Driver Foot Peg Lowering Brackets - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Driver Foot Peg Lowering Brackets

I have been making lowering brackets for the ST-1300, Concours and Vstom for a few years. I have gotten several e-mails from FJR owners that wanted the same for the FJR. "NOW" If you love scrapping the pegs, have legs that are under 40 years old, rubbery tendons or have a hard time touching the ground you might not want to read further.

I am 6'4" tall 55 years old and my knees are really tight on my new 2006 FJR. On my ST1300 and Vstrom 1000 I have lowering brackets and love them, really love them on long rides. They drop the pegs 1 1/2”, which feels like a mile when you have sore knees.

On the left side of the FJR it is a no brainier, I can trim a ST-1300 lowering bracket to fit. On the right side it is a whole different issue because of the brake pedal and pivot shaft are in the way and they can’t be moved or modified. Basically a whole new casting would have to be made to move the brake and shaft forward. The other way and easy way to accomplish this is to make the lowering bracket come out over the brake shaft then down and have the peg connect then. The down sides is the peg would be further away and out from the frame by about 1 ½” to 2”. You might even have to pivot your foot a small amount to brake. Like I said the other option is a whole new casting that holds the brake shaft and the peg plus is the wing looking item that points towards the rear peg. Remaking that casting would put the price in the couple hundred-dollar + range vs the 65 dollar range.

Bottom line is if you want comfort do you think you could live with the peg being moved out? I know that this is not for a lot of guys but we do sell a fair amount for the other model bikes so a need is there. What do you guys think?

Larry
Motorcyclelarry
You can see what they look like on a Honda at
http://motorcyclelarry.com/st1300fp.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 02:17 PM
Farkle Trainee

Re: Driver Foot Peg Lowering Brackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclelarry
You might even have to pivot your foot a small amount to brake.
How much? Just thinking out loud here, but could a plate be added to the brake pedal to extend it toward the foot so the foot wouldn't have to pivot?

palerider
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Hi Larry,
Just looked at the right side of my 06 AE. I'd be concerned that moving the right peg out 1-1 1/2" would have you dragging your pegs at much shallower lean angles. May I suggest you mock up the right side and run some twisties to see how it affects the lean angles.

I too am 55, 6'4" and sometimes feel like a cricket on the OEM pegs.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 05:25 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Re: Driver Foot Peg Lowering Brackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclelarry
If you love scraping the pegs......you might not want to read further.
I you don't love it now, you will need to learn if you lower 'em!

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

THANKS

Thanks for the input so far. I am going to make a crude prototype and go riding with my 2006 FJR and see how it feels. I like the pedal idea. On my ST I only drag the pegs when I want to. When I am going up or down the hills on inside tight corners it is pretty easy with them lowered but then I drove to Alaska and back I never scrapped the pegs just because I know where they will scrape and won't. I think once I get into whacking up some alum. bar the picture will become clearer.

But keep those ideas coming please. Hey how about since my AE does not have a clutch I will go to two hand brakes and do away with the foot brake. As George Carlin said "I have lots of ideas, just most of them su**."

Larry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page