FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife finally gave me clearance for a new sled. I'm new to the S/T world. FJR is #1 on list. Found a cherry 05 (non abs) for 10k with 1900mi. It will come with Y.E.S. With all the announced improvements on 06, should I pounce or not? $$ is really a non-issue, as long as I can stay below 15k. Ther's no doubt I will be an FJR owner, just don't know which one yet.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
In JAX, you have a higher statistical probability of heat complaints. Do you work to solve the heat on an '05, if it affects you, or hope that Yamaha delivers on their "better airflow" on the '06? Would you appreciate less weight, or heavier weight with more features?

Probably the most effective question to ask; what kind of bike are you coming from? (If it's a sport or VFR-like machine, you might appreciate the '05 more. If it's a cruiser or GoldWing, I'm thinking the '06 may fit better... but nobody I know has ridden one to tell for sure.)

Yamaha has had the '06s turning wheels for quite some time now, enough to take lots of promo photos... but why haven't they given any mules to the bike journos for reviews? Hmmmmmmm. :oops:

:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input. I formally had a 02 Interceptor but then switched to the HD world but found that to be full of posers and low performance. Sold the Fatboy and am ready to tilt the horizon again. I also have an r1200gs on my want list but can't justify the higher operating cost and dealer support (lack of). I can only have one bike (wife rule) so I need to make it a good one.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Go for 06, we need some Guinea Pigs on here before the rest of us commit..... :D

Looking at where you are located, would seem to make sense to go for the 06 where the, so called, heat issue has been addressed..

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Cool. 8)

Compared to the Interceptor, both '05 and '06 will feel rocket-powered...

the '05 will feel a bit piggy...

and we can only assume that the '06 (by weight) will be a little more piggy.

But compared to the HOG... either one will feel like a full-on sportbike.

You're gonna love either one.

I have to tell you, I ride for a week every year in the Pensacola, FL area... last year I rented an HD, instead of wasting the middle of my bike's tires, and I have to say, posers or not... the HD was as fun to ride as anything I have ridden - in Florida. It's hard for me to enjoy riding there, with a billion people on the roads, every other car is a po-po or a blue hair and no curves. My bikes hit 60mph and say, "Okay, when do we get to go riding?" The HD gets to 60mph and says, "Look at my bad arse, I'm doin' SIXTY!!"

Anybody wanna rent me a street legal dual-sport for this spring? Those red sand roads look kinda fun, I've explored a few on the FZ1. Hmmmm.

:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Scrape,

I'll give an opinion, and weigh in on the side of the '05. The heat issue, for me, has never been a real problem. And it's hot in north Texas. The only heat mods I've made are to tuck some round pipe insulation into the plastic body work, and to insulate under the gas tank. Both are working well for me. Have you felt the heat coming from a 600RR? That's a hot little bastard, in more ways than one!

I don't want linked brakes, so the '06 is definitely out for me. Besides, I've got my '05 modded exactly the way I want it.

Finally, the '05 weighs enough as it is. I don't want the extra weight the '06 carries.

So, for me, it's not even a consideration. But, which ever you chose, you'll have a permanent grin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts