FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have one or ridden one. I'm interested in some impressions of the automatic .

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
number2 said:
Does anyone have one or ridden one. I'm interested in some impressions of the automatic .
Liquidsilver will share his impressions with you and he hasn't even ridden one!

We'd all like to know about that thing but I've seen nothing on it anywhere. It's either gonna be great or go straight to the GTS 1000 hall of fame/shame.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
I think it'll be a great 145HP starter bike.

No more Honda Rebels or Nighthawk250s as the favorite MSF drop-doggies.

A boon to the physically challenged, perhaps.

:)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does that mean Formula 1 drivers are physically challenged :D there's always resistance to something different, but htis could be the start of something BIG or small.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I will tell you what i learned at the dealer Fri. Cypress has a bike that all the reps have ridden. Evidently its a similar set up to the moto GP bikes. They have to be shifted up or down. The shifting is by the foot lever as always or thumb/finger, your choice. Its not recommended but you can shift it drag racing style, that is, you can shift with the throttle wide open. Thre is "no way you can shift faster, manually." I take that to mean if you like drag racing you'll like the way this shifts.

I must say I'm intrigued but still don't know if I'd like it as well as a manual shift. When Baker Boys gets there's I'm going to see if I can get a ride on it.

Glenn

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
number2 said:
Does that mean Formula 1 drivers are physically challenged
Heck YEAH! They're squished into that little sardine can so tightly... how could they possibly use any body english. ;)

And besides, what do they know? They can't even balance their machines on 2 wheels... much less perform a decent stand-up wheelie!!

The motorcycle racing powershifters only momentarily cut ignition to allow a manual shift without throttle blip or clutch, OR cut ignition and flip the shift lever... THEY DO NOT ELIMINATE HAVING A CLUTCH.

MotoGP guys all use their clutch levers. Amateur racers that use full autoshifters still have and use their clutches.

Do you think Yamaha was going for F1 with this AE? Do they market it as a performance option, or a convenience feature. (Hint: the website says, "Sport touring has never been so smooth." My interpretation: "If you want to ride a fast bike, but don't know how to ride, buy this one.")

Yamaha'd be getting a little slack from me on this, if there was still a clutch lever that could manually override the geri-shift... but they didn't, so I don't... and I think it's the stupidest thing I've seen them do. ;)

Even if it performs quick, flawless shifts... with a little practice, you could have the satisfaction of doing it yourself WITHOUT having to be be completely mechanically separated from the shift fork.

Isn't motorcycling a little about doing some of the mechanical things yourself? Wouldn't you be a little disgusted if Yamaha spent all of their FJR-R&D funds for the next upgrade to have an autobalancing option? Then you'd be pointing the bars, but a servo would take your inputs, re-interpret them and keep the motorcycle upright, no matter what you did. Would that be riding a motorcycle, or riding a Segway (sp?) scooter.

OBTW - yes Glenn, when my dealer gets one, I'm promised a short ride, too.

((P.S. - the Yamaha USA guys I've spoken to, under their collars, all seem to feel the same way I do about this, they just can't think it out loud))

- -

If, in 2007, Yamaha introduces an FJR with 20 more horsepower (minimum to be competitive with new rivals), about 40 pounds (minimum) lighter than my '05 was... I'll trade the Ducati for it.

If it was an AE, it would still have to be that 40 pounds lighter, but it would have to have a MECHANICAL autoshifter, so the shift lever still operates the transmission instead of a servo... with a MECHANICAL clutch lever that could override the clutch servo... I'd still buy it. Servo drive is for vacuum cleaners.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Thats my one reservation. I have no doubt that it will be a very slick system, and it will probably be able to change gear a lot more smoothly and intelligently than some of my recent gearshifts, but there is no way of mechanically disconnecting the drive, or interacting in any way with the gearbox if things go pear shaped with the electrics. Just look at how many battery failures there have been recently. If the bike was in left in gear when you parked it up, then my reading of the specs is that it's immobile unless you pick up the back end and move it around like a quarter tonne wheelbarrow.

I will also be in the queue to take one for a test ride :mrgreen:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't understand the point of having one other than to be first on the block. I'm a bit old fashioned, I want a bike that has a clutch, though my hoss is fully automatic. If I get another bike without a clutch it'll probably be a bergman.

Mike

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Liquid, you have some serious issues on this, dude.

The thing has a clutch, just not a lever. They have a robot working the clutch and shift forks and he may be pretty good at it. We just don't know yet. What about traction control? E start dirt bikes? Anything that didn't exist before 2006? Ya got a problem with those? How about auto ignition advance, you used to have to do that with with a left twist grip back when men were men :p 8) :lol:

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Yes. Issues. I have this completely irrational 'thing' for riding motorcycles. I wouldn't pay someone to do it for me.

20valves said:
The thing has a clutch, just not a lever.
What's the point of a clutch without a lever? My chainsaw has a clutch with no lever.

20valves said:
They have a robot working the clutch and shift forks and he may be pretty good at it. We just don't know yet.
Yes, I'll bet he is good at it. But I wouldn't pay someone else to ride my motorcycle for me. I like to do it. Having the engagement of the engine to the wheels is more than just a preference though... it's part of riding a motorcycle. Scooters eliminate several of the characteristics of motorcycling. And as fond of the FJR as I am, it bothers me when it too becomes an agent of eliminating characteristics of riding a motorcycle.

