FJR Owners Forum banner

'06 braking issue

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  bdueck 
Look after your ABS if you want it to look after YOU !!

Seems like some things never change, I have 6 bikes one of them being 94 GTS 1000 with ABS. The only way to keep any anti lock system working 100% is to use it regularly I mean at least one every month you will have to brake hard enough to make the system cut in and move the static fluid in the modulator, no problem with the rear brake just about anybody can cope with jumping on that pedal hard enough to attempt to lock that back wheel forcing the system to move a little fluid through the modulator, however it is a massive test of faith to grab the front brake hard enough to lock the front wheel!! And force the system to cut in and save your sorry arse. The alternative is to get you dealer to show you where the test plugs are for the ABS control unit, with the GTS you simply have to link 2 pins on a plug under the seat, apply pressure to both the front and rear brakes, then with your spare hand turn the ignition key; If all is well both levers give a good kick, the front lever ratchets back to the bar and the rear brake pedal depresses fully. Release the brakes turn off the key remove the link and fit the seat all done on the main stand and no risk of gravel rash. Unfortunately the warranty had long since expired on my GTS when I bought it and tested my ABS, it failed the test left me with nothing but a red light flashing on the dash. I stripped and rebuilt the modulator it is a mass of solenoids valves balls and springs and o-rings. There are no spare parts listed Yamaha only offer you the complete unit at an intergalactic price. My advice is test cycle your ABS system often and change your fluid frequently don't be dumb enough to think the dealer is going to do it with a reminder.
Regards
Esme

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.