Engine Output Increase - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 10:56 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Well you could always go to the Yamaha shop and order a couple of the V-MAX elephant ears they call forced induction/ ram air vents and figure out a way to apply to our air box.

Glenn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I figured I had to get that burst of "inspiration" out before it was swamped by the "Have To's" of family life. There is a strong probability these suggestions will remain in my "To Do" file. Please feel free to build on them or tear these suggestions to shreds - as I have mentioned in earlier posts, I've got a fairly thick hide. There are a lot of people out there smarter than I am........

Roughly paraphrasing Douglas Adams:

" true age is relative to the degree of pain experienced when confronted with a new concept "
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 04:44 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Air box mods

Well I wont claim to know a graet deal about all the dynamics that are involved with mods like this but I will just tell you guys what I have done.

First. I left the inside cap off of the airbox. The one that uses 3 Phillips scews to hold in place.
Second. the plastic tubular shaped piece that inserts one third into the air filter itself. I have cut a U-shape out of the surface that faces the front of the bike. This In my opinion lets air reach the inlet ports easier.
Third (this is the bold one).. The surface that the air filter nets up against when you push it on. I carefully laid out the centre of this and using a 1 3/8 hole saw drilled thru. On the other side I simply glued an 1 1/2 ABS 22 degree elbow pointing down and a little towards the rear of the bike. RAM air, but not really at the same time.

I also installed a new Throttle Position Sensor and the same time. (mine was acting up at low RPMs.

Now for the results.

More deep sound when under full power (love that)
Seems to Rev up quicker.
I am spinning the rear more for sure
The front end creeps up with quick Second Gear changes (never has before with 30000 KM on the clock)

I think that the mod was a complete success. I think that the bike runs better than it has ever run before to. (bold statement I know)

As far as any damaging effects, I know of none.

I suppose pics will be requested at some time..but I think you can follow the idea easily.

If there I one regret it is doing all these at one time. Now it is hard to really say that any one thing has made the most improvment. Thats the risk in modifying too much at one time..

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 05:28 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterburn
One could use something like this: http://www.electricsupercharger.com/eram2.php

Electric supercharger, 1psi pressure, claims to add 15hp for for mere $300. Or take the 1.7psi two stage electric blower and gain a claimed 27hp.
Where are you going to get the 833 Watts required to drive this?
Chris
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 03:34 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Re: Air box mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by aavmannn
Well I wont claim to know a graet deal about all the dynamics that are involved with mods like this but I will just tell you guys what I have done.
I thought of doing something like you have just done, but I assumed the extra air pressure would go strait out the otherside! and didnt bother in the end!
So your end result is worth it then!
I'll have to give it a rethink now.

Is there any chance you could block it off for a while and see if the TPS maybe someway helping?

FJR gone sorry chaps.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugR
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterburn
One could use something like this: http://www.electricsupercharger.com/eram2.php

Electric supercharger, 1psi pressure, claims to add 15hp for for mere $300. Or take the 1.7psi two stage electric blower and gain a claimed 27hp.
Where are you going to get the 833 Watts required to drive this?
Chris
From the battery. It only operates on full-throttle, so the battery should be able to take it (starting takes more juice) unless you run full-throttle all the time.

Personally, I think the FJR has plenty. It just delivers it in a somewhat boring way.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 04:44 AM
Farkle Trainee

Better look at the example install pics. That thing isn't small.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 11:15 PM
Training wheels fitted!

woody... sure can..it would be as easy as capping the elbow with one of the fitted caps.
weather in Toronto is a littel cool this week so wait a bit and stay tuned for the update.
I would however start with the cutting of the tube that enters the airfilter first. seems the air has to travel to far and kind od misses the intake of the first cylinder.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page