Givi Topbox Mounting Bracket - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Jwm
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via MSN to Jwm
Givi Topbox Mounting Bracket

Having just suffered a givi To Box mounting bracket failure, I would suggest that all persons who have this item installed on their bikes should take the time and trouble to check theirs to see if it is starting to fracture. My opinion is that this problem is caused by metal fatigue relating to flex in the rear part of the bracket as a result of uneven road surfaces (bounce).
I was running a 45 litre top box and the mounting bracket fractured on both sides just behind the cross member for the rear support bracket. Looking at the mounting bracket after I removed it, I noticed that the fractures on both sides were discoloured by rust marks indicating that the fracture has been slowly progressing for some time.
I have had my top box installed for approximately 2 yrs and do mostly solo riding.
You will have to physically look under the bracket to see if it is damaged as the plastic plate which fits onto the bracket and holds the top box hides the issue from normal observation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 11:59 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Jwm, I have just taken my Givi top box rack off my old bike, and I can't use it on the new bike because the sub-frame of the new bike is all different.

My rack is not the tubular style new rack, but the origional cast aluminium rack. You can have this rack if you want it, though I can't let you have the Box mounting plate because I have mounted it separately on my new bike. Your Box mounting plate should fit onto my rack without any problems.

Let me know by email if you interested. I can send you photos if you want to see it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 02:04 AM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via Yahoo to JamesK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie
Jwm, I have just taken my Givi top box rack off my old bike, and I can't use it on the new bike because the sub-frame of the new bike is all different.

My rack is not the tubular style new rack, but the origional cast aluminium rack. You can have this rack if you want it, though I can't let you have the Box mounting plate because I have mounted it separately on my new bike. Your Box mounting plate should fit onto my rack without any problems.

Let me know by email if you interested. I can send you photos if you want to see it.
Bernie, I gather you've got the 06 FJR? If yes, then what kind of GIVI bracket and mounting have you used to fit on the 06 FJR, and which model bike was the Specific Plate for? The pretty ugly looking universal or the neat triangular? Please share your findings
I am using the Universal plate on my other bike, an old CB750, but would like to use the much nicer looking E680 Plate on the 06 FJR.

E680 Specific Plate

Universal plate

Maxia E52 this is my GIVI Top Box (in black)

IBA # 27221

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Jwm
Farkle Trainee

Thanks Bernie but at this stage I have welded and strengthened the old rack. I'll see how it goes and keep yours in mind if somebody else doesn't grab it from you.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 04:16 AM
Farkle Trainee

Jwm,

Correct me if i'm wrong but what your saying is that the Givi rack is too stiff? the bike is flexing and the rack is not hence the stress fractures?

I have an R Jays top box and am in the process of making a mounting plate of my own to mount on top of the stock rack.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Jwm
Farkle Trainee

Thommo, what I'm saying is that the back of the rack is flexing, probably because of the weight and positioning of the top box, together with the rough road surfaces. Because of continual flexing the rack is eventually developing fractures in the unsupported rear portion. The fractures in my rack were immediately in front of single back support bracket and cross member.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator
High-G FJR Junkie!

I think I recall reading of a similar failure in the UK quite some time ago, and also showing telltale rust signs. I had my mounting plate off last week looking for space to fit LED brake light, and did a very quick check for cracks in the rack. I think I'll do a more careful check, though. Only takes 5 minutes to remove and refit the mounting plate. I had my rack powder coated before I fitted it, so if the rust started from outside due to poor finishing then I may have added protection.

IBA 21684

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I (may) did crash but I (will) did not die by accident
Brakes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Who needs brakes - they only slow you down
but when you do need them, use them with all your might
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 10:49 AM
Farkle Trainee

Oh ok, I stand corrected i now get what is happening
the way my R Jays clips onto the mounting plate supplied with it, well.. at even the speed limit it bounces and shakes rather bad, to much actaully.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page