Radiator leaking - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Radiator leaking

Have an 03 FJR thats leaking coolant from the radiator. The shop says I need a new one. The bike only has 26,000 mi on it !!! Shouldn't they last longer than that? How much would a new one cost? Could this be covered in my warranty? Is there a type of radiator guard I could install? Has anyone else had to replace a radiator? Any help or answers would be greatly appreciated. THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 10:48 PM
Farkle Trainee

@cefmanno....
Calm down.. calm down.. , you could have flicked up a stone or some other road debris into the rad...

**** happens mate, but i suggest you contact `Murf` (GB) who recently had to change his rad, might have a few pointers for you...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator
High-G FJR Junkie!

Re: Radiator leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cefmanno1
Have an 03 FJR thats leaking coolant from the radiator. The shop says I need a new one. The bike only has 26,000 mi on it !!! Shouldn't they last longer than that? How much would a new one cost? Could this be covered in my warranty? Is there a type of radiator guard I could install? Has anyone else had to replace a radiator? Any help or answers would be greatly appreciated. THANKS
To take your questions 1 by 1:

1 - Shouldn't they last longer than that? - Yes, they do. Can't recall hearing of a radiator that has spontaneously started leaking in the 4+ years I have had my FJR, and I have seen and heard of many that have gone many more miles than yours.

2 - How much would a new one cost? Ask your dealer.

3 - Could this be covered in my warranty? Depends on the cause of the leak, the length of your warranty, the radiator being correctly maintained (coolant flushes, etc) and whether the cause is covered under warranty, I guess.

4 - Is there a type of radiator guard I could install? There have been many options. Try a search on Guards and you'll find a wealth of information. (If the cause of the leak is external damage that a guard could have prevented, then the answer to 3 above is NO)

5 - Has anyone else had to replace a radiator? Sorry, can't help on this one.

IBA 21684

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I (may) did crash but I (will) did not die by accident
Brakes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Who needs brakes - they only slow you down
but when you do need them, use them with all your might

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 01:07 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Several people have reported needing to replace radiators. Most were caused by road debris damage. One guy reported seeing a couple of guys hanging around his bike and he later saw where the upper intake (metal) had been cut. His conclusion was that they were trying to set him up for a failure down the road where they could then ambush him while he was waiting for roadside assistance.

To a person (of the stories I've read), they were all able to remove their radiators and take them to a radiator repair shop for restoration.

Those who had damage from road debris then got guards and installed them. Mine is from Cox Racing. There are others out there.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 08:58 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Leaking Radiator

I had the unfortunate experience to hole the radiator on the 28th May this year on my 2005 Galaxy Blue FJR when 2 rocks cleared the mud guard and holed rows 6 & 8 .
Its a relatively simple but expensive exercise to replace Aus$350, which I did as bike is still under warranty , if it wasnt I would have just used the repaired radiator which had the 2 part paste metal that is now widely available and got me out of trouble in the middle of no where .
We were on a ride I had organised to Road Warrior Cafe near Mt White north of Sydney having ridden up from Wollongong 75klms south of Sydney , Wollongong is also the home of Wayne Gardner and Troy Corser. At Mangrove mountain after departing the Wisemans Ferry crossing they had retarred the road and a rock thrown up by a slow vehicle holed the radiator.
I would highly recommend that everyone that dose long distance touring carry a tube of this 2 part plasticine like putty around with them under the seat where it cant be to heat affected, I repaired my radiator on the side of the road got hold of some boiled water (distilled) and carried on with the ride, when I got back removed the radiator at home and had it pressure tested to 15lb as the radiator cap has 1.1 bar stamped on it and now have it as a spare radiator at home, it works a treat and dosn't cost much Aus$17 and worth its weight in gold when you are stuck in the middle of nowhere.
I have since bought some dark blue anodised mesh (small holes 5' x 1' length) Aus$25 from Super Cheap Automart and a Davis Craig Oil Cooler mounting Kit Aus$10 and made a very attractive and efficient stone gaurd that looks for all the world like it was a factory item.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page