2013 fjr battery access? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Unhappy 2013 fjr battery access?

Just got a new 13 feejer and cant believe what a joke it is getting to battery! Wondering if anyone has thought of or has cut open the flat fairing over battery (where the indent is ) and made some kind of access door?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Ah, the joys of the battery compartment, I believe they've made it slightly harder to get into on the '13.

Once in fit an optimiser & hopefully you won't need to open it too often afterwards, except for farkles.

BSA 125 Bantam, BSA Gold Star, Honda Farm Bike, Z250, Z440, XJ750, Malagutti 100, ER-6F,
Black '09 Gen II World
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

I do plan to install a hook up for my battery tender, but my point is how about a dead battery needing jump or blown fuse on the side of the road (heavn forbid its at night!) Im serious its a [email protected]#$$ to get apart!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I was just getting ready to post a question about getting to the battery. Are the instructions in the Owners Manual? or should I look elsewhere? Got my Garmin mount placed last weekend and was planning on doing the wiring this weekend but not if it will take me all day. I would rather ride get lost, find my way home and then do it again instead of having to tear the bike apart. Where is the best place to put a "Fuze Block" in so you don't have to get to the battery every time?

Rod
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 01:36 AM
Training wheels fitted!

My dealer was nice enough to install an optimizer at no charge.
As i learned while installing my "factory" engine guards, EVERTHING starts with the removal of the panel around the instrument cluster.
I started bottom up, oops! Haha.
I spent $150 on the manual after that.
3hrs to remove fairings. Once i figured it out, 1hr to reassemble.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 10:01 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The owners manual tells you how to get in. Yes, it's a bit involved but unless you're hopelessly inept, it can easily be done. And as has been said here, put a pig tail on it for a Battery Tender+ then you'll likely not have to do it again for at least 5 years. Plus, you'll have all you need to jump start it at your fingertips.

2013 FJR plus a few others
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Farkle Trainee

The trick is to remove the 4 allen heads and 2 push pins on the front cowling around the instrument panel.

Hold the mirror mount with one hand and wiggle the cone shaped part of the cowling until it seperates. Repeat on other side and remove cowling. You can now remove the battery access panel.

I was a bit worried, it takes all of 5 minutes.

2013 FJR
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 09:52 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
The trick is to remove the 4 allen heads and 2 push pins on the front cowling around the instrument panel.

Hold the mirror mount with one hand and wiggle the cone shaped part of the cowling until it seperates. Repeat on other side and remove cowling. You can now remove the battery access panel.

Good to know. Might try to tackle it tomorrow. Had to ride some today. Knew where I was going and didn't care what time I got there.

Rod
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 07:21 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_g View Post

Thanks for the tip! Gonna try myself one of these days....
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I'm not going to say how others will spend their five minutes to get to the battery. But, I'm going to spend a couple of those five minutes removing the light adjusting knobs first. Then I might spend the next 3 minutes wondering how someone could do the job in five. Then I might wonder why I have more quick fasteners and less allens than some. Maybe my 2013 is different than others. Maybe others were talking about prior years. Maybe I really don't even want to try and remove the panel now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page