Cruise control issues and questions about diagnostics - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Cruise control issues and questions about diagnostics

So my cruise control has been acting up lately. Twice now while riding and using CC without any issues at all the CC light just starts flashing and won't work anymore. This morning when it happened again I got to work and shut off the bike. Turn it back on, ignition only and press the CC button. Stays illuminated for several seconds then starts flashing. As soon as it starts flashing the multi fiction display stops showing the trip information and just shows the number 90.

What does the 90 mean? Would think this means something simple like the diagnostic system has a fault in it's history.

I've already went through the CC self diagnostics and cleaned up the sensors. No idea what can be causing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 10:29 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
I think I have seen (here) about a half dozen problems in as many months where a flaky battery caused an off the wall problem.

Lesson: We need to start asking about battery condition.
How's your battery condition?
JohnC likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I just read through the other thread, definitely interesting. Battery seems strong and it starts up quickly every time. Tonight I will run through the self diagnostics again, next step will be battery and fuse access.

It's a 2013, not sure how long our batteries last on average. Obviously that varies heavily on a lot of different parameters

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 10:55 AM
Farkle Trainee

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 12:55 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1300a View Post
I just read through the other thread, definitely interesting. Battery seems strong and it starts up quickly every time. Tonight I will run through the self diagnostics again, next step will be battery and fuse access.
Unfortunately, with all the electronics a Series III has, that doesn't mean that much.

When idling, your battery should measure 14.20 - 14.25 volts. Less than oh, 14.0 volts or so and I would say you have a problem with the battery or charging system. It really does not take much.

All the 1.0 amp Cruise Control fuse feeds is the control line for the interlock through the Clutch Switch, Front and Rear Brake Switch, and the Grip Cancel Switch (located on the Throttle Body Assy.) to the ECU.

I would guess that any Series III is new enough that you shouldn't have any problems with the wiring.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

When I was messing around with the diagnostic system yesterday I thought I saw a voltage reading. Can't remember what it was. Hopefully I can check it today

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Cruise control issues and questions about diagnostics

Looks like I've figured it out. Started running through the diagnostics checks until I got to the one that tests the front brake. The diagnostic system tests on off condition for the switch, but the brake light is also an indicator. Occasionally upon pressing the front brake the brake light would remain on after releasing. Pressing and releasing a few times turned the light off. Each time I got the brake light to stay on, the CC light starts flashing and doesn't stop until turning ignition off and on.

I haven't analyzed the wire diagrams yet, but I don't believe this is a switch near the brake lever that is sticking. After cleaning things up it seems to be connected to the brake pedal switch. However, the brake pedal never caused the light to stay on and passed the diagnostic check without issue. So I'm thinking it has to be some switch shared by both brakes

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 04:20 AM
Training wheels fitted!

2017 Model used as a Blood Bike, miles 42k
Recently dropping out of cruise, front brake micro switch assembly replaced, all good for 500 miles.
Newish problem, frequently it fails to engage cruise, but if it does it operates normally.
I suspect there may be a relay failing to latch on request.
Any thoughts and advice greatly appreciated.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 11:20 AM
Farkle Trainee

The front and rear brake switches and the clutch switch can all disconnect or prevent the CC from engaging. I would start there.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles bike=miles
smiles miles=bike.
It's simple math.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 11:40 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Biker View Post
2017 Model used as a Blood Bike, miles 42k
Recently dropping out of cruise, front brake micro switch assembly replaced, all good for 500 miles.
Newish problem, frequently it fails to engage cruise, but if it does it operates normally.
I suspect there may be a relay failing to latch on request.
Any thoughts and advice greatly appreciated.
No relays involved. It's all electronics and interlock switches.

Check the CC page in the attached wiring diagram. That page should be little different from your 2017.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FJR Electrical Diagram 2013A-2015A.pdf (4.70 MB, 6 views)

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page