FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've looked throuogh the posts and have'nt seen this addressed. I got my 06 in apr, it's got about 1100 miles on it. After about 13 - 15 miles, the diff is almost too hot to touch. The dealer told me not to ride until parts came in, I'm out 3 weeks, and still no parts (shims, bearings, and seals). They have'nt opened it yet either, (waiting on parts). What is the normal temp range? Any one else with this problem, or is just the way they run? This is my first shaft drive. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Yes, diff's do get hot, there is a lot of power going through there, but I couldn't put a figure on it. Have you checked and changed the diff oil?

Actually, the chain on a chain drive bike also gets damn hot, try touching one just after the bike has been ridden.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the gear oil been changed a couple of times, last time with torco synthetic. For all I know this is normal, but my budddy's 03 does'nt get this hot, and the dealer felt the heat and said,Whoa, thats not good!, Don't ride it... This is killing me!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The heat you are feeling on your '06 is completely normal. Depending on the ambient temperature, the ring / pinion set generally runs too hot to touch. When the outside temps are below, lets say 55 - 60 F then you can lay an hand on the unit for a period of time.

Also, every bike has a different personality. My '04 drive set ran hotter than a pistol most of the time...My '06 SEEMS to run a little cooler, but I haven't really paid that much attention to it.

Keep a good quality oil in it and don't worry. IMHO, don't have the dealer touch anything until you can hear / feel something wrong.

YMMV

--G

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
As the dealer has agreed there is a problem with the rear drive then unless they've got a very competent spanner monkey in the workshop then I'd be inclined to insist they change the whole unit, and don't just fiddle around with the internals. Reading the manual, it's a time consuming procedure to measure the clearances and match components to suit, and as dealers usually get paid naff all for doing warranty work it can get given a low priority in the workshop.

·
Registered
949 Posts
This IS one application where unless there is a manufacturers fault the addition of the old Slick 50 Gearbox Concentrate would work well. I've used it where possible on engines and transmissions and there is a significant reduction in operating temps. You can't use it near a clutch or limited slip diff but a simple, stand alone crown and pinion like on the FJR is a prime application.

·
Registered
531 Posts
When the fluid was changed, what was on the mag-plug? If it was just a bit of grey paste, you should be OK. Good that the dealer is taking a close look for you, but may I suggest the Shockproof Heavy? http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?pvID=87&prodID=61&subcatID=20

I noticed very smooth, quiet, cool operation after putting this in at 2K miles. Its a noticable improvement. I change it during every oil change and there is virtually nothing on the magnet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input. The dealer took it apart and found a clicking bearing, which they replaced. We used the yamaha fjr gear lube, and it does seem to run a bit cooler now. Thanks again for the help, M.B.D.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You've had your bike since early April and only had 1,100 miles by the end of May? You probably have cruised more on this forum than your bike :lol:

Just thought about this- every FJR owner that has had there dealer check the drive splines at the 600 mile check up- or earlier- finds that there is no grease on the splines (and maybe reason for excessive heat build up).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.