FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This central Florida dealer has an AE coming.

He wants:

Price (MSRP) $15,299
Junk Fees
Freight $375.00
Assembly 249.00
Admin fee 129.00
Tire 2.00
bATTERY 1.50
Total Junk Fees 756.50
Pre-tax price 16,066
Sales Tax 1,013.96
Out-the-door price 17,079.96

Title fee unknown
Tag fee unknown

SEMINOLE POWERSPORTS
1200 RINEHART RD
SANFORD, FL 32771-7302
Ph: 407-322-3253
Fax: 407-330-0346

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Incomplete message - This is a 2006 bike

I'm not sure how I posted before I was ready but I left out some things.

I'd been checking out the FJR on the web for all of one day when I called this dealer, he said that he has one coming and I could have it for a $500 non-refundable deposit. I asked which model and the salesman didn't even know there was an AE version.

Then he gave me his price. Is this how most Yamaha dealers are pricing these bikes? I couldn't afford a Gold Wing from this same dealer so I decided to check out this FJR primarily because it was cheaper. But after all the junk fees, I could buy an '06 Wing from an out-of-state discount dealer for about the same money as this FJR.

Why does anyone buy from dealers who refuse to discount a penney and then they have the gall to add almost $800 of junk fees to MSRP.

Local car dealers are offering deep disounnts but not motorcycle dealers. I simply don't understand their thinking. For example, I could buy an '06 Lincoln pickup for $35,000 which is about what a Chevy Silverado would cost. I want a motorcycle but don't want to be taken

I'd prefer to buy locally but not this way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LSUBOY said:
He selling HD's or Yamahas?
He sells Honda and Yamaha.

He said he was very busy so somebody's paying these prices.

When I was in there a few weeks ago, I saw an '02 Gold Wing with 17k miles and a price tag of $17,600 plus junk fees. When I went back the next day, the bike had been sold. I could bought a new '06 Gold Wing for under $16,000.

I simply don't understand why customers are throwing their money away on dealers like this. I checkt with three Honda dealers in central Florida and they all quote MSRP prices on Hondas.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You need to scroll down the page to the Out The Door Price thread and read about the deals out there if you want an 06. That dealer is a Harley dealer in disguise, trying to get those prices. But there are stupid people out there that will pay it. My standard version is $12,904.65 out the door. I know for sure because the paperwork is in my desk drawer.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My local dealer initially quoted me $10,748.09 on a 06 FZ1 which has a MSRP of $9099.00.

The additional $1649.09 over MSRP was for:

freight, $398.00
prep, $199.00
customer service, $199.00
tire/battery, $3.50
polycoat, $69.00
tax, $656.74
tags, 74.85
MSO/title, 49.00.

Although he was willing to negotiate the above, I could not get him to MSRP, or even close.

·
Registered
16 Posts
dose msrp mean must sell or is it manufacture sugested, I think some dealers need to be clued into this, but then if I was a dealer and there were people paying these insane prices Id be in the same boat

·
Registered
50 Posts
MSRP stands for Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price. This is the price before tax, title and license fees are applied. The dealers profit is already figured in at that price. Anything higher he can get you to pay is just gravy on a biscuit for the salesman/dealer. Be aware that some dealers will try and stick on other fees (junk) if you let them. The dealer is not obligated to sell at the MSRP figure but most do. If they are above MSRP, I would start looking for another dealer. Don't get confused with the numbers. The Out The Door Price is msrp plus tax, title and licenseing fees. You should no what the MSRP is for the bike you are interested in before you walk into a dealer. The manufacturers websites usually have their MSRP's listed for all their bikes. Do a little research and then go find that perfect bike at the right price. Most of the time they can be bought below MSRP if you shop and don't mine a little drive to go and get it. The dealer I bought my 06 FJR from is three hours east of me. He was $1,500 below MSRP. The local dealers would not sell for less than MSRP. So the local dealers won't get my money, but a nice dealer east of me will.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
My original purchase 03 FJR was a disaster. I was one of those pay full load plus any fee they could think of to get it out the door. It didn't come in until the day before Thanksgiving, not another bike buyer in sight and the dealer screwed me so bad. Despite my protests I paid it and swore to never do any buisness with them again. F#@k Plaza Cycle in Salt Lake. I ordered my 06 through another dealer. They gave me a fair price and I will drive the extra miles to buy from them. Screw me once shame on you,screw me twice shame on me. When it is delivered I will send a copy of my purchase contract to the sales manager at Plaza to remind them of the stupidity of short term gain.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Such an interesting thread that I pulled ou the paperwork on my '05 to see how badly I'd been abused.
Quite thoroughly as it turns out. :shock: *Sigh* Oh well. I put in the reserve order on the last possible day, and was still several thousand below the beemer that was its only competition (for me. YMMV), so I had no time to argue or research further, and I've loved every minute of riding.
I certainly won't be going back to that dealer. Wish I'd found this board (begun looking seriously for a FJR) a month earlier than I did; but no regrets on the FJR.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If I were in Florida, I'd be going to D&H, or make my dealer come close enough to offset my travel expense. This guy is out-of-the-park considering how far you don't have to travel to buy more reasonably.
Simply walk away, then once you have your new bike, ride over there on a sunny afternoon and calmly explain to the sales manager how much you regret not being able to buy from him because of his pricing policy....or not, because you might need him for warranty work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
madmike2 said:
If I were in Florida, I'd be going to D&H, or make my dealer come close enough to offset my travel expense. This guy is out-of-the-park considering how far you don't have to travel to buy more reasonably. Simply walk away, then once you have your new bike, ride over there on a sunny afternoon and calmly explain to the sales manager how much you regret not being able to buy from him because of his pricing policy....or not, because you might need him for warranty work.
Thanks, I agree.... I'm willing to go the distance to save this kind of money. I was hoping that Yamaha dealers weren't as greedy as Honda dealers in central Florida. The Honda dealers all require MSRP plus big junk fees for Gold Wings. Since Honda has increased their prices so much already, this extra cost put the purchase out of my price range.

