe the throttle needed adjustment - hard to say. The handling and power were awesome, in fact I felt like I may be over my head and would get a lot of tickets. The engine sounded fantastic. I was amazed I could think clearly and declined. Just a personal choice. Oh yeah, it was 87 degrees and there was no heat whatsoever. They have fixed it. I did have trouble getting from 1st gear to 2nd gear a few times. The bike looked great to me.

My friends ST was perfect regarding wind. He cut his stock shield down and as a result the wide part (lower part of the shield) keeps the wind away because its higher up. The seat fit me better and there was enough groundreach to put my airhawk on it. I dont like the sound of the engine.
It was easier to maneuver in a tight circle than my Connie, but harder than the FJR. It was harder to handle in the 25 mph curves than the FJR also. Definite heat, about like my Connie on the lower legs. It pulled great, plenty of power in the ST and was smoother in transition from no gas to gas. But my Connie with the carbs is smoother than either of those bikes. My instinct is that for me I would be happier with the ST than the FJR and would be easier to ride with a passenger (to me).

I think those that liked the old FJR will love the new one. I dont know if I need a bike as large as the Gold Wing. I rode one for an hour a few years ago and loved it, but not sure how I would like it in the twisties and not sure if I want to dole out that much money for one.

Best Regards

·
Registered
592 Posts
Jonesey, If you don't mind me asking how tall are you? I keep reading about the wide seat. I am 5"4. I know that I will never ever be able to flat foot the thing but that really doesn't bother me. My bike before last was a VFR800 and I was never able to flat foot it either. You just seem to get used to it.

Bryon

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RudyT said:
Jonesey, If you don't mind me asking how tall are you? I keep reading about the wide seat. I am 5"4. I know that I will never ever be able to flat foot the thing but that really doesn't bother me. My bike before last was a VFR800 and I was never able to flat foot it either. You just seem to get used to it.

Bryon
I am about 5' 10", but my inseam is only about 30". My thighs are kind of big, and I felt pressure on them.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Jonesey said:
There was way too much wind turbulence for me. I actually prefered the screen about half way up; however, I like to ride with my visor up and it kept getting slammed shut. When crusing down the road I dont want much wind on me.
I think you NEED a GW. I don't like to be isolated from the wind so much as you do. I disagree with your comment on turbulance on the FJR though. I think the Y boys have done an incredible job of smoothing the airflow reaching the rider. The stock screen on my '03 was a noisy, buffeting joke. I came from sportbikes so I don't mind the wind but the buffeting and attendant noise was so bad I much preferred a radically cut down screen that increased the amount wind but smoothed it out and eliminated the buffetting.

My experience with the '06 is that the wind reaching the rider is smooth no matter the position of the shield. I prefer it down but have run it all the way up and down at different speeds and am quite impressed. I am 6 feet tall.

I think your other comments are pretty accurate ( Ihave had no trouble on the 1-2 shift though).. The seat is wide but I actually like it and think it's excellent while riding, if a little challenging while stopped..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Jonesey !

Would it be much trouble for you to send me a message, or just write it down here in the forum, with a phone number from Tony from the Texarkana, TX dealership ?

i am looking for a 06 FJR :D

Greets Theo

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Theo said:
Hi Jonesey !

Would it be much trouble for you to send me a message, or just write it down here in the forum, with a phone number from Tony from the Texarkana, TX dealership ?

i am looking for a 06 FJR :D

Greets Theo
No problem Theo, here you go:

Tony, www.Yamahasportscenter.com 1-800-926-2420
3601 New Boston Road, Texarkana, Texas 75501-3141

·
Registered
40 Posts
So if the bike is sold, did you get your $500 back, Jeff?

I agree that the seat is a bit wide, but it is by far the most comfy stock seat I've ever been on. Done several day-long rides now, and while I might take my Airhawk with me for an Iron Butt, I probably won't even need it touring.

I don't like to be so protected from the wind. I like good airflow through my Rukka airmesh suit and my Shoei helmet, with too much wind protection and I get hot on those summer days.

Good luck with your bike choice, and happy riding!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Theo said:
called Tony this morning , the FJR is already sold :roll:
Sorry Theo. Keep your ears and eyes open, I am sure another opportunity will come up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mindtrip said:
So if the bike is sold, did you get your $500 back, Jeff?

I agree that the seat is a bit wide, but it is by far the most comfy stock seat I've ever been on. Done several day-long rides now, and while I might take my Airhawk with me for an Iron Butt, I probably won't even need it touring.

I don't like to be so protected from the wind. I like good airflow through my Rukka airmesh suit and my Shoei helmet, with too much wind protection and I get hot on those summer days.

Good luck with your bike choice, and happy riding!
Yes, Tony said I would get my $500 back if it sold fairly soon. As I said before he is a really honest and nice person.

That seat did feel like it was a custom, just wished it had fit. The wind would feel good on a hot day, I ususally dont ride in summer.

I am going with an ST which will better fit my needs.

Thanks for the well wishes and hope to see some of you on the road, even though I will probably be behind you all :wink:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just picked up my FJR yesterday at Yamaha Power Sports. Tony is an excellent guy to do business with Two thumbs up. :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts