FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,
Just swapped out the starter on my 78K mile ’05…
Here’s the back story: I replaced the battery back in 2016 after I had some hot start issues (battery came with bike, age unknown). Others have documented this issue with the engine initially cranking slow and the dashboard clock/odo resetting to zeros. I had this happen once or twice in hot weather (85F+) and a new battery fixed it for a few years but it slowly came back. I’ve only ridden a few hundred miles over the past year due to Covid (no commute) and kept the battery charged as needed.
However, a recent 20 mile ride on a modest 70F day had it cranking slowly again after a brief stop. My Yuasa AGM battery was 4.5 yrs old so it could be getting a little tired but I decided to replace it along with the starter solenoid and the starter motor just to be safe. The solenoid is Yamaha OEM but the starter is a new/non-OEM unit that is warranted for a year and less than half the cost of the Yamaha item. Aside from the battery getting old, I figured the solenoid or the starter could have some high resistance contributing to the slower than normal cranking. Both are generally robust items but our starters have been known on rare occasions to have engine oil leak in to them, worn brushes and magnets come loose. The old starter actually looks better than expected but most of the inside was coated with a light, oily residue.
Here's a few pictures for your enjoyment.
Mr. BR

FJR TBs pulled.jpg FJR intake valves.jpg FJR starters.jpg FJR starter gear.jpg FJR old starter.jpg

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,279 Posts
Rookie mistake, I took apart an FJR starter to inspect it for all the concerns I read about. It was fine, minor cleanup, reassemble..... I could not see the housing alignment marks BEFORE I took it apart and did not mark it.... installed it, it spun but no starter clutch engagement..... it was running backwards. Of course, I had reinstalled the throttle bodies, airbox, etc. without testing it.... Doh!!! Pulled it, rotated the magnet housing 90 degrees and it ran the right way, reinstalled it...... made strange noise, so obviously I needed to tweak the magnet rotation.... meanwhile I had a newer starter in my stash and just installed it instead. Never installed a starter 3 times in as many days before, lol.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ray,
I had read about the magnet misalignment previously and JUST before I pulled apart the old starter, I remembered to mark the outer case so I could reassemble it correctly (those magnets are STRONG!).
Heck, I even checked the NEW starter to confirm it was also rotating the same as the old unit… I will likely just clean up the old unit and put it back together as a spare… seems like a very sturdy unit.
FYI: the new battery/Solenoid/starter combo just rips! It cranks fast and strong like it should.
Thanks!
Mr. BR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts