Speedometer problem - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Qbs
Training wheels fitted!

Speedometer problem

Hello All

I've been riding a 2008 FJR semi-auto for a number of years. Some time ago the speedometer started playing up. When the bike is stationary and I rev the engine, the speedometer hand follows the rev counter. I've noticed, the odometer also carries on ticking over... When bike starts moving, the speedo reverts to its correct operation. Any ideas about what might be causing the problem? I suspect an earthing issue but frankly I don't know where to begin fixing it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Qbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 04:28 PM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via AIM to lagain
The speedo gets its information from the rear wheel ABS sensor. You will probably find that the sensor is seized in the hub. If it is not you will only need to replace the sensor. The cable is not very long, just trace it back and disconnect it. If the sensor is seized in the hub you will need to replace both. Wipe the metal holder part of the sensor with a tiny amount of grease to try and prevent it seizing again, you only need very little and do not get it on the sensor itself.
When I had a similar problem I took my 2008 FJR to a dealer at Crawley in West Sussex. Their diagnosis was that the wiring loom was faulty and needed replacing at a cost of 1500 ! let us know how you get on

Past bikes; Honda 50 Suzuki 50 Yam XS250 Yam XJ650 Yam XJ 900 Honda CX650 Turbo Yam FJ1100 Yam FJ1200 (2) Honda ST1100 (2) Yam FJR1300 (5) 670,000 miles !

Current FJR 2018 AE in Support Stocking Grey - yuk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 05:19 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbs View Post
Hello All

I've been riding a 2008 FJR semi-auto for a number of years. Some time ago the speedometer started playing up. When the bike is stationary and I rev the engine, the speedometer hand follows the rev counter. I've noticed, the odometer also carries on ticking over... When bike starts moving, the speedo reverts to its correct operation. Any ideas about what might be causing the problem? I suspect an earthing issue but frankly I don't know where to begin fixing it.

Qbs
Why do you need to fix it? LOL Says the guy who can't do anything that doesn't require WD40 {too tight} or duct tape {too loose}

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 08:14 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbs View Post
Hello All

Qbs
it could be a few suspects

if you have ANY accessories wired into ANY 12volt / hot wire
disconnect ...... essentially Isolate !!

check any other wiring in the vicinity of the instrument cluster

you are correct you might have a bad 12v / negative ground

not unusual in a vehicle that age
moisture
riding in rain
washing
dew late evening settling on bike
can cause corison ................. that powdery white / green crap
that can cause problems
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Qbs
Training wheels fitted!

Hey Guys

Thanks for your help! I suspect the ABS sensor is not at fault as the speedo works fine when the bike is moving. It seems like there is an additional feed/leak to the speedo then the bike is stationary, causing the speed hand deflection. However, I will try to source the ABS sensor and replace it.

I will also check the earthing...

You're right, strictly speaking I don't need to fix it but it's a bit of a pain knowing that the bike isn't 100%. If it is an earthing issue then it will get worse in time! Needs to be sorted.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Qbs
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 04:05 PM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via AIM to lagain
As I said previously it is probably the rear wheel ABS sensor, have you tried removing the sensor ?
My problem was exactly the same. If you trace the wiring back from the sensor to the connector and disconnect it the ABS light will probably come on but the speedo needle will stop waving at you.
2GENAE likes this.

Past bikes; Honda 50 Suzuki 50 Yam XS250 Yam XJ650 Yam XJ 900 Honda CX650 Turbo Yam FJ1100 Yam FJ1200 (2) Honda ST1100 (2) Yam FJR1300 (5) 670,000 miles !

Current FJR 2018 AE in Support Stocking Grey - yuk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 06:48 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
This is just a shot in the dark, but ....... there are 2 low current spider connectors that are not part of the "normal" neutral return circuits.

These contain a separate neutral circuits, amongst others, from the ABS ECU, ECU and the dash multi function meter. Being electronics, I'd suggest that it's something like a 5 Volt neutral return.

There is also the Front Cowling Connector #3 that contains the normal spider neutral high current circuit as well as the separate low current neutral circuit.

Weird faults may happen if there is a high resistance connector on the electronic grounds.

That connector #3 is down by the S6 neutral connector and subject to corrosion.

The 2 neutral's in the front cowling harness, the normal spider high current and electronic neutrals.

I think from memory, the dash multi function meter neutral was in spider connector S5, Black / White wires, under the tank, RHS near the temperature sender.

Shouldn't take long to check and clean up the connectors.
Use some carbon grease to stop any high resistance. Dialectic grease is an insulator and shouldn't be used in this instance.

PS I'd also seat & re-seat the connectors on the ECU and ABS ECU a few times, could be high resistance on the pins there.
Wouldn't use carbon grease on those particular connectors, create a short circuit.
justacrossthehill likes this.

In Thrust we Trust

2014 FJR AE ....The Aussie ES
2013 Stelvio NTX
2010 Spyder RT-S Limited Edition
2007 GSX1400
2002 TL1000R

Last edited by Queensland Ken; 09-05-2014 at 07:14 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 08:53 PM
fng
Trainee Sport Tourer

[QUOTE=Queensland Ken;474714]This is just a shot in the dark, but ....... there are 2 low current spider connectors that are not part of the "normal" neutral return circuits.

Ken: I think what you are describing is a signal reference plane which must be kept isolated from the ground reference for sensitive electronics to function correctly. Caution is advised even when using a VOM to check continuity. Modern day BMW's are notorious for this.

Tim
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 09:38 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
I haven't had the need to check out those circuits, but according to the circuit diagrams their neutrals are tied to ground, ie the frame of the bike.

There isn't a separate 5 volt power supply within the bike's electrics.

The 3 major components that utilize 5 volt / signal references, the ECU, ABS ECU and the Multi Function Meter would need a ground reference to clamp the 5 volts and eliminate any floating voltages, eg ABS sensor back to the ABS ECU then ECU.

And yep, I'd use a high impedance meter or some damage could occur. Don't know what type of I/O they are but it would be electrically "noisy".

The more I think about the original post, 10:1 it is a connector pin on ABS ECU or ECU connectors.

In Thrust we Trust

2014 FJR AE ....The Aussie ES
2013 Stelvio NTX
2010 Spyder RT-S Limited Edition
2007 GSX1400
2002 TL1000R
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Qbs
Training wheels fitted!

Lagain... you're a star!! I tried removing the rear ABS sensor today. It's just like you said. The problem disappears when sensor disconnected. It seems that the ABS sensor is at fault after all. I shall buy and replace. Thank you for your help. Thanks all and speak soon no doubt!!

Qbs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page