The closest Yamaha dealer, Champion, also owns the closest Honda dealer so they ramp up prices and won't budge. The Honda dealer even increased their price another $1,000 for red, even though MSRP for red was $300. Also, a Champion salesman told me that I'd wait a "very long time" for service if I buy my bike elsewhere.

The discount Honda dealers offer up to $4,000 off MSRP but they don't have any bikes to sell. I waited since September 7th for a Honda dealer in Miami and Chattanooga to call me to buy one but they have never called.

I guess these prices are harder to swallow since I've never paid more than $20,000 for any motor vehicle, including a Suburban and two older Cessnas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: Incomplete message - This is a 2006 bike

Call D & H Cycle Inc. located in Cullman, AL they will give you a deal that will blow your socks off. Phone number - 888 553-3311 ask for Jerold or Renay. I ordered 2006 FJR1300-AE for $12999 out the door.

beachside39 said:
I'm not sure how I posted before I was ready but I left out some things.

I'd been checking out the FJR on the web for all of one day when I called this dealer, he said that he has one coming and I could have it for a $500 non-refundable deposit. I asked which model and the salesman didn't even know there was an AE version.

Then he gave me his price. Is this how most Yamaha dealers are pricing these bikes? I couldn't afford a Gold Wing from this same dealer so I decided to check out this FJR primarily because it was cheaper. But after all the junk fees, I could buy an '06 Wing from an out-of-state discount dealer for about the same money as this FJR.

Why does anyone buy from dealers who refuse to discount a penney and then they have the gall to add almost $800 of junk fees to MSRP.

Local car dealers are offering deep disounnts but not motorcycle dealers. I simply don't understand their thinking. For example, I could buy an '06 Lincoln pickup for $35,000 which is about what a Chevy Silverado would cost. I want a motorcycle but don't want to be taken

I'd prefer to buy locally but not this way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Stoney said:
There is no such bike as a 2005 FJR1300-AE
I know that.... which is why I corrected this to 2006 in my follow-up post.

Sorry about that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Stoney said:
Call D & H Cycle Inc. located in Cullman, AL they will give you a deal that will blow your socks off. Phone number - 888 553-3311 ask for Jerold or Renay. I ordered 2006 FJR1300-AE for $12999 out the door.
I'm sad to say that I missed to order deadline so I'm out-of-luck on an '06 FJR... Will there be another ordering window?

Perhaps I should just call D & H and ask them. It sounds like they're there to help their customers rather than to fleece them.

Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
14 Posts

beachside39 said:
Stoney said:
I'm sad to say that I missed to order deadline so I'm out-of-luck on an '06 FJR... Will there be another ordering window?

Perhaps I should just call D & H and ask them. It sounds like they're there to help their customers rather than to fleece them.

Thanks for the information.
It's ok, I think you may be able to find one somewhere. I think you have a good idea in contacting the folks at D&H Cycle Inc. if anybody can help you they are probably the ones. And if not, September will be here in no time and you can order the new and improved 2007 FJR. This way you will have some more time to save up a little more money for it.
It was my understanding that the cut off time for the 2006 was when the set number of bikes were sold or spoken for.

·
Registered
50 Posts
How did you miss the deadline. You posted on Dec. 24 about buying an 06 and your friends here told you who to call to get the best deal around and you still don't have one ordered? What's up with that. You need to call D & H Cycle and see if they will sell you one. A guy I know just ordered one today from the dealer I bought mine through and got the same deal that I got. So you can still order them as of today. If you really want one!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Shopped around at Minneapolis dealers last week and couldn't find one that knew anything about a 2006 PDP. They all said they had a few coming in in March or April but none said you had to order one. I think a few dealers are blowing smoke just to get you to put some money down.

Not shopping for an FJR now but the bike that has my eye is $1000 cheaper than at my local dealer if I drive 325 miles to pick it up. Let's see, should I bolster the local economy or bolster my own? I even told the local dunderhead how much I could get it for elsewhere but would compromise to be able to buy locally and $1000 was still as close as he would come. I'm tempted to drive 325 miles for all my service too, just so the local idiot doesn't buy beer with MY money. How do guys like that even stay in business? The other guy drives a nice car and supports a large family with his dealership. Way easier to deal with too.

:roll:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts