OIL light in first 2 miles? - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 10:02 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

How do you know what type of oil the factory, or anyone else, has put in the motor????

That's why I always do my own oil changes, so I know what's going in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Castrol Formula SLX is a fully synthetic and as I posted a little while ago, they print a warning in their tech spec "The low friction characteristics of CASTROL FORMULA SLX makes it unsuitable for most motorcycles that incorporate wet clutches in combined engine and transmission systems." Though I've just rung my dealer who confirms that he has been servicing mine with a synthetic for the past four years. So I guess there are synthetics and then there are synthetics? Bears out the old adage RTFM!
________
Rolls-Royce Motor Cars
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 11:51 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malki
The oil warning light is pressure based, not soley for the oil level. The sight glass on the left of the engine is for checking the oil level. If the oil level is low enough to bring the light on, it means the engine has no oil pressure anyway, so it's a must stop situation, it is next to nil level or an oil pump problem (doubtful)
I would suggest a fault in the switch before looking for any other problem.
I've had mine anywhere between -12c and +42c and never once saw the light come on.
IIRC the earlier models (US 2003 for example) are oil LEVEL based and not pressure based. A good hit on the throttle could move the oil level to the back of the pan and cause the light to come on in some cases. I think Mammy Yammy changed that somewhere along the way.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 11:53 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves
Quote:
Originally Posted by malki
the FJR comes from the factory with fully synthetic oil and should never be changed back to a mineral 20/50 or similar
That must be new to the '06 as this was not so on earlier versions.
I'd have to agree. Up until recently the owners manual and factory service manual recommended Yamalube 20w40. That's a full dino oil; not a synth or blend.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 05:15 AM
Farkle Trainee

Back to the original subject. I don't think this is right. The oil light should NOT be coming on. Take the bike back and get it checked out.

Alan
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 01:18 PM
FJR Top Gun

This happened a couple of times to me - BUT - this was like four years ago.

I think the problem was riding the bike before it was fully warmed up.

It has never happened since.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 01:30 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My 1989 FZR 1000 did this constantly when cold, my '98 R1 did it occasionally, my '03 FJR never did it. I was hoping they had this one figured out.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 04:13 PM
Farkle Trainee

I posted this same 'issue' a couple of years ago, had a great explanation from Torch, who we don't see any more , his explanation related to a mechanical level sensor in the case and hard acceleration or banking the bike significantly when it is cold can cause the light to come on. I can duplicate it when the weather is cold any time on a specific bit of road if I jump on after work and just go. Most times now, I let the old girl ('04) warm up while I put my ear plugs in, helmet and gloves on, and the rpms have settled down to 1,100, then I go with no false alarms.

The lust for thrust.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 06:27 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Send a message via MSN to mbanjaru
Oil Level

Just a spin on the whole subject of oil. I don't wish to debate the pro's and con's of synth or mineral, I just want to know who checks their oil in the level window hot and who checks it cold. I have just phoned my service agent to question the overfilling of my '03 ABS, services after great 3600km ride along South Africa's east coast and arid interior. The techie stated that he only checks the level window when it's hot? I am now doubting my own logic. If this has been debated at length before, forgive my ignorance.

Johan van Heerden
2007 Yamaha FJR 1300 ABS Silver, Top Box, Garmin Quest
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 10:45 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I believe the manual says to check it after running it a bit after an oil change so I suppose that means it should be checked hot, or at least pretty warm. I don't think a few extra ounces will hurt anything. An extra quart could be a problem. Not sure how much overfill it will tolerate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page