FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!

Has Yamaha solved the heat issue with the 06?

• Never had a problem

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Yes

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all those that have experienced over heated nether regions and other parts of their personna riding their FJR in anything over 90 degrees check out the new fairing on the 06.
Open for heat in winter - closed for a cooler summer ride. New radiator and fans. New vents to cool rider. Insulated fuel tank etc. etc.
Yamaha really listened this time!
Check it out on the Yamaha web site! 06 FJR gallery

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelimage/180/21/0/image.aspx

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelimage/180/20/0/image.aspx

Abd a whole bunch more pics of new cooling mods

·
Registered
141 Posts
How can you expect people to vote Knowledgably upon something they haven't experienced yet.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
It might be better! but they dont make a silver one which has always been cool 8)

·
Registered
164 Posts
That’s funny Woody I was going to say the same about the black ones ,
But then I moved to SW France and 40c in June and I just could not bring myself to get on it . 8) 8)

Mind you its was 0c last night and only 2c now and that’s to cold even with the bike as a heater :(

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Hi Shan,
Are French still keeping the home fires going :lol: as it would help now Brrrrr..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Daftlad said:
How can you expect people to vote Knowledgably upon something they haven't experienced yet.[/quote

Of course you are absolutely right!

Be a sport have a go!!! It's free.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
woody said:
It might be better! but they dont make a silver one which has always been cool 8)
I believe the US version of the AE will be silver. The UK version is a blue with white stripes??

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
shan FR said:
That's funny Woody I was going to say the same about the black ones ,
But then I moved to SW France and 40c in June and I just could not bring myself to get on it . 8) 8)

Mind you its was 0c last night and only 2c now and that's to cold even with the bike as a heater :(
Yes it is much cooler in the US now and early some mornings I wish I could undo all the farkles the bike has related to the heat issue!
While the these mods made a slight difference in 40c weather, the actual paths of the air flow were hard to change and you still got baked.
I remember going up the long mountain climb into Vegas from Baker. The giant thermometer read 113 degrees and my shins were turning red and getting painful from the heat thru my mest pants. As I climbed it got cooler and I could not wait to get higher into the cooler air! Some slight relief up at the top!

It seems to me that the basic problem which is the routing of the airflow inside the fairing has been changed. This is a potential cure. I ride my buddy's K1200RS and know it is possible to design a bike that is a pleasure to ride in temps of 40C or 100F.

Let's hope the FJR is now that bike.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
tripletango said:
I believe the US version of the AE will be silver. The UK version is a blue with white stripes??
Yes, they call it 'Ocean Depth' :roll:

It can also be Silver Storm or Desert Metallic, but only if you don't want the wuss shift version 8)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bounce said:
I'm waiting for the poll about whether people would have preferred to have the AE auto-clutch or increased alternator output.
My 05 runs a gerbing jacket and gloves just fine. Not sure what the output of the alternator is. Do we need more?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Never a (serious) problem

The heat for me has never been a serious problem (05 model). Only in traffic jams with a very high temperature. But the FJR was not made for this: if you want a bike to ride through traffic jams you would better buy a scooter.
;-)
Any way it's far too premature to assess if the 06 model solves this "problem". But I guess not or maybe partially creating other ones...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Never a (serious) problem

miguel21op said:
The heat for me has never been a serious problem (05 model). Only in traffic jams with a very high temperature. But the FJR was not made for this: if you want a bike to ride through traffic jams you would better buy a scooter.
;-)
Any way it's far too premature to assess if the 06 model solves this "problem". But I guess not or maybe partially creating other ones...
You live in wonderful Mediterranean climate and can get away from the heat. You don't have to live in the 40c + oven like temps of a Texas summer. Lucky you!!

I know many guys and gals that own the bike live in areas that are never hotter than 80F degrees except for a few days a year. They don't have a clue what all the hubbub is all about. Look at the results of the pole. Bet not many of these respondents who voted third option live in the southern US states where the temps get to 100 degrees regularly.
The main reason I am buying an 06AE is that I am not going through another summer riding the 05. I hope the 06 solves or at least somewhat alleviates the problem or that is it for me and the FJR in the summer, it will be relegated to spring fall and nice winter days we get in Texas.
Riding a scooter or even a well faired bike like the K1200RS (my friend's) is the answer. My Burgman 650 which is a hybrid maxi scoot closer to a motorcycle than a platform scoot, is so well faired that you get none of the heat from the motor anywhere near your body. For those of you that say the burg is half the displacement of the FJR you are right. However the Burg weighs 500 lbs, it's frontal area is similar and if you run both bikes at a constant 60 mph in temps of 95 plus the amounts of energy used to maintain that speed is pretty much the same. Therefore the radiators are getting rid of similar amounts of heat. The FJR will still bake you but the Burgy is cool and air surrounding you is still hot but ambient.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Re: Never a (serious) problem

tripletango said:
You live in wonderful Mediterranean climate and can get away from the heat. You don't have to live in the 40c + oven like temps of a Texas summer. Lucky you!!
Not quite my friend: last summer I crossed the Iberian Peninsula to Barcelona and I got 45 c (113F) for hours! In Portugal during July / August temperatures arround 40c are also common.
My perception as I said before is that at low speeds - or stopped - the heat is annoying (it's more comfortable to keep your legs not close to the tank); but if you are "cruising", no problem.

Any way it seems to me that the new 2006 FJR lower tank protection is one of the few changes that can be retrofitted easily.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
No real heat issues here, summer from Dec through to March we can have days of 35 to 40C and 80+ humidity. Black, '01 model, but all my riding is done'moving' - very, very little slow traffic.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess the problem is different for each and everyone. I am used to living in an A/C environment (you guys too probably). The high temps on the bike are difficult for me and a few thousand others who have hit the various web sites and complained to Yamaha and dealers.
Jeez the last thing I want is to whine about it but I do mainly because I really like the bike for what it is.
What impresses me is that Yamaha have made a dam good effort to make the bike more habitable in hot weather. They have surpassed the ST 1300 in this regard and are now level, I hope, with other bikes that we have the option of buying.
I am sure when the bitching and moaning about the heat die down on the web sites they will sell more bikes. In all honesty I love the bike and what it can do. The value, the looks, performance etc. However if I had known how bloody uncomfortable the bike was in the summer on long 700 - 800 mile days I would never have bought it !! You may rely on that! As soon as my AE comes in the 05 is gone.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
david1300 said:
No real heat issues here, summer from Dec through to March we can have days of 35 to 40C and 80+ humidity. Black, '01 model, but all my riding is done'moving' - very, very little slow traffic.
Yes and the bull dust outback. I know all about it !! Lived there for a while, all my cousins and their kids grew up in Sydney. Love OZ

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Thinking about it, since they announced the new bikes, I haven't noticed any heat problems with my 2001, so the changes they have announced to the fairing have definitely worked for me. 8)

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
marshman said:
Thinking about it, since they announced the new bikes, I haven't noticed any heat problems with my 2001, so the changes they have announced to the fairing have definitely worked for me. 8)
:D

I've done Spain in 40c+ and not really a problem! but I did have my Hein Gericks on which could be why I don't feel any heat :?:

I have more trouble with the Ambient heat & Humidity and have to drink loads of water.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Water??!!!
That stuff'll make you ill.
Better off sticking to the beer

1 - 20 of 42 Posts