Compression adjustment leaking - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 04:17 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Compression Adjuster Screw

Hi, Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but what was the final solution?

Are these parts serviceable, or does it need to be a new fork tube?

I have the same problem, fortunately/unfortunately, my dealer managed to do the damage.

Thanks in advance.

Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 05:03 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Had the same problem on my 2005 FJR. One of my compression rebound damping adjusters started leaking. It happened a few months after I replaced the oil and seals. The dealer said that the caps are not serviceable and would have to replace - 175.00 each! Obviously there is an o-ring in there that has given up - to bad they appear to be permanently assembled with press in caps.
I was able to get it to stop leaking by turning the adjuster all the way in tight. So-far so good and I like the bike's handling better now. Seems more planted.

Also - it's not the tube it's the cap

Last edited by fashby; 03-02-2016 at 05:10 PM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 04:23 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I have a 2008 FJR that I bought new that has developed leaks at both lower compression adjustments. This is my first post so may not have full access to what I need. Do I need to replace the lower fork tubes, very costly and labor intensive I would guess.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 05:28 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

You don't h ave a location in your profile, so I don't know where you are. My recommendation is to call a local suspension shop, failing that, call Cogent Dynamics in Fletcher, NC... they work on all kinds of bike suspensions.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 04:26 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I have a 2008 FJR that I bought new that has developed leaks at both lower compression adjustments. This is my first post so may not have full access to what I need. Do I need to replace the lower fork tubes, very costly and labor intensive I would guess.
Are you sure its a leak from the compression adjustment because its very rare and you have both leaking - never seen that one before in the 13 years ive been here.

It may be the fork seals leaking and you are just seeing it drip off the compression adjusters? i would wash off the fork legs and double check your diagnostic.

If its the fork seals there may be a solution before you go stripping the forks down come back and let us know.
RaYzerman likes this.

05 FJR Silver & Blue
19 plate MT10SP / crazy but i love it
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:03 AM
Farkle Trainee

There is one other place it could be leaking from, the bolt that goes up from the bottom of the fork, on a bike this old it must have had at least one fork rebuild before now and the bolts could be leaking.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:16 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
You don't h ave a location in your profile, so I don't know where you are. My recommendation is to call a local suspension shop, failing that, call Cogent Dynamics in Fletcher, NC... they work on all kinds of bike suspensions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar View Post
Are you sure its a leak from the compression adjustment because its very rare and you have both leaking - never seen that one before in the 13 years ive been here.

It may be the fork seals leaking and you are just seeing it drip off the compression adjusters? i would wash off the fork legs and double check your diagnostic.

If its the fork seals there may be a solution before you go stripping the forks down come back and let us know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan smithy View Post
There is one other place it could be leaking from, the bolt that goes up from the bottom of the fork, on a bike this old it must have had at least one fork rebuild before now and the bolts could be leaking.
I will clean off both to be certain. I am in the Pensacola FL area FWIW. I don't see any sign of oil above the adjusters but better to be 100% sure before doing anything. I have the service manual so am aware of the drain bolts above the axle.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:08 AM
Farkle Trainee

Have you checked what the settings of the lower damping screws are at, you may have to back them off a bit, then see if it still leaks.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 02:43 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan smithy View Post
Have you checked what the settings of the lower damping screws are at, you may have to back them off a bit, then see if it still leaks.
I have not messed with them yet but that is the plan. Run them full in then back out to close to mid setting but not quite.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page