UPDATE: Leaking shaft fluid - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

UPDATE: Leaking shaft fluid

Hello,

I am new to this forum and am enjoying it quite a bit. Learning a lot!

I just bought a new 2006 FLR1300A. I am adjusting a bit having been a cruiser rider previously, but am enjoying this a lot!

One issue I am having is that I am leaking a small amount of shaft fluid per day(no, this is not a personal problem! ). It appears might be coming from a weep hole on the underside of the frame connecting to the final shaft assembly.

Some folks have suggested the shop may have over-filled the shaft fluid during the dealer prep work, but I would have thought this would have leveled off since I have already put 200+ miles on the bike in the past five days.

It is enough to splatter a bit on the rear rim, rear tire, and the back of my left saddlebag.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 11:15 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Check out this:

http://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/maint/...upling101.html

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Bounce,

Thank you for the link. It was very helpful. It seems I am leaking much heavier than for what volume the weephole is intended, so I think I will take it in. No sense in letting a small thing become a big thing. I am wondering if the seal simply isn't set just right.

Thanks again,

Pete

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 01:04 AM
FJR Top Gun

It shouldn't be leaking - period.

As you say, take it back to the dealer and a fix under warranty - you do NOT want oil on your rear tyre do you?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 03:41 AM
Super Moderator
High-G FJR Junkie!

Pete, if it looks anything like this, then you have a leaking seal. This happened to mine at 18,000k's, replaced under warranty well over 2 years ago, not another drop since (I have also got some grease splatter after lubing when I take the rear wheel off, but that is not from the weep hole. Just too generous with the grease).

See earlier posts here:
http://www.fjrowners.ws/discus/messages/35/11013.html
http://www.fjrowners.ws/discus/messages/9/35510.html
http://www.fjrowners.ws/discus/messages/35/15590.html

IBA 21684

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I (may) did crash but I (will) did not die by accident
Brakes
Who needs brakes - they only slow you down
but when you do need them, use them with all your might
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 09:40 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Leaking Shaft Oil.

FjrPete,

Best take it back to the shop. You can't "overfill" the shaft hub, its on a slant and will only fill to a maximum level before it spills everywhere.

Good luck, hope you get you're Baby back soon.

Regards, Glenn.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 12:51 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Nice page there Bounce.

|
|
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 10:25 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

SkooterG did the heavy lifting. I'm just the painter.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Leaking shaft fluid UPDATE

I took the bike in and they took apart the rear end. The mechanic cleaned up everything and simply refilled it. He said it was over-filled with the rear shaft fluid. The pressure build-up forced some of the fluid out past the seal and out the weep hole.

I mentioned that some of you had said it "can't be over-filled", but his point was the holding capacity was more than the recommended volume to fill.

After I got home, there were still a couple of drops coming out, so I will need to keep watching it and let you know what ends up happening. My bet is the seal needs replacing.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 12:37 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Re: Leaking shaft fluid UPDATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRPete
I took the bike in and they took apart the rear end. The mechanic cleaned up everything and simply refilled it. He said it was over-filled with the rear shaft fluid. The pressure build-up forced some of the fluid out past the seal and out the weep hole.

I mentioned that some of you had said it "can't be over-filled", but his point was the holding capacity was more than the recommended volume to fill.

After I got home, there were still a couple of drops coming out, so I will need to keep watching it and let you know what ends up happening. My bet is the seal needs replacing.
I recently got a 2006 FJR here in Denmark. It was delayed on delivery while they waited for a "special oil" for the shaft. Apparently, Yamaha recently put out the word that ONLY Yamaha shaft oil should be used, since other gear oils were foaming and creating pressure in the shaft. According to my dealer, this is especially acute in the 2006 FJR. Might be interesting to find out what oil your dealer used.

Dana
Expat in Denmark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page