20valves said:
What about traction control?
Yes, I wish it wasn't in racing either. Good system for a vehicle NOT used for recreation though. I like it in that respect. Like ABS, it has a purpose.

20valves said:
E start dirt bikes?
Yes, I have one. Would I own it if I couldn't also kick it? No. Would I have been unable to start it on multiple occasions if I couldn't also kick it? Yes. On a cold day, the eStart doesn't spin it fast enough... you have to kick it. Same company, Yamaha. And another thing that sucks about it... the starter motor causes the kickstarter to require more effort. I kick it almost exclusively, anyway.

20valves said:
Anything that didn't exist before 2006?
Yeah. I'm not saying I don't like new things. I do. I just like new things that have some purpose... some reason for being. Who needs a 12 pound lump (minimum) to shift your gears. That's like inventing a 12-pound robotic ass scratcher and saying you improved upon fingernails.

Speaking of 2006 things, I like 2006 R1s with Marchesini wheels, slipper clutches, and Ohlins legs.

20valves said:
How about auto ignition advance, you used to have to do that with with a left twist grip back when men were men.
Yes, now that's a good one. I'm also fond of power steering, lasers, plasma weapons, digital energy conversion amplifiers and modern motorcycle tires. They all rock. But the best-operating useless thing, is still useless. ;)

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Ahem, let's just say Yam did not build the AE for liquid. Happily, he has other choices. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
06 ae model

Somebody in Ar Kansas needs to buy one so we can all meet for a test ride :lol: Or maybe Texass :crylarf:

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
20valves said:
Ahem, let's just say Yam did not build the AE for liquid. Happily, he has other choices. :mrgreen:
You can say that again, brudda!

The part where I really became irrational however; when I was so disgusted with Yamaha for spending the R&D on the mickey mouse shifting system, instead of going stronger and lighter, that I rushed right down to the dealer and told him I didn't want my perfect 2005 FJR anymore. Now *THAT* was over the top! :mrgreen:

I have to be rational for a living. And much to the chagrin of dealers everywhere, motorcyclists are often anything but rational.

I wouldn't fault Yamaha for building motorcycles with geriatric aids. As you say, I don't have to buy one. But developing a Depends-option on the bike I'm passionate about... when they could be doing something useful with their skills... like keeping up with offerings from BMW, Kwaki and Suzi... pi$$ed in my CornFlakes. :lol:

Did you see that mock up of a ZX14 (artist rendition) with a powered windshield and hard bags? That's where I could see the bad boy of SportTourers, FJR headed... not bulking up with GL1800 amenities.

- -

"That's like inventing a 12-pound robotic ass scratcher and saying you improved upon fingernails." I think that's the best way I can put it. :mrgreen:

Harley hardtail? Well, electric shifting sounds to me like something HD would do. And HD is a classic example of a company that doesn't make new models lighter and more powerful, they've just been doing it longer than anyone else. Champions in mediocrity (and luckier than snit at marketing).

(pssst - somebody has to stir up the turd in the pond... we don't have heat to complain about, and even the newbies are catching on about oil and tire threads)

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I think that ZX14 is the answer to a question no one is asking. I assume the thing would blow the doors off my R1 and let's face it, any 1 liter sport bike is already stupid fast. Then you have the Haybus, I mean is anyone sitting around saying "ya know, ya just can't find a bike that 's fast anymore, they need a 200hp street bike....."

Seriously, how much more can we really use on the street? Are you finding yourself with the thottle pinned too often? Which of you would bet less than the price of the bike that a rider wouldn't crash that ZX 14 (bags or not) and total it in 12 months? I think insurance will be impossible to get on that thing. And it still has to run on street tires, a huge limitation when mixed with that kind of horsepower. I am not at all convinced making bikes faster than they already are is any better place for a bike builder to spend its money than "geriatric aids." Now suspension, tires, maintanence requirements, comfort, reliability, etc are all areas where improvement is always welcome. Horsepower? I think we're there for the most part.

The 06 FJR may be heavier than previous years, but in my opinion, it is without a doubt, a much better motorcycle as well.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
20valves said:
I assume the thing would blow the doors off my R1
Until the first curve in the road? Perhaps. Actually, with power-to-weight factored, it wouldn't be so one-sided. The mighty 14's torque off the botom would be something, though, and it's looooong. Top speed runs become more about aerodynamics than power-to-weight, so that's really where the 14 would check out.

20valves said:
Horsepower? I think we're there for the most part.
An opinion shared by many, for sure. Anybody see Carruther's article in the last Motorcyclist Magazine? He contends that, because HE doesn't care for them, liter bikes are useless. He also whines about the track at Barber. Having used his whiny ass for a passing dummy at Barber, I can see why he doesn't like it. Mack, he's the journo I was telling you about, that got into a big wobble, and then denied it when I went over to complement him for saving it.
Oh well, I personally haven't ridden a bike I thought had too much power, so I don't know what that's like... and I think lighter is always nice...

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Liquidsilver said:
I personally haven't ridden a bike I thought had too much power, so I don't know what that's like... and I think lighter is always nice... :)
And I promise I won't pound the table bitching that a company misspent their R & D money on your horsepower that they should have used for my preferred improvements. 8)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts