FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a deposit down on a 2006 A, and am eagerly waiting for March. I'm wondering about the accessory plug in the left side storage compartment. Seems strange to me to have it inside the compartment. Stupid question. Does the storage lid have to stay open to use the plug or is there a little channel to route the cord through?

·
Registered
38 Posts
plug....

If I understand it correctly it would seem I'll be attaching my Gerbing wires and fuse to the battery like I did pn my '03. Can either run my heated "zoot suit" from those wires or plug in my trickle charger...now if I could only remember how/wher I routed them?! Having a lid over the port seems a bit counter productive to me. My oilhead beemers had a port with a spring loaded port cover down low on the left side of the engine area, not buried in a compartment. DFO :?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I'll probably do too, have a direct connection to the battery. I also have an oilhead (R1100S) with the BMW accessory plug. I just plug in the battery tender or Gerbing liner - very convenient. I don't think Yamaha thought that one out very well. The rest of the bike sounds great!

·
Registered
113 Posts
As said above, the port Yamaha provides is likely not very useful for anything but charging and powering your air compressor when you have a flat. For farkling, you'll want more control over the power port location, type, switched or unswitched, etc.

Check out Jastek for really nice BMW style power ports with spring loaded weather covers. I have two of these in the dash of my '04. No water problems open or closed. Lots of other cool stuff there too, as well as some FJR specific "kits" for those wiring impaired, though it's cheaper to just buy the ports and roll your own.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.