FJR Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I find myself owning a ‘13 is there any way to up the limit on the cruise control? I’ve done the search and can not determine if there is an update that a Yamaha dealer can do or is Ivan the only option? I can live with 80 but making it the same as my ‘14 was would really be nice. Be nice if I could upgrade to the ‘14 color too. :wink2: Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Donk, you might call Yamaha to see if they have some kind of reflash to do that, I seem to remember that because of the hoopla over the 80mph limit that they offered something but I’m not sure about it.

Also I’m glad to see you’re enjoying your bike but also sorry to hear that you’ve come to realize that the red bikes are indeed the fastest color 😁

All else fails you can always fall back on the Ivan’s reflash, based on all the really positive reports here I’ve been thinking about it but it all depends on whether I keep my bike or not due to my back issues, we’ll just have to wait & see.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you go with Ivan's reflash, he enables cruise control in the lower gears which can be very handy maintaining speeds through towns and school zones.

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
Ivan flash the only way to remove the limit... How many times have you ever been on cruise at 80? Me once in all the years I had FJR's.
The 2013 colour is great, not sure I'd slow it down by painting it red, lol.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
ivan flash the only way to remove the limit... How many times have you ever been on cruise at 80? Me once in all the years i had fjr's.
The 2013 colour is great, not sure i'd slow it down by painting it red, lol.
🙄🙄🤔🤔😁😁👌🏻👌🏻😆

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
Or you can swap the '13 ECU for a '14 or '15 A ECU.

Me? I was so happy to have "real" CC, that I didn't worry about the lower limit. In fact, if MamaYama had not raised the limit in 2014, I doubt if many of us would be worrying about it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Now that I find myself owning a '13 is there any way to up the limit on the cruise control? I've done the search and can not determine if there is an update that a Yamaha dealer can do or is Ivan the only option? I can live with 80 but making it the same as my '14 was would really be nice. Be nice if I could upgrade to the '14 color too. :wink2: Thanks for the help.
I hated that limit when I had my '13...now I wish I had that CC even with the limit - LOL. My problem was the group I rode with, they'd always set it at 84-85ish...bast*rds!!! :grin2:

I miss the CC, maybe someday I'll get another Gen3.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
I hated that limit when I had my '13...now I wish I had that CC even with the limit - LOL. My problem was the group I rode with, they'd always set it at 84-85ish...bast*rds!!! :grin2:

I miss the CC, maybe someday I'll get another Gen3.
There is several after market CC for a Gen II. If I had the spare cash the MCC

https://www.mccruise.com/collections/yamaha

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
My biggest irritant with the 82mph limit was that the resume button wouldn't work above 82 either.

I'd be rolling along at 82 in the right lane and catch slower traffic and have to slow a bit until I could merge safely with the left lane. I'd move left, pass the slower traffic, move back right, hit resume, and it'd fall on it's face because I was running 83 or more. It was just frustrating, but not frustrating enough to pay for a '14 ECU, which I understand some people did.

I also toured for several years with a guy on a 'wing, and like maximrebel said, he'd set his cruise a bit above '82, and I couldn't match it.

I did finally let Ivan flash it, and I admit the cruise control limit was the deciding factor. It wasn't worth $600 for a new ECU, but I could cough up $350 ;)

Like JHat, I find it interesting to be able to set cruise in low gear. LOL I have used it in 25 mph speed limits just to give my old arthritic hand a rest.

·
Registered
333 Posts
There is several after market CC for a Gen II. If I had the spare cash the MCC

https://www.mccruise.com/collections/yamaha
Yeah, I know about that one. I didn't want to spend that much. Don't get me wrong, I have the BrakeAway 'cruise control' and it does a really nice job for what it is (throttle lock), but I still miss my '13 and actual CC. But it's much appreciate Mr. Louis!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm with Ray. The group I ride with is in no danger of over-riding the 80-limit on my '13. I really don't like to lock in the cruise at speed approaching the ton. I prefer to keep my right hand and what's left on my brain awake.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I'm with Ray. The group I ride with is in no danger of over-riding the 80-limit on my '13. I really don't like to lock in the cruise at speed approaching the ton. I prefer to keep my right hand and what's left on my brain awake.
You might change your opinion if you lived where the speed limit is 80 MPH and traffic flows at 85 MPH.

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
I'll admit I like to go fast at times, but I don't ride interstates much unless it's to get from one entry to the next exit....

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I'll admit I like to go fast at times, but I don't ride interstates much unless it's to get from one entry to the next exit....
Hey Ray, How much one rides the Interstates depends in part on where one lives. When we ride East thru eastern Montana the Dakotas, Wyoming, Nebraska and Kansas the interstates offer a way to get a jump on the trip. When we go to Vintage Days at the Barber Motorsport park we have ten days to make the trip of 4,400 miles round trip. We allow three days in each direction to spend four days on site to visit with friends. Couldn't do it without interstate travel. Also, there are stretches of interstate that are good rides in the mountain west. Butte to Great Falls on I-15 has some fantastic stretches.

My point is that there are, in my experience with a 2013 FJR, many times that having a 80 MPH CC limit is a huge pain in the arse.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would think Yamaha has an update. Only makes sense. Ducati constantly updates and improves ECU data and performance. I know you can change an R1 to a EU tune and gain hp and improve throttle. Sent an email to the local Yamaha dealer this morning. He has a small shop but is great to deal with. Said he wasn’t aware of anything but that didn’t mean it wasn’t out there and he would check with Yamaha for me.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, I don't think that's right. Some deep searching, if one were so inclined to do it, will reveal that an ECU from a later model year is a direct replacement.
You mean you have to swap the physical ECU? That's crazy! Why can't you update the ECU to the latest and greatest specs? I know Ducati has regular updates so for example a '15 Multistrada can be updated to have same info as '17. Lets say Ducati made an improvement to cruise for '17 that would be available as an update for all earlier years of the same generation bike. The "expensive" service you guys talk about at Ducati includes checking for and updating the ECU to latest specs. Yamaha doesn't offer that? That's nuts! It's pretty simple stuff.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Donk, not totally 100% sure about all the because when I had my flashing abs light/cruise control problem they’re flashed my ECU in addition to fixing the brake switch’s & relays. Not sure what the reflash was for and quite frankly I just wanted to get home at that point, it had been a long day.

So you might check with your dealer to see if a reflash is available, did you buy your bike from a dealer ? But to be honest, from all the great reviews Ivan’s reflash might be the best option. My .02

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Hey Ray, How much one rides the Interstates depends in part on where one lives. When we ride East thru eastern Montana the Dakotas, Wyoming, Nebraska and Kansas the interstates offer a way to get a jump on the trip. When we go to Vintage Days at the Barber Motorsport park we have ten days to make the trip of 4,400 miles round trip. We allow three days in each direction to spend four days on site to visit with friends. Couldn't do it without interstate travel. Also, there are stretches of interstate that are good rides in the mountain west. Butte to Great Falls on I-15 has some fantastic stretches.

My point is that there are, in my experience with a 2013 FJR, many times that having a 80 MPH CC limit is a huge pain in the arse.
Same for me. I have made many trips west to ride the Rockies and visit a friend near Denver. Before retiring, I could leave my office Friday after work and pull into my friend's home the following afternoon. That's 1000 miles of mostly interstate to get an additional day of riding the areas I went to ride and comradeship with a friend. I don't know how long that trip would taken trying to avoid interstates, but that'd just be time lost from my objective.

I rode the bike 7 years with an 82 mph limit on the cruise and finally just decided to bite the bullet and let Ivan flash it. I made a trip to South Dakota right after that and had no regrets.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts