Battery access? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Battery access?

Well I will preface this by saying that sadly I am not the most gifted with a spanner!

Tried to get at the battery last night to wire my Oximiser. Got to the negative terminal in a flash (so to speak!) but can I remove the panel to get to the positive terminal - no. The handbook says remove the 2 quick fasteners and remove, but what is the trick here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 03:44 AM
Farkle Trainee

Try this page.

http://www.micapeak.com/bike/FJR1300...ashpanels.html

Lots of patience required and don't force anything. They will come off, be careful of the paintwork, it tends to be soft and very easily scratched.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 04:25 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Re: Battery access?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarMan
Well I will preface this by saying that sadly I am not the most gifted with a spanner!

Tried to get at the battery last night to wire my Oximiser. Got to the negative terminal in a flash (so to speak!) but can I remove the panel to get to the positive terminal - no. The handbook says remove the 2 quick fasteners and remove, but what is the trick here?
To remove the second plastic shield you will find 2 Stainless bolts and 1 Quick fastener which is in the centre underneath the clocks.

Then a bit of jiggling to get it off.

FJR gone sorry chaps.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 05:00 AM
Farkle Trainee

And when you are hauling on the spanner to undo the terminal, be very careful not to slip & let the other end of the spanner touch anything metal or it gets a bit more exciting - of course no one would be stupid enough to do that
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Thank you one and all - sounds perfectly simple so with renewed confidence I shall try again later.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 05:45 AM
Farkle Trainee

AND...When you remove the + / - terminals, there is a small rectangular piece of metal under the terminal that you screw into, take care these dont drop out of the battery and into the bodywork as they are a bastid' to find...especially when you dont even realise you've lost one, till you go to put battery back and dont know where it fell out...or so they tell me *cough*..
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 05:51 AM
Farkle Trainee

AND...In case you havn't sussed it yet, you remove the quick fasteners by pressing the little bit in the middle in, then make sure the middle bit bit is pushed out to put back again, take care not to force these as they are not that strong and can break fairly easily...Have fun..
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 06:00 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
AND...When you remove the + / - terminals, there is a small rectangular piece of metal under the terminal that you screw into
I find it helpful to slide a sliver of matchstick or piece of card under these to help offer them back up to the screw, they can be buggers to get back into, particulary if you already have a few extra's wired to the battery.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 07:18 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
The quick fastener under clocks on mine is the screw type not the push type.

FJR gone sorry chaps.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 07:28 AM
Farkle Trainee

While we are on the subject, I think its a crazy idea hiding the battery away inside the fairing, especially a battery that causes so much bother. They might have at least fitted a flip lid in the panels to make it more accessible for charging Etc. God knows how many times I got up on a Sunday morning, got all the gear on, only to find the bike went 'click' when the button was pushed.
Gear off, panels off, jump start, panels on, a Royal pain in the ass. Sorted later with a battery tender, but a thoughtless design...just my tuppenceworth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page