FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 04 started to tick at about 8,000 miles. It now has 11000 and the tick has continued to increase in severity. I took the bike into Desert Motorsports in Scottsdale and the service personnel agreed the noise was abnormal and the contacted Yamaha. They were subsequently told to check for deposits on the valve stems as observed through the exhaust ports. These deposits were visible indicating a valve guide - leakage problem. This methodology is appearently the current method of diagnosing a ticker. Yamaha then authorized a exhaust valve replacement and provided the delear with a list of parts to facilitate this. I hope to have the bike back in a couple of weeks.

[/img]

·
Registered
44 Posts
confirmed ticker

My '03 started ticking somewhere before 6000mi. I drove it to 19,000 milesbefore taking it in this week. Replaced the cam chain tensioner but did no good so the same procedure as yours to my dealer in Santa Clara, Ca. near San Jose. Same results. Mine is apart and I will go in on Monday and check the head and the header. Took me a phone call to Cypress to help the dealer along.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Motordog. I wonder if you would give me your VIN. My dealer is most interested to pass on to Mr Yamaha that an 04 has been discovered as they are denying it and say they have a breakpoint.

In short my 03 got noisy @10,000k. Got new valves & guides at 40,000 and is still noisy. Done 43,000 now.
Need as much ammo as I can get here.

Will PM this to you also.
Thanks
Andy